The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

ASP is the interesting one and I’m a little surprised he isn’t ranked ahead of Reinbacher on most lists.

Lets look at the teams picking ahead of us; 

Top 5 teams will not be picking a RHD

Arizona -

RD- no notables on Roster

Puck movers- Soderstrom ( not great) 

Valimaki 

Prospects- Lamourex- stats don’t jump off the page bad D+1 season 

Conclusion- Need a RHD

Philadelphia-

RD- Cam York, Ristolainen, Deangelo, 

Ill just stop right their they desperately need a Center prospect especially this draft and their position 

Conclusion- DO NOT need a RHD

Washington-

RD- John Carlson, Nick Jenson, Van Reimadyk, Jenson 

Prospects- Brent Johnson ( may not pan out) 

Conclusion - Could use a RHD

Detroit-

RHD- Seider 

Puck mover- Edvinsson 

Not a lot of notable RHD prospects 

Conclusion- Could use a RHD

St Louis- 

RD- Parayko, Faulk

Puck Mover - Krug 

Not a lot of notable RHD prospects 

Conclusion- St Louis could use a RHD

Arizona is the wild card in this draft 

Washington St Louis and Detroit could all use a RHD with Reinbacher and ASP available 

Washington has a older forward group so I can se them picking a forward 

Detroit I could see a RD but Benson might be too tantalizing 

St. Lous I don’t have a read on but looking at their previous years they selected Snuggerud, Bolduc, Neighbours. ( non European ) 

so I see St Louis taking one of the USHL players or Barlow 

Chicago- Bedard 

Anaheim- Fantili 

CBJ- Carlson 

SJ- Smith

Montreal- Mitchkov/Dvorsky

Arizona- Benson/Dvorsky/Mitchkov

Washington- Leonard /Benson/Mitchkov 

Detroit- ASP/Reinbacher ( ASP would be more of a contrast to what they currently have) 

St.Louis -Leonard/Moore/Barlow 

Canucks- Reinbacher

II think through this exercise that the only team in the top ten that could take a RHD is Detroit and they could have too many good forward options available that they pass 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer Reinbacher over ASP based on our teams current roster . We already have Hughes as the PP QB. 

Sadly I have a feeling neither of them will be there when it's our turn to pick, which brings back the question about whether it makes sense to win all those games late in the season...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

I prefer Reinbacher over ASP based on our teams current roster . We already have Hughes as the PP QB. 

Sadly I have a feeling neither of them will be there when it's our turn to pick, which brings back the question about whether it makes sense to win all those games late in the season...

Regardless, if both those D are gone that means a couple excellent forwards will be there for us. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Could contain: Page, Text

I really hope someone takes Dvorsky before us. Imagine squandering one of the most elite drafts in recent history to make a "safe" pick

My opinion is smaller guys are the really mispriced commodity. The NHL is getting smaller, faster, more skilled. A guy like Benson is an elite talent who gets punished because hes short. Look at so many of the huge steals in recent history - DeBrincat, Caufield, Point, etc. all small guys with elite talent who got passed over because "muhhh small". 

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Michkov (Kekalainen kicks things off)

4. SJ - Carlsson

5. MTL - Smith

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Leonard

9. DET - Sandin Pellikka (DET missed on Hughes)

10. STL - Barlow

11. VAN - Moore or Benson

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

4. SJ - Carlsson

5. MTL - Smith

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Leonard

10. STL - Barlow

Yup. We will get a great forward prospect if the two top D go before we pick.  In this scenario I expect our scouts would prefer Moore. Benson is going to fall a lot IMHAO. He’s a small player who isn’t a high end skater. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Could contain: Page, Text

I really hope someone takes Dvorsky before us. Imagine squandering one of the most elite drafts in recent history to make a "safe" pick

My opinion is smaller guys are the really mispriced commodity. The NHL is getting smaller, faster, more skilled. A guy like Benson is an elite talent who gets punished because hes short. Look at so many of the huge steals in recent history - DeBrincat, Caufield, Point, etc. all small guys with elite talent who got passed over because "muhhh small". 

The league is getting faster and Benson is not a fast skater. He is high motor and compete though. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The league is getting faster and Benson is not a fast skater. He is high motor and compete though. 

Its true thats the big risk on him

its one of the most fixable things though, and his puck handling, hockey iq, shot are all elite

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Its true thats the big risk on him

its one of the most fixable things though, and his puck handling, hockey iq, shot are all elite

I think Benson will be there at 11OA. The draft can go in several directions after the top five. We will have some really high end prospects to choose from at 11 OA.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

4. SJ - Carlsson

5. MTL - Smith

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Leonard

10. STL - Barlow

That would be a ballsy pick from CBJ. They desperately need a center there and Carlsson could probably step in within a year or two. I think I'd be happy with either of those two picks.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Guys, why are folks calling ASP small.

he is currently 5’11.  

He has more growth in his further before he is fully mature as we all do at that age.

And his weight is fine.

this guy will add muscle and weight and be right in the 200lbs, 6’0 range as a player.

Without loosing his smooth skating and adding power to his game and stride, which his build is ideal for, will give his hits way more energy with his super low Center of gravity.  

yet he skates like Fred Astaire dances and plays the Right side.

with a one two punch with Hughes, this guy would make his D partner better each shift, like Hughes does now.

I project ASP as playing in the NHL at the end of next season.

depending on his pro commitment and playoffs.

Dont f**k around this time and take a winger,

address the team need now and for the long term and take ASP and or Reinbacher.

Either will be a blue chip option for RHD in either a 2 or 3 spot before and or behind Hronek.

By the end of next season.

I love ASP skating and agility.. it reminds me of….

Quinn Hughes.

it’s the smoothness that almost makes the game slow down on his stick yet he slips past guys and makes a play that could not happen unless he is faster than everyone else.

Axel Sandin Pellikka pic posted on AIK FB Sept 27 2022

No photo description available.

He's not particularly thicc. He is a few years away from being able to physically handle NHL fwds.

Here he is standing with left to right Zeb Forsfjall 5'9 Oskar Vuollet 5'10 Pellikka listed 5'11 

To be fair Zeb is standing quite a bit forward.

Edited by hammertime
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Axel Sandin Pellikka pic posted on AIK FB Sept 27 2022

He's not particularly thicc. He is a few years away from being able to physically handle NHL fwds.

Here he is standing with left to right Zeb Forsfjall 5'9 Oskar Vuollet 5'10 Pellikka listed 5'11 

To be fair Zeb is standing quite a bit forward.

He’s listed at a little over 180. So with his body he must have the big lower half that makes for a very sturdy base. He’s likely to fill out to around 190 in a couple years. With his skating that’s a solid player. 

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He has been the consensus 5th overall pick for basically the entire season 

Is he now though? Seems like his draft placement is dropping to where he might be there at 11OA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Won't be surprised if Detroit take him to compliment what Seider brings but on a different pairing.

We could very likely miss out on both Reinbacher and ASP.  AT that point Allvin might want to trade down and get Willander.  His stock has skyrocketed since the U18's, he's an excellent rhd option for the Canucks.  

Just now, Pure961089 said:

We could very likely miss out on both Reinbacher and ASP.  AT that point Allvin might want to trade down and get Willander.  His stock has skyrocketed since the U18's, he's an excellent rhd option for the Canucks.  

We might trade down but that will depend on the forwards who drop because those two D are taken top 10. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He has been the consensus 5th overall pick for basically the entire season 

Yeah.   I don’t think he would be available at 11.   People were just talking about him slipping.

This year's is regarded as a very deep draft, but it also means there will probably be a high number of picks that do not pan out. We really can't afford that. Regardless of defenseman or forward, I really really hope we hit with this pick, develop well and have impactful roster player. 

• There it is 1