The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Seeing all of these lists and rankings. They seems to be based on factoring their skill, skating, shot, etc. - where they will be as a player if they reach their ceiling.

These lists don't factor in character, work ethic or whether the player will even make the NHL one day. 

I wonder what the Top 10 would look like if all of it was assessed. You wouldn't find Michkov in the Top 10.

Michkov might be an incredible player, but if he decides not to play in the NHL, what good is he? I can see him doing Kovalchuk things, if he plays in the NHL at all. 

Edited by NUCKER67

35 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Oh didn't you hear?  Those games weren't meaningless!  It gave all the players warm and fuzzy feelings so that they wouldn't give up on their careers.  Otherwise they were probably about to give up on hockey all together. 

Yeah that's right. I heard Petey and Hughes we're running away and joining the circus if they didn't win those last 2 games. Whew, dodged a bullet there. 

Season 1 Lol GIF by NBC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

That's the only thing with Dvorsky, he is great against his peers and he is very young but he has a man's body and matured quicker than his peers. When playing against his peer's he's playing against under developed bodies.  Put him in a man's league and things are far different.  My question is how high is his ceiling?  Is it Kopitar? And has he already hit his peek like some say Reinbacher has?  at 6'2 and 200 lbs he's physically dominating against his under developed peers but what happens after they all catch up to him?  These are questions scouts need to ask themselves.  

Yes indeed those are the questions.  In my unprofessional opinion, his wheelhouse, without lofty comparisons, would be a physical 2 way centerman that can provide stability to a top 6.  His ceiling would be an ability to elevate his game in clutch situations, which he has shown he can do.

From interviews I've seen and read, he sounds motivated to put the work in to become better defensively as well as getting stronger.  The SHL is a tough place for young players to carve out a consistent role on the team, so he'll have to make due with the limited opportunities.  His numbers will reflect that and put some people off as to his development path, but I wouldn't be sweating it for at least a few more years.

11 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The volume is brutal. They can't even figure out how to work a microphone and we expect them to win a Cup? :sadno::lol: Like really Canucks, certainly you can do better ... you can't even hear him. This has been a problem on these press conferences for years.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And far more aware defensively. 

I've heard that about him but I haven't seen it from him in the couple highlight clips. I've got to find some more in depth footage. They don't keep face-off stats in junior do they?

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've heard that about him but I haven't seen it from him in the couple highlight clips. I've got to find some more in depth footage. They don't keep face-off stats in junior do they?

Yup. Hard to see how a guy plays off the puck. Watching Bo for so many years it’s almost expected any player who is even decent off the puck is better than him. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Hard to see how a guy plays off the puck. Watching Bo for so many years it’s almost expected any player who is even decent off the puck is better than him. 

Bo tried real hard but he had little understanding of how to break down coverage. 

Looking forward to the Islanders visiting the Canucks next season. Will Horvat get BOO'd? 

Excited at the idea of the Canucks moving up to get the player they want, a guy they're obviously sold on and believe in. Really curious who that is. I would imagine it's Carlsson, but it would be very expensive to trade up from #11 to #3. What if Carlsson goes #2? I guess the Canucks get Fantilli? They could sure use a C of that caliber. 

Someone mentioned a Demko trade to CBJ. Very intriguing! It's quite possible Demmer would like going to the Jackets to play with Gaudreau and that young group coming up. 

Getting pumped for this Draft, Canucks could make a splash. 

21 minutes ago, hammertime said:

https://whl.ca/stats/players/279

10th in FO taken this year 52.6%

Bo Horvat reincarnate ... very similar in how Danielson always attacks single mindedly straight forward to the net, and has that one move to get through defenders. His passes tend to work a little better than Bo's when a teammate is able to get into the play.

Edited by Gawdzukes

5 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Oh didn't you hear?  Those games weren't meaningless!  It gave all the players warm and fuzzy feelings so that they wouldn't give up on their careers.  Otherwise they were probably about to give up on hockey all together. 

So basically it was all for OEL. perfect. 

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Bo Horvat reincarnate ... very similar in how Danielson always attacks single mindedly straight forward to the net, and has that one move to get through defenders. His passes tend to work a little better than Bo's when a teammate is able to get into the play.

I don't think this is true at all. Danielson has playmaking chopps. Unfortunately that doesn't show up because he's surrounded by plumbers. If he were on WPG or KAM he would be a 100pt player. At this time apples to apples Danielson is in another league than Horvat. I clearly remember Horvats first training camp he was so slow he made Gaunce look like a burner. Hunter Shinkaruk was so much fun to watch playing pond hockey scoring at will with a big smile on his face.  

• There it is 1