The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

99 points season, gets you McDavid attention from other teams. McDavid can withstand this attention, Miller can not. He just can not think the game fast enough to withstand superstar attention. 

Miller is playing with 2 pylons. Even McDavid would have problems getting points with them. 

He’s not going from 99 points to only 60 points. Boudreau will likely put him with Podkolzin and Garland next game and let BO skate with the pylons. 

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Special teams is killing the team. 

The subpar Dcorps is killing this team. 

They’re related. 

Make Bieksa play! :lol:

My point is simply that there’s no leadership on the backend. 

There’s plenty of leadership on the front end but when the Canucks have been ‘great’, they had 3 Leadership components. Forwards, Defence and Goaltending. 

The team has 2 out of 3. Demko and Petey, Miller, Horvat are all leaders. No real question there for me. 

The issue is on D. There’s no leadership there. Hughes is a great player, but is he the kind of a ‘leader’ that the dcorps needs? I don’t think so. 

There's absolutely no way you can blame the D for either of these losses. None. Zero. 

Special teams, absolutely. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, J-23 said:

Make Bieksa play.

I would have more trust in old man Juice than our AHL defensive core.

I mean he can’t be forced to play obviously. 

It’s an honorary signing. 

But, just for morale sake, then they’d need to discuss it with him, his agent, his insurer, Canucks doctors clearing him and on and on. 

There’s too many variables where Bieksa can’t play, even one game, unless he waived all those considerations and just says, “Fuck it, I’m in and ok to go”. 

But, ownership would be on the hook if anything went wrong, especially because Juice isn’t in game shape, AT ALL, and doesn’t know the systems and again on and on. 

It’s just us wanting him back in the lineup that’s fuelling this. 

I wonder though if the organization can’t sign him as Coach. Whether that means dman coach or just an ass kicker coach. 

I want him signed as a coach moreso than a player. Bieksa practices with the boys and instills the kind of experience he went through to the guys playing now. 

We need a guy like Kevin guiding the team culture. That, I support. 

Starting to wonder if Bo wants to be here anymore.

Can not have been easy, year after year of disappointment.

Then he finally gets a top line winger in Brock, to help he and Pearson put up some points as the number one line.

A year later, Brock goes on Petey's line, never to really return.

Heck Brock has probably now played more with Miller than he ever did with Bo?

Takse all the important face offs, then mostly skate off the ice, right away.

Then get your actual shift. I swear 2 or 3 minutes per game of this guy's ice time is strictly for faceoffs.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Doxm said:

There's absolutely no way you can blame the D for either of these losses. None. Zero. 

Special teams, absolutely. 

Lack of D talent directly affects the special teams 

Other than Hughes, who’s there to run the PP? 

OEL isn’t the same quarterback that he used to be. 

The team is absolutely lacking in Dcorps leadership. 

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Starting to wonder if Bo wants to be here anymore.

Can not have been easy, year after year of disappointment.

Then he finally gets a top line winger in Brock, to help he and Pearson put up some points as the number one line.

A year later, Brock goes on Petey's line, never to really return.

Heck Brock has probably now played more with Miller than he ever did with Bo?

Takse all the important face offs, then mostly skate off the ice, right away.

Then get your actual shift. I swear 2 or 3 minutes per game of this guy's ice time is strictly for faceoffs.

I’m sure Bo wants to be here. It’s not all on the Captain. 

There’s so many questions around the entire team. Top down. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, AV. said:

It depends on how you look at the situation.

The value you receive in the deal may not be ideal or "close", but the cap space you gain from any trade is valuable in itself because it allows you to weaponize down the line.  More than ever in recent seasons, we've seen how good it can be for teams to have cap-space and to snag assets by helping other teams out.  We don't have that now with this extension.

I'm well aware of the concept of opportunity cost when it comes to the salary cap. 

That TDL NYR trade offer leaked in the summer before the draft (after Chytl heavily exceeded expectations in the playoffs)... and even then (with the hindsight of knowing Chytl had a very strong playoffs) I did not read many posters in the Miller Trade thread stating we should have taken that deal (when it leaked)....Were you one of those posters?   

Every one expected us to get some huge bounty for him at the draft.  The Canucks clearly tried to drum up a market and bidding war for him.  It was all anyone in Canucks land was talking about for months.  Again, it sounds like they were close on a deal with the islanders... what that was, I don't know... I don't believe anything credible has leaked yet.  Maybe it will.  Despite all the buzz and frenzy this summer there was not one credible report saying we received any quality offers for him this summer.

So what is it?  Which trade is it you are advocating for?  Should we have just let him walk in FA?  Should we have taken that deal last spring?  If yes to the deal last spring, are you just saying that now in hindsight (knowing the summer was a dud), or were you saying that was your position before the draft happened.  

Hypothetically, lets say that we got offered a mid 2022 first for him this summer (with no cap back)... should we have taken that? Should we have left him unsigned and waited til this TDL where maybe we could have gotten a 1st++ at the TDL (with the hope he didn't get injured)? 

Its easy to sit on the sideline and snipe but I'm genuinely interested in hearing what exact route you would have gone as GM.  I appreciate its impossible to know what the best offers were this summer... But I (along with many other posters on this board) followed the situation religiously all summer and IMO management would have traded him for any half decent package of picks/prospects/players.  

I don't beleive the offers werent there.  In the end, we locked him up on a reasonable deal.  The cap is expected to dramatically increase in the coming years and I don't think this deal will age as bad as people (such as yourself) are suggesting it will.  Maybe the $8M would be better allocated elsewhere, but if we let him walk as a UFA, there would have been hell to pay by mgmt as well.

Just now, ktcy2 said:

Ok let’s stack up. Miller Petey Kuzy line one. That’s the only way. Horvat podz hogs line two, the rest of the guys are all 4th liners just do whatever with the bottom 6. 

You’re putting two centres on the first line. That doesn’t work.