The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Stawms, at 8-9 who would you select over Reinbacher?  

Is there a more blue blue chip player that is also a deep desperate team need in quality and quantity both in the system and with the big club?

In this range, what I am imagining is a Top 4 RHD or a Top Six Center that is able to take NHL minutes regularly in 2-3 years post draft.

One.  Is there a more project able RHD…. ?

Two.  Who is your choice over the answer to one that is a Center that will make a bigger impact than a top 4 RHD for us in the 8-10 range.  

Our annual spot.

Moore and Danielson for sure, maybe Leonard.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Moore and Danielson for sure, maybe Leonard.

Only Danielson really makes sense for us out of the three, Moore will probably be a really good speedy 2 way winger at the NHL level but we are flush with wingers. Need a big two way center to play behind Petey or a top 4 dman. Moore and Petey as our top 6 centers are not heavy enough to have success in the western conference, especially come playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Only Danielson really makes sense for us out of the three, Moore will probably be a really good speedy 2 way winger at the NHL level but we are flush with wingers. Need a big two way center to play behind Petey or a top 4 dman. Moore and Petey as our top 6 centers are not heavy enough to have success in the western conference, especially come playoffs. 

If we go with a C my top 2 right now are Danielson and Dvorsky

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, hammertime said:

Depends who is on the board but I assume if Benson is there at 8 Reinbacher and the C's have been picked. 

So yes we take Benson. Undersized winger or not he's a 2 way play driver who has elite offensive tools. I'd take him at 6. From what I have seen of Benson he's a work horse 

1 Bedard 

2 Michkov

3 Fantilli

4 Carlsson

5 Reinbacher

6 Benson

7 Smith

8 Ritchie

9 Danielson

10 Barlow/ Moore/ ASP Each of them deserves the 10th spot 

13 Cristall

14 Leonard

15 Simashev

What is more exciting is there are 15 players I would be excited about with the 8th OA.

That's a pretty good list, but I think there is a drop off for me on excitement past the following 9:

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Michkov

5. Smith

6. Reinbacher

7. Dvorsky

8. Sale

9. Benson

We need to keep building top 4 RD (Reinbacher) and top 6 C (Smith, Dvorsky), but high ceiling wingers would be the exception to the rule.  I think this is my cutoff where I would be happy with our pick down to just meh...  Obviously anybody can surprise, but I think this is the 9 that move the needle.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Moore is probably the most natural C in the draft actually

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Moore is probably the most natural C in the draft actually

"Moore has lined up almost exclusively on the wing so far this season, but he is a versatile player who can fill a number of roles for his team. He can carry the puck up ice and man the half wall on the powerplay, he can take faceoffs and kill penalties effectively, and he brings a high level of energy to just about every shift. There is a lot to like about Moore’s overall toolkit, especially his high-end speed, and he projects as an energetic two-way forward who can handle middle-six minutes and chip in with some offense at the NHL level." Nick Richard

https://dobberprospects.com/player/oliver-moore/

Moore spend most of his NTDP U17 season on the wing, and is a sub 6 foot center. I would assume Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson would be naturally more comfortable as NHL centers. I could also see guys like Dvorsky, Danielson, and Ritchie remaining down the middle at the highest level. Moore kinda reminds me of Philip Tomasino on the preds. 

20 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

"Moore has lined up almost exclusively on the wing so far this season, but he is a versatile player who can fill a number of roles for his team. He can carry the puck up ice and man the half wall on the powerplay, he can take faceoffs and kill penalties effectively, and he brings a high level of energy to just about every shift. There is a lot to like about Moore’s overall toolkit, especially his high-end speed, and he projects as an energetic two-way forward who can handle middle-six minutes and chip in with some offense at the NHL level." Nick Richard

https://dobberprospects.com/player/oliver-moore/

Moore spend most of his NTDP U17 season on the wing, and is a sub 6 foot center. I would assume Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson would be naturally more comfortable as NHL centers. I could also see guys like Dvorsky, Danielson, and Ritchie remaining down the middle at the highest level. Moore kinda reminds me of Philip Tomasino on the preds. 

That was U17.  I'm pretty sure he's pretty much exclusively C this year

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That was U17.  I'm pretty sure he's pretty much exclusively C this year

Yeah he has and done a fantastic job, but most players who play center in junior end up on the wings in the NHL. There was even questions if Petey could play center long term. To be a undersized NHL top 6 center you have to be elite at pretty much everything else. If Moore can come in close to 6 feet at the combine it will really help his stock. Nothing wrong with a elite winger prospects either, unless you are the canucks and have more wingers than you know what to do with and one of the worse D core's in the league.    

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah he has and done a fantastic job, but most players who play center in junior end up on the wings in the NHL. There was even questions if Petey could play center long term. To be a undersized NHL top 6 center you have to be elite at pretty much everything else. If Moore can come in close to 6 feet at the combine it will really help his stock. Nothing wrong with a elite winger prospects either, unless you are the canucks and have more wingers than you know what to do with and one of the worse D core's in the league.    

I think he's a far more natural C than Petey.  He's already got a strong defensive game, which is where most young players falter at C.

I was watching some Sale highlights earlier and that guy is so smart and skilled, also has some speed, and kept thinking how he and Petey would play really well together. He needs to fill out a bit more, but he's already playing against men, apparently. I think those two could create some magic on the same line.

Sale is a winger though, but he's been ranked consistently high. The Canucks kind of need help at all positions.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Going off the fact he's the top D though 

I get that, but being the top d doesn't mean he's bpa.  While it could definitely swing a different way, most legit rankings have the top 10 as all fwds

I find it quite intriguing that the undrafted defenseman Oskar Asplund has more points this year than all 3 1st round picked Djurgardens boys Lekk, Ostlund, Ohgren.

If he makes it to our 3rd which could be a real possibility I think that would be Asplunded thing. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Based on where we sit in the standings right now, the player we get around 8th or so will most likely need 1-2 years of development - in which case it is very hard to forecast the construct of our roster by then. We absolutely need to draft BPA - if there's a glut of centers and we select a center, that's a good problem to have. Do not make the mistake of drafting for position, we've already been burned several times doing that.

1 hour ago, Kuzy said:

Based on where we sit in the standings right now, the player we get around 8th or so will most likely need 1-2 years of development - in which case it is very hard to forecast the construct of our roster by then. We absolutely need to draft BPA - if there's a glut of centers and we select a center, that's a good problem to have. Do not make the mistake of drafting for position, we've already been burned several times doing that.

On the flip side, we've also been burned by not drafting for position. The last decent RHD we drafted was Bieksa which has led to us needing to overpay in trades and free agency to try and plug the holes. I don't think drastically overreaching for a position is good, but at some point holes in the prospect pool and on the roster do need to get addressed through the draft.

• Thanks 2