The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 64 players - Oct. 09, 2022

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

6’5” right shot D man?

Easy claim. I’d actually take Myers and Tierny to be honest.

cap friendly is showing us with 60k in cap space this morning, so I'm assuming all of Ferlands LTIR is still available to us? or maybe we paper down Hogs, Kuzmenko and Hoglander to make room for 1 day? not sure how the mechanics all work. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

6’5” right shot D man?

Easy claim. I’d actually take Myers and Tierny to be honest.

Any sense of how Tierney did at camp/pre-season? Would've been on my list last year, but has his play fallen that much? Tierney - Aman - Lazar (Joshua) could be nice, with all 3 players with C experience.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers has a $2.55 million cap hit.  How do we fit him under the cap?

I’m no cap expert but essentially we’d need around 1.6 mil because he’d be replacing Rathbone’s salary.

I’m sure there’s a way.

4 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Any sense of how Tierney did at camp/pre-season? Would've been on my list last year, but has his play fallen that much? Tierney - Aman - Lazar (Joshua) could be nice, with all 3 players with C experience.

No idea but I’d have more faith in him than Aman as a fourth line center.

• Cheers 1

Sometimes, Myers will look back and remind himself he can be that guy for a team — a top-four defenseman who can carve out an NHL role and make it last. It might not happen this season, depending on how the Lightning’s pairings are finalized, but his physical tools already have impressed, and the extended contract has given him another window.

Myers’ 6-foot-5 frame — and the advantages it unlocks — offers “all the tools,” Tampa Bay defenseman Ian Cole said. Assistant coach Jeff Halpern said Myers is a “monster of a man.”

“He’s a physical specimen, there’s no denying that,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. “Definitely have to have your shirt on in the room when you’re around him. He’ll make you look bad.”

Sign me up son. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’m no cap expert but essentially we’d need around 1.6 mil because he’d be replacing Rathbone’s salary.

I’m sure there’s a way.

I guess T. Myers will be going on LTIR for a month, so we would have the cap space temporarily.  Also, maybe Ferland will go on LTIR for the whole year which frees up $3.5 million if we want to operate in LTIR.  But I don't think JR wants to do that...

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Can you explain how this does or doesn't apply to the teams that have already player regular season games overseas?

Nashville and San Jose didn't have to be cap compliant for their 2 games overseas.  They were allowed to bring 27 players on the trip - risk of late injury/sickness.  They now have to be cap compliant using only the players that were on the trip - ie they have to demote 4 if they want to run with a roster of 23.

• Thanks 3

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Waivers] 64 players - Oct. 09, 2022
3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@mll  Would Tyler Myers be going on LTIR for a month?  What is going to happen to Ferland?  Will we be putting him on LTIR or just include his salary in the cap?

LTIR is minimum 24 days or 10 games.  They gave Myers a 2 to 4 week timeline.  Seems unlikely that he would go on LTIR given the timeline - they probably want him back as early as possible.    

CapFriendly shows them with 60K of cap space with a roster of 21 but with Boeser, Mikheyev, Myers and Dermott injured that's only 17 healthy players.  CapFriendly also doesn't track off-season rosters and they have Joshua and Rathbone allocated to the AHL - just adding them has them above the 82.5M.  They'll have to use LTIR to become cap compliant.

• Thanks 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

We need cheaper D that over play their contract not more expensive ones

At 2.5 mil he can likely bring value, probably more than Poolman.

Thinking we can keep plugging Poolman in the top 4 is probably not the best strategy. Myers has shown he has potential to play top 4.

I’d go:

Hughes Schenn 

OEL P. Myers

Stillman Poolman

• Cheers 3