The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect Pyramid by "Vancouver is Awesome"

Googlie

It was an interesting read, thanks.  One can look at it as the cup half full or half empty.  It's not an overwhelming crop of prospects but there's a few NHL possibilities.  We'll just have to see how it all works out.  GCG!

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Seems like a pretty fair list. I keep forgetting about Karlsson. A guy the could surprise come training camp 

Yeah - I've said a few times that I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce tried a "Tre Kroner" line of Petey with Hoagie and Karlsson at camp scrimmages and exhibition games - and it might stick.   2 playmakers (Petey and Nils), 2 elite finishers (Petey and Linus), and a puck hound/retriever par excellence in Hoglander 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good read indeed...  

I would have Hugo Gabrielson much higher up, but we will see how he recovers from the shoulder surgery.  The fact that he played so much in the AllSvenskan with men in his D+1 year was more impressive to me then what a lot of other guys did in the junior leagues.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Good read indeed...  

I would have Hugo Gabrielson much higher up, but we will see how he recovers from the shoulder surgery.  The fact that he played so much in the AllSvenskan with men in his D+1 year was more impressive to me then what a lot of other guys did in the junior leagues.  

V few are making the jump except Lekkerimaki

Pleasantly surprised. Pretty good read Thanks Googlie!

Really hoping for a time where we have multiple first and second tier guys constantly pushing to make the leap. Hoping sooner than later and to do that we need to acquire some additional first and second round picks. It's crucial in my opinion.

It would be immensely beneficial to have 20 year old players coming up to play on the third line instead of paying guys like Pearson and Dickinson 3 mil each and then wondering how we can dump them off. That money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Really hoping for a time where we have multiple first and second tier guys constantly pushing to make the leap.

Like they have for the last 5 years? Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, Hoglander, and Podkolzin were all introduced to the lineup since 2017, with the possibility of Rathbone joining this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Like they have for the last 5 years? Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, Hoglander, and Podkolzin were all introduced to the lineup since 2017, with the possibility of Rathbone joining this year.

Maybe the key word here is pushing. Some of those guys didn't need to push much given the quality of players in front of them. Now that something of a core is in place the young guys can be brought along more gradually.

4 hours ago, BlastPast said:

I meant on the prospect list. 5 of those guys went straight to the NHL. Right now we only have 1 player in the first tier if Rathbone makes the squad and we'll need ELC players when those guys are all making bigger $.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Maybe the key word here is pushing. Some of those guys didn't need to push much given the quality of players in front of them. Now that something of a core is in place the young guys can be brought along more gradually.

That would make sense if any of those guys made the team prematurely, but they all held their own (or better) during their rookie seasons. Should they have had a defense full of players keeping Hughes out of the lineup?

32 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I meant on the prospect list. 5 of those guys went straight to the NHL. Right now we only have 1 player in the first tier if Rathbone makes the squad and we'll need ELC players when those guys are all making bigger $.

They all went straight to the NHL from wherever they were playing before. And before that, they would have been considered prospects; prospects that were primed to push to make the roster.

14 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

That would make sense if any of those guys made the team prematurely, but they all held their own (or better) during their rookie seasons. Should they have had a defense full of players keeping Hughes out of the lineup?

They all went straight to the NHL from wherever they were playing before. And before that, they would have been considered prospects; prospects that were primed to push to make the roster.

Okay, I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly. You're right though those prospects were successful for sure. I'm talking about having a steady stream of prospects and right now our cupboards are fairly barren due to only having one second rounder in 20 and 21 and no second in 22.

It would be nice to get a first back if we trade Miller.

Edited by Gawdzukes

While I have no issue with Lekkerimaki being alone in the top tier, I don't buy Klimovich in only 3rd tier. The author's argument for Lekkerimaki is his shot. Newsflash - Klim's shot is at least as good if not better. I would put Danila into solid tier 2.

• Upvote 1

My reaction is different from the original poster.  I thought Wagner did a very good job of rating the prospects.  If anything, I'd be very slightly less optimistic than Wagner was.

FWIW, Klimovitch is perhaps the hardest to rate.  I think Wagner did an excellent job of describing him-elite potential, incredibly unrefined and I'd be less diplomatic about his defensive zone play.  Wagner said in the defensive zone he can "charitably be described as a work in progress", a descrption I considered exceptionally charitable.  Still, with the young age and change in ice surface, language and culture it isn't unreasonably to have him in the 3rd tier.  We should get a far better idea this coming season.

I'd have placed Gardner and Zlodeev lower, in the 5th tier, but Silovs higher, in the 3rd.  I believe Silovs' poor to mediocre AHL numbers last year were a direct result of the way he was used.  After a couple of good starts with Abbotsford the club decided they had to give DiPietro a better chance (even though Silovs had been better in training camp and to start the season) and put Silovs on the back burner.  When Abbotsford finally gave him the chance he'd deserved to play more earlier, it went poorly.  I think that is completely understandable and have high expectations for him this season.

I'd have placed Costmar, Malone and Persson in the 6th tier.  After last season it is difficult to see Persson as anything other than the longest of long shots, only still in the pyramid at all because the Canucks still own his rights.  Chances are he'll either be in the ECHL or back in Europe this season.

Emotionally I still want to put Woo higher, in the 4th tier, but logically Wagner is probably right.

Edited by tyhee

Definitely a nice way of organizing things - I also wish Karlsson would climb higher in some of these rankings, I guess time will tell.

Another guy who seems like he could have been mentioned is Chase Wouters- perhaps left off because he only has an ahl contract, but he seems like he plays an effective role there