Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

13 hours ago, BCNate said:

At this stage I think the bottom 4 are pretty set:

ANA- 17 games left 51 points

SJ- 16 games left 50 points

CHI- 18 games left 49 points

CBS- 18 games left 47 points

I can't see any of these teams getting hot and catching us.

I think we fit firmly in the 5-9 range:

9) STL- 18 games left 61 points

8)VAN- 18 games left 59 points

7)PHI- 17 games left 59 points

6)MTL- 17 games left 58 points

5)AZ- 17 games left 56 points

My guess is that we pick somewhere in this tier.  The odds of winning one of the lotteries only changes by 3% in that group.  There are going to be some great options in this range:

Benson

Smith

Sale

Dvorsky

Yager

Reinbacher

I think the other teams are just to far ahead for us to catch.  Assume we go 12-6 down the stretch and end with 83 points

13) Nash- 20 games left 69 points (7-13)

12) Wash- 16 games left 69 points  (7-9)

11) Buff- 18 games left 68 points   (7-9-1)

10) Det- 18 games left 67 points   (8-10)

This is a fantastic post! Thank you so much for taking the time to do a breakdown of the numbers like that. 

At this point, with Demko, Pettersson, Hughes, Kuzmenko and Miller playing lights hockey, I’ll be happy if we just don’t climber higher than 9th spot. 

15 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

What a blast from Reinbacher on the PP to open the scoring :o. In addition the accuracy of the shot is notable shooting the puck five hole. Enthusiastic playoff atmosphere in the stands. Ray Ferraro talked about the special atmosphere in European buildings  recently on the Ray & Dregs podcast. Ray's son plays pro-hockey in Germany's top league and Ray has been in Germany several times to watch his son playing hockey.

I am absolutely loving Reinbacher’s game! This kid is so impressive, especially against full grown professionals. The way he took a few steps into that one timer was unreal!

If we pick in the 8-10 range, I’m thinking that there’s a good chance he’ll be gone. What that will do for us though is possibly bump one of the many highly touted forwards down to us (maybe even a guy like Smith or Benson if we’re picking 8th). 

However if he is there when we’re picking, then I would love it if we took him. 

I don’t think he’s 4-5 years away from making the big club, which is the usual growth curve of a denfenseman. The reason being is that he’s already larger and stronger than many current NHL players, and because he’s already excelling in respectable pro league against men, and most importantly is because he’s just very talented. 

• Cheers 1

I was just looking up college stats with a possible Aidan McDonough signing on the horizon just seeing where he ranks. I didn’t realize Fantilli led all college players in points. That seems incredible for a freshman. I don’t pay a world of attention to college stats but I usually like to look at the end of a season and see how well players did. Especially since I remember when we had Gaudette, he led all college players in points I believe his junior year. Does anyone know the last time a freshman led all college players in points? Seems very impressive to do at the college level unless I’m just a little ignorant to the college game. I knew Fantilli was a great runner up prospect to Bedard, but that’s just incredible to be outplaying guys who could be 3-4 years older over the course of a whole season in a league that’s pretty well developed. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Does anyone know the last time a freshman led all college players in points?

2014-15 season when Jack Eichel led NCAA scoring with 71 points as a first time draft eligible freshman would be the most recent direct comparable to what Fantilli is doing.

Also Kyle Connor in 2015-16 with 71 points but he was already drafted and a year older when he entered NCAA.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Is he a futute top 4 D man?

I'd say he could be a #5

If he's not, that makes him a wasted pick?  I also OJ would have been a solid top 4 had he not had the injuries he had.........and he is playing well in the AHL now

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd say he could be a #5

If he's not, that makes him a wasted pick?  I also OJ would have been a solid top 4 had he not had the injuries he had.........and he is playing well in the AHL now

I never said Woo was a wasted pick??

Did you read the post I responded to? See below. 
There is no guarentee that 2 out of 3 Dmen picked in top 40 will be top 4 D men, just like the top 2C....

we picked 2 D men in the top 40, all be it 2 different drafts, but neither made it in to top 4 Dmen for various reasons. 
Point being there is no guarentee your draft pick will turn out to be a top 4 D man. 

However if you aquire top 4 D men outside the draft via trades or UFAs it will be expensive... or nearly impossible hence you draft D men in the hope they'll become top 4 Dmen. 

Can I just add, we needed a OJ in the system even though he didn't make it, and Woo was my favorite prospect and to a certain extend still is.... but that doesn't guarrentee he'll be a top 4 player neither. 

On 3/10/2023 at 5:29 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pretty crazy to see Detroit with 5 picks in almost the top 40. They could realistically walk away with a decent future top 6 center like Yager/Leonard, one of Gulyayev or Reinbacher with the NYI pick, Strbak with our 2nd, someone who falls out of the first round like Bonk or Price and then a winger like Ciernik.

That's a future top-6 center, top-9 winger and three top-4 defencemen. Obviously not all of them will pan out but if you pick 3 defencemen, surely a couple of them will become decent NHLers and these late 1st/high 2nds are going to be the best picks for them.

• There it is 1

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Most of Canucks fans will be hoping for a good prospect with size who fits an organizational need like RD or C. History has shown us that we will pick a small undersized winger with skill 

And the Canucks pick.... RW Michkov 

I would love for us to select Michkov. He could be the best Russian player since OV/Malkin, maybe even better than Kucherov is what I'm hearing from reading the articles.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, jyu said:

I would love for us to select Michkov. He could be the best Russian player since OV/Malkin, maybe even better than Kucherov is what I'm hearing from reading the articles.

His size doesn't scare you? He makes bedard look like a UFC fighter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Isn't he 5'10? Kane is 5'10 170 lbs. He didn't have any problem destroying our team and the rest of the NHL in the playoffs. 

We can give him Miller and another big winger to play with.

Bedard is also 5'10, although he's got more weight.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

Isn't he 5'10? Kane is 5'10 170 lbs. He didn't have any problem destroying our team and the rest of the NHL in the playoffs. 

We can give him Miller and another big winger to play with.

Bedard is also 5'10, although he's got more weight.

Bedard is 35 pounds heavier lol

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Most of Canucks fans will be hoping for a good prospect with size who fits an organizational need like RD or C. History has shown us that we will pick a small undersized winger with skill 

And the Canucks pick.... RW Michkov 

Actually no. Go back and look at the history of the Canucks and we generally drafted bigger then the league average.

10 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

If this is the case, then we’ve basically won the lottery. By many accounts, if it wasn’t for the the Russian factor, Michkov would be a lock at #2. 

I haven’t seen enough of him to form a strong opinion either way, but with so many experts touting his next level skill, I’d be very excited if we somehow landed him. 

He is all that. His hockey iq is off the charts. If he is there then we have to take him. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Nope. People have been trying to run him all year in the k and aside from emelin no one has tagged him. People tend to look at themeasurements too much on here. The fms test at the combine should allay your fears if he is gonna be killed

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Isam said:

Nope. People have been trying to run him all year in the k and aside from emelin no one has tagged him. People tend to look at themeasurements too much on here. The fms test at the combine should allay your fears if he is gonna be killed

Idk. Put me in the skeptical camp.

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Bedard is 35 pounds heavier lol

Michkov's weight could be outdated. He will gain weight over time.

And that weight isn't stopping him from putting up crazy numbers in the KHL against men.

Michkov (Draft eligible 2023):

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2021-22 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 13 2 3 5 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
2022-23 St. Petersburg SKA KHL 3 0 0 0 2            
2022-23 Sochi HC KHL 27 9 11 20 20 1        

Malkin (drafted 2004):

Regular Season Playoffs
2003-04 Magnitogorsk Metallurg Russia 34 3 9 12 12   -- -- -- -- --
2004-05 Magnitogorsk Metallurg Russia 52 12 20 32 24   5 0 4 4 0
2005-06 Magnitogorsk Metallurg Russia 46 21 26 47 46   11 5 10 15 41

OV (drafted 2004):

Regular Season Playoffs
2001-02 Moscow Dynamo Russia 21 2 2 4 4            
2002-03 Moscow Dynamo Russia 40 8 7 15 28 1 5 0 0 0 2
2003-04 Moscow Dynamo Russia 53 13 10 23 42   3 0 0 0 2
2004-05 Moscow Dynamo Russia 37 13 14 27 32   10 2 4 6

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Isam said:

If we are drafting where I think (5-9 is where I think we pick unless we win the lottery) and Michkov is there, we would beyond foolish to not take him. He’s going to be an absolute steal for the team that gets him. Off the charts skills, smarts, and compete.

In three years he can slot in beside Raty and Podzilla.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

2014-15 season when Jack Eichel led NCAA scoring with 71 points as a first time draft eligible freshman would be the most recent direct comparable to what Fantilli is doing.

Also Kyle Connor in 2015-16 with 71 points but he was already drafted and a year older when he entered NCAA.

So Fantilli is in some pretty good company there. Definitely getting more interested to see what he will be capable of. 

• Cheers 1