The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I didn't mention him because the discussion was regarding big defenders who skate well. Cleveland's skating looks ok but pretty meh. That said, from everything I've seen, he's the meanest, toughest, hardest-hitting defenseman in this draft.

That's interesting you say that.  I haven't payed much attention beyond he's been on the ice in games I have watched and am somewhat familiar. 

Gavin McCarthy to me without having the size of course of Cleveland is a guy who has the most aggression to his game while still managing a respectably high level of play. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Any chance all the players the Canucks took out for dinners were a complete smoke screen and they pick someone like Simashev,Honzek,Sale,

Ive been wondering if Danielson is a smoke screen, though maybe it's just cause I'm not the biggest fan.

Its been pretty quiet on Simashev around the league, you have to think teams in our range really like him.

27 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I didn't mention him because the discussion was regarding big defenders who skate well. Cleveland's skating looks ok but pretty meh. That said, from everything I've seen, he's the meanest, toughest, hardest-hitting defenseman in this draft.

He certainly creates a lot of power plays for opposing teams given his high number of penalty minutes, but he’s a big 18 y.o..

31 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thoughts on Quentin Musty ?

3 minutes ago, Tank4Bedard said:

Love a playmaker pwf. I mean that's what you really want from a pwf a guy who draws defenders and dishes leaving snipers with all the time and space. His IQ is great his sauce needs work lots of passes miss the mark that being said he  creates a ton of opportunities. Skating needs work but he's super young. I always ask myself when skating isn't a kids strong suit not will he be the next Bo and suddenly become a burner but instead is he smart enough to make it work if he only picks up a step or 2? I think he is. I dunno about pick 11 but I really like Musty as a prospect as much as I like a guy like Dvorsky. There's huge upside on display or at the very least you get a great 3rd liner. 15-20 I'm a Musty fan. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is exactly, what I'm talking about... now if he can skate and defend as well, I'll be honest, I could care less about his points...

Guddy, with the ability to defend. Yes please, please, please....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I wonder where he's going to go. I got the hockeyprospect.com black book & they have him 3rd round #91 overall.

Bottom pair potential but he hits like a mac truck & is willing to eat shots. Agree his skating is pretty meh but still an intriguing guy imo. Super throwback.  

31 minutes ago, Tank4Bedard said:

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Love a playmaker pwf. I mean that's what you really want from a pwf a guy who draws defenders and dishes leaving snipers with all the time and space. His IQ is great his sauce needs work lots of passes miss the mark that being said he  creates a ton of opportunities. Skating needs work but he's super young. I always ask myself when skating isn't a kids strong suit not will he be the next Bo and suddenly become a burner but instead is he smart enough to make it work if he only picks up a step or 2? I think he is. I dunno about pick 11 but I really like Musty as a prospect as much as I like a guy like Dvorsky. There's huge upside on display or at the very least you get a great 3rd liner. 15-20 I'm a Musty fan. 

I'd add his compete level has been an issue, quite inconsistent. I also don't like how often he's perimeter oriented for a guy that size. But you can't deny the playmaking ability & great shot (tho you'd love him to use it more).

One of those boom/bust types imo. I'm not quite as high but might still be in my 1st round, or early second. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go 10-20 on draft day. 

6 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Yzerman at 9 will be taking the faller of BPA at forward. I’m confident we will be drafting Willander if there isn’t some sort of agreement with Michkov. 

Simishev could be a wildcard and to me Willander and Simishev are interchangeable and both a need. 

We need players who can defend and play defence. 

My gut and logic are both telling me that Willander will be our guy. And after watching him play a lot during the U18 tourney I’d be all for it. I feel like he’s exactly the type of player we need; a solid and steady RHD that can skate well. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Brady Cleveland too, from the NTDP. Big & physical DFD

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

That's interesting you say that.  I haven't payed much attention beyond he's been on the ice in games I have watched and am somewhat familiar. 

Gavin McCarthy to me without having the size of course of Cleveland is a guy who has the most aggression to his game while still managing a respectably high level of play. 

All good prospects that I want us to target, they'll take a few years, but we need those in the system. 
As for Cleveland, as long as they don't see him as another Gudbransson, with dynamite in his gloves, but lead in his skates...

They need to be able to skate as well...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a good write up on Willander here by Chris Peters: 

https://www.flohockey.tv/rankings/8222664-2023-nhl-draft-rankings-chris-peters/45822-2023-nhl-draft-rankings-connor-bedard-adam-fantilli-top-flohockeys-final-list

17. Tom Willander, D, Rogle U20 (Sweden U20)

A rare European player that is bound for NCAA hockey, Willander played exclusively at the U20 level in Sweden this year. While he did not showcase a particularly high-end offensive toolkit, he is a tremendous skater and high-end defender. Willander can be physical and has a good defensive stick. Additionally, his footwork is such that he’s difficult to beat wide. He can close gaps quickly and also has good recovery speed. Meanwhile, he can get pucks up ice and makes good reads both offensively and defensively. Just don’t look for Willander to be a major point producer from the back end. He still does more than enough to garner a top-four slot down the line

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Take it for what it’s worth, michkov doesn’t follow any Washington capital players on instagram but follows both Kuzmenko and podkolzin I have a hard time seeing his plan to head to Washington 

Now that’s interesting.. if millstein was his agent we’d really be cooking

cause he was all TRUST me vancouver big things are coming to van lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Maybe before they got rid of Samsonov and Orlov. Kuznetsov is on the trade block and Ovi’s contract is up at the same time as his in Russia. By the time he comes over he might be the only Russian there. 

That’s an interesting look at it but they did draft miro and the symbolism

of passing a torch from ovie to Michkov would be pretty cool 

15 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

I haven't followed the prospects this year but looking at the list, what are the chances Ryan Leonard drops to 11?

That guy looks like he is going to be a stud

Unfortunately I just can’t see him falling out of the top ten. I would be shocked if a team like St Louis passed on him, then again crazier things have happened (like the Redwings passing on the University of Michigan phenom Quinn Hughes lol). 

I’m really liking three of the top RHD (Reinbacher, Sandin-Pellika, and Willander), but I would still take Leonard over any of them. Leonard is an explosive, power forward stud!

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

"He has high-end compete, grittiness, a big shot and the willingness to be the guy that stirs the pot when his team needs a spark." 

On Ryan Leonard

Sounds very similar to a player in this years Stanley cup finals.

How amazing if we traded up for him. 11oa+ Lekkerimaki for the 5th/6th pick

Edited by LucBourdon28

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That’s an interesting look at it but they did draft miro and the symbolism

of passing a torch from ovie to Michkov would be pretty cool 

I wonder what's the nature of the relationship between Michkov and Miro at this point. They played on a line together at YOG and shattered records, but apparently they hated eachother. I later read a report that they fought in practice, but looking into it more I think it meant argued, not actually fought. In Hlinkas a couple years back they played the first game on a line together and then were separated for the rest of the tournament. Miro claims it's in the past and they're friends now but who knows, of course he would say that.

As for Ovie passing the torch, it's a nice idea, but Ovie's contract with Washington expires at the same time as Michkov's with SKA, so unless Michkov jumps ship, which I cannot imagine happening, or Ovechkin signs for another year, I'm not sure it's anything more than a nice idea.

Regarding Michkov pulling a Jagr and breaking his contract to come over early, I just think of Breaking Bad, where the bad guys killed Andrea, but threatened Jesse that "there's still the boy." Killing his dad was all the warning Michkov would need, and you can bet he still has other family he needs to look out for.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

"He has high-end compete, grittiness, a big shot and the willingness to be the guy that stirs the pot when his team needs a spark." 

On Ryan Leonard

Sounds very similar to a player in this years Stanley cup finals.

How amazing if we traded up for him. 11oa+ Lekkerimaki for the 5th/6th pick

That would be a very bad trade. I get that you're excited about players at the top of this year's draft, as we all are, but we still need to be conscious of asset management and value. Vancouver would be the laughing stock of the league making a trade like that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Early Draft Predictions

1. Bedard - Chi

2. Fantilli - Ana

3. Carlson - Col

4. Smith - San

5. Reinbacher - Mon

6. Benson - Ari

7. Leonard - Philly

8. Michkov - Wash

9. ASP - Det