The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I really think they love him in Vancouver and he's a surprising lock for 2nd line winger next year, he had great chemistry with JT almost instantly - they read each other really well on the cycle, and during the year he can drop down to the bottom-6 if need be. Smart move not sending him down but surely they think highly of him. I don't know if he'd get claimed but it's too big a risk and hole to fill for Vancouver so he must be starting in our top-6 next year which is insane, but that's how you build a good team - gritty guys mixed in with skilled guys, and good chemistry. Petey and Kuz have it (and they had it with Mik as well), JT and PDG really have it nicely and Brock is fitting in well too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Interesting to hear Allvin's thoughts on letting young guys from Abby come up to play with the Canucks.

Right now we're pretty stocked on wingers, but surely Allvin will sell off one (or hopefully two) of the expensive 3rd line winger guys (Garland and Beauvillier). Even if it's just one, there's a spot on the 3rd line and 4th line wing for an AHL guy to grab. You've got to think it's up to Hoglander, Podkolzin and Karlsson. Klim surely needs another year to cook. Then there's obviously McDonough, Studnicka, Pearson (probably not though) and Kravtsov. That's 2 roster spots, 6 wingers. 

At center we're obviously thin with Petey, Miller, Dries and Aman, and it sounds like Allvin is going to source us a veteran 3C who can take faceoffs which will hopefully push Dries to the side-lines. We don't really have a decent enough center in Abby to contend unless Raty comes to training camp like a man possessed, but he'll likely need another year to marinate.

Defence is where it gets interesting. I think they'll keep one of Bear or Dermott to play with Hughes as a Schenn-like 18 minutes a game kind of guy, so there's lot loads of room for a younger guy coming in. Burroughs, Wolanin, Brisebois and maybe Woo will rotate around the press box and call ups during the season as will maybe Rathbone, but I just don't see enough quality there to break into our top-4 - all these guys are bottom pairing at best sadly unless Rathbone or Hirose can really catch fire, but they're going to have to steal minutes off OEL.

The big one for me is Silovs, whether they leave him in Abby all year or call him up and rotate him and Delia and Martin behind Demko will be interesting to see, but I think Silovs would do well as our backup getting some games in. I know often you want to take it slow with goalies, but he was brilliant for us everywhere he played, I think give him a few games as backup and if he plays well consistently, he may be able to handle 15-20 games. If he cracks under pressure then drop him down to Abby. I'm really not sold on Delia or Martin being our backup, we need a guy who can play well in short bursts for the back to backs and Silovs could easily be that guy.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Interesting to hear Allvin's thoughts on letting young guys from Abby come up to play with the Canucks.

Right now we're pretty stocked on wingers, but surely Allvin will sell off one (or hopefully two) of the expensive 3rd line winger guys (Garland and Beauvillier). Even if it's just one, there's a spot on the 3rd line and 4th line wing for an AHL guy to grab. You've got to think it's up to Hoglander, Podkolzin and Karlsson. Klim surely needs another year to cook. Then there's obviously McDonough, Studnicka, Pearson (probably not though) and Kravtsov. That's 2 roster spots, 6 wingers. 

At center we're obviously thin with Petey, Miller, Dries and Aman, and it sounds like Allvin is going to source us a veteran 3C who can take faceoffs which will hopefully push Dries to the side-lines. We don't really have a decent enough center in Abby to contend unless Raty comes to training camp like a man possessed, but he'll likely need another year to marinate.

Defence is where it gets interesting. I think they'll keep one of Bear or Dermott to play with Hughes as a Schenn-like 18 minutes a game kind of guy, so there's lot loads of room for a younger guy coming in. Burroughs, Wolanin, Brisebois and maybe Woo will rotate around the press box and call ups during the season as will maybe Rathbone, but I just don't see enough quality there to break into our top-4 - all these guys are bottom pairing at best sadly unless Rathbone or Hirose can really catch fire, but they're going to have to steal minutes off OEL.

The big one for me is Silovs, whether they leave him in Abby all year or call him up and rotate him and Delia and Martin behind Demko will be interesting to see, but I think Silovs would do well as our backup getting some games in. I know often you want to take it slow with goalies, but he was brilliant for us everywhere he played, I think give him a few games as backup and if he plays well consistently, he may be able to handle 15-20 games. If he cracks under pressure then drop him down to Abby. I'm really not sold on Delia or Martin being our backup, we need a guy who can play well in short bursts for the back to backs and Silovs could easily be that guy.

Juulsen would be the closest thing to a schenn like player.  Neither Dermott or Bear is anything remotely like Schenn

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Juulsen would be the closest thing to a schenn like player.  Neither Dermott or Bear is anything remotely like Schenn

I just mean minutes and pairing-wise, we don't have anyone close to Schenn apart from Burroughs. Everyone's so high on Juulsem here but all I see is another fringe NHLer. I'd rather play Burroughs there.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Ill be going to game 1 and 2 this week! 

Exciting to have playoff hockey again live for Canucks nation. Bakersfield not as big of a powerhouse compared to last season, but they have a lot of sneaky good players who create offense off of transition. Justin Bailey (former Canuck0, Seth Griffith, Noah Philp, Raphael Lavoie are the names to keep an eye on. But the one guy for Bakersfield that I expect will be a thorn in the side of the Canucks in this series will be Dylan Holloway and Calvin Pickard (G).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Hoping to see Johansson, but I can see why he's not playing.  Such a young lineup, I assume that's why Martin gets the call

That would be great, but it's already quite the improvement with Wolanin and Juulsen back in the fold. 

Too bad Brisebois wasn't able to play. 

• There it is 1