The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Bo should sign the RNH Deal

9 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

5v5 they are pretty even for goal scoring. from 2017/2018 to 2021/2022, they have scored the exact same number of 5v5 goals with pretty similar games played (Nuge has actually played slightly fewer games). Bo scored 9 more total goals over the last 2 seasons 5v5, but nuge had 9 more 5v5 goals in the 2019/2020 season so those differences cancel out. the other 2 years they were the exact same each year head to head.

Bo went off this year for sure, both 5v5 and on the pp, but this is the first time in Bo's career he has paced at over 30 goals per game. i think to assert Bo is a high end goal scorer after having a career shooting percentage year (15.90%) is a bit of a reach. Prior to last season, bo shot at a 12.63% clip throughout his career. if he had've shot at that rate last year, he would have scored ~25 goals and been on a 29 goal pace (still really good!). 

at the end of the day i think we can comfortably view bo as a solid 2nd line 5v5 player, high end PP Bumper player, high end face off guy, and is used in all situations.

overpaying a player like that into his mid 30s represents significant risk. much more risk than the controversial JT Miller contract.

Lol.  Millers contract isn't controversial. 

He left money on the table.   This is my issue.   Brock and EP haven't done diddly squat with their RFA deals yet.   QHs at least he made a decent attempt at earning his first year.    Miller showed what actual money left on the table looks like the past 3 years.   Demko did too his first year.   People need to wake up to this.   UFA your actually expecting to lose money on those deals not gain.  RFA's  your supposed to gain money.   It's a league wide issue - because now RFAs are getting paid like UFAs before they've done anything.   Robertson.  Stutzle.   And EP (for crying out loud it's a bridge!!!) and Brock. 

It's actually beyond ridiculous - RNH too his RFA deal.   

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Lol.  Millers contract isn't controversial. 

He left money on the table.   This is my issue.   Brock and EP haven't done diddly squat with their RFA deals yet.   QHs at least he made a decent attempt at earning his first year.    Miller showed what actual money left on the table looks like the past 3 years.   Demko did too his first year.   People need to wake up to this.   UFA your actually expecting to lose money on those deals not gain.  RFA's  your supposed to gain money.   It's a league wide issue - because now RFAs are getting paid like UFAs before they've done anything.   Robertson.  Stutzle.   And EP (for crying out loud it's a bridge!!!) and Brock, 

Miller signing not controversial? there's a huge portion of the fan base that think it was the wrong move to sign him. like i would bet half of all fans are against the signing

1 minute ago, The_Rocket said:

Miller signing not controversial? there's a huge portion of the fan base that think it was the wrong move to sign him. like i would bet half of all fans are against the signing

The huge portion of the fan base you are talking about is likely a lot less than half. 

Put up a poll and test your theory. 

And Miller did leave money on the table. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The_Rocket said:

Sure.  A lot of guys wanted to trade him. But most - just like when Pearson was re-signed, acknowledge that it's a good return.   And for sure he left money on the table especially on our tax bracket.   So.   You want to compare RNH.   A former first overall pick, that signed a boffo deal that didn't do as much as Horvat did cap percentage wise and expect him to sign for less then his current contract.   He won't.  Neither should he.   I'm betting it will be between 6-6.75.  Depends on length.   RNH already made his money and didn't really earn it - which is why he took less then his last deal.   Horvat - he earned his money plus some.  So will get paid more. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

The huge portion of the fan base you are talking about is likely a lot less than half. 

Just some butthurt people that thought we'd get Schnieder is my guess.   Miller actually earned a whole lot more (as an RFA couple years UFA for the team) .   But people can't get over it.    I wanted Pearson gone and made a bunch of noise until he signed - he's one of the best cap hits on the team right now.    And at least he earned it.  What have QHs, EP, Brock or Demko even earned!   Nothing.   Second deals are supposed to be the teams window.   Demko and QHs at least are helping.   Miller is a perfect example of what it's supposed to actually look like.   Good grief.   No wonder the Dallas GM had a moment and expressed this too.   So did Burke way back with Penner.   

Cap percentage is all that matters since the cap was created.   The Sedins.  Two 70 point seasons and one around a PPG and both of them got 10.58% of the cap there abouts... the close to the same  age as Miller is now.  And back then the cap was frozen due to the housing crisis.  Much like covid.  Plus we had the exact same taxes as CAL and EDM do now ... 47 plus a little compared to 53.03 and up 

Bottom like is Miller left money on the table.   Would your prefer Tavares at 11.5 and that's old now? Or Robertson or Stutlze's?  Nah.   No thanks.    I would at least rather take the known commodity.   This idea that guys are olden days done before they are even 30 i don't agree with.    I doubt Miller won't end up as a top five Canuck all-time  and his sweater in the rafters by the time this is all done. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sure.  A lot of guys wanted to trade him. But most - just like when Pearson was re-signed, acknowledge that it's a good return.   And for sure he left money on the table especially on our tax bracket.   So.   You want to compare RNH.   A former first overall pick, that signed a boffo deal that didn't do as much as Horvat did cap percentage wise and expect him to sign for less then his current contract.   He won't.  Neither should he.   I'm betting it will be between 6-6.75.  Depends on length.   RNH already made his money and didn't really earn it - which is why he took less then his last deal.   Horvat - he earned his money plus some.  So will get paid more. 

I’m one of them. I still think long term trading Miller would have been better, but I’m fully aware he left atleast one mil on the table, probably more, and a last year that would have been painful off the end of the contract. It’s a contract I can be more then happy with.

Bo will command 6-6.5 a year is my guess. I could see a 5 year, 32ish mil contract.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree miller left money on the table. I personally like the deal and the contract. But you can’t deny that a large portion of the fan base dislike the deal

54 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I agree miller left money on the table. I personally like the deal and the contract. But you can’t deny that a large portion of the fan base dislike the deal

That's only your opinion. 

Like I said, the poll will tell the truth. 

4 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I’m one of them. I still think long term trading Miller would have been better, but I’m fully aware he left atleast one mil on the table, probably more, and a last year that would have been painful off the end of the contract. It’s a contract I can be more then happy with.

Bo will command 6-6.5 a year is my guess. I could see a 5 year, 32ish mil contract.

Totally agree about Miller.  Bo I think gets 7 mil x 8 years though.  56 mil. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 12:00 AM, Alflives said:

Totally agree about Miller.  Bo I think gets 7 mil x 8 years though.  56 mil. 

That means - and hate to say this - that he takes Millers money and doesn't leave anything much extra on the table.   I'm hoping he follows suit.  And that EP does as well in two years.    Not all of it but some. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

RNH is no Bo Horvat. Period, end of story.

My guess is Bo will sign an eight year contract for an average per season rate of a low of $6 and a maximum of $7 million.

Make it so YEG!    That would be a great deal for the team.   And we should all start to write our thank you cards to Miller if this happens.