The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rutherford again criticizes Canucks structure: 'Something has to be fixed'

Rate this topic

fivethej

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This just sounds like an old dad saying "You wait until you get home young man!"  :lol: 

Why wait until after the road trip?  

If our boys get embarrassed in TO and Boston it could happen sooner.  

Curious who the next guy would be?  Yoe, Collitan?  Outside the organization?  Trotz? 

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

So based on stereotypes and opinions you've formed based on streams and broadcasts. Sorry, give me Miller over Loui "I'm here for the paycheque" E any day.

Those guys you smear are often the ones who lead a team to victory...it's not so much a selfish thing as it is a deep desire to win. They don't hide it. That's what you're seeing...players who are all in and wear their hearts on their sleeves out there. Sure, they might give up on plays when they're down and slink off the ice and that's not great...but they also drive the net with the puck and slam people out of their way because that same emotion drives both. It's better than players who are indifferent out there.

Watch, closely, how Miller celebrates other guys' goals to see a team player.

Well, we have a different opinion on what a team is. 

Neither of us will change their opinion. B)

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This just sounds like an old dad saying "You wait until you get home young man!"  :lol: 

Why wait until after the road trip?  

It seems to be a ploy, a tactic. At least I hope so because that stuff sticks.

Get the players worried and playing for their coach stuff.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think point is @Timråfan that it doesn’t matter where a player comes from.  

If you and DLC get stuck on sterotypes so. 

I only use them to highlight the problem.

Neither of us can spend all evenings writing small books on what a team is or what an ego is. 

Sterotypes is pretty useful to get to the point rightaway. 

Or did I misunderstanding the point again? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Neither of us can spend all evenings writing small books on what a team is or what an ego is. 

We're not stuck on them, but you appear to be.

Top players have to have a bit of ego/drive to be the best. Pride. 

When you watch Miller and Bo connecting, that's team work. An ego/me first guy would shoot/try to score. They're starting to develop chemistry where one knows where the other will be and they set each other up. People dream up a big rivalry between them...I see two great teammates working together. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

I think we all just want us to have a team like the one Gillis built but that can sustain that level of success for longer.  Maybe a bottom five finish this season gets us (at the draft) another elite core piece?  So we suffer this season, but are better in the long term. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We're not stuck on them, but you appear to be.

Top players have to have a bit of ego/drive to be the best. Pride. 

When you watch Miller and Bo connecting, that's team work. An ego/me first guy would shoot/try to score. They're starting to develop chemistry where one knows where the other will be and they set each other up. People dream up a big rivalry between them...I see two great teammates working together. 

I would love it if they played together for a long time and Miller stays as a winger. 
Bo has earned a great winger for some time now.

I thought it was ok with 8 mill for Miller so if he just try a bit more defensively I’m fine with him staying. But I don’t think he’s the guy the young ones should look up to.

Petey is way ahead and he’s much younger. 
Petey works the whole ice, will win probably more than Miller and is a role model in behaviour. 

• There it is 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we all just want us to have a team like the one Gillis built but that can sustain that level of success for longer.  Maybe a bottom five finish this season gets us (at the draft) another elite core piece?  So we suffer this season, but are better in the long term. 

We really need the tougher guys.

The Preds just pushed us around for the win. It shouldn’t be possible. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

We really need the tougher guys.

The Preds just pushed us around for the win. It shouldn’t be possible. 

Top minute guys who are also tough as nails are rare.  Miller can be that type of player.  He’s a big boy too.  Bo is also big, but doesn’t seem to have any meanness.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Top minute guys who are also tough as nails are rare.  Miller can be that type of player.  He’s a big boy too.  Bo is also big, but doesn’t seem to have any meanness.  

The only one I can think of now is Lucic.

If Benning had signed him instead of Loui it would have been much better for the team. 

Our fourth line needs a bit of thug in them and we probably need to trade away at least two of our small guys. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

The only one I can think of now is Lucic.

If Benning had signed him instead of Loui it would have been much better for the team. 

Our fourth line needs a bit of thug in them and we probably need to trade away at least two of our small guys. 

Looch is a thug.  I’m thinking more about guys who are very good players that can play with bite so are no fun to play against.  Like Petr Forseberg was.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looch is a thug.  I’m thinking more about guys who are very good players that can play with bite so are no fun to play against.  Like Petr Forseberg was.  

Yeah, he's a thug but our stars could have played without slashing or bad hitting. 

The way the team is composed now with small players like Garland, Höglander, Hughes and even Petey it's too easy to intimidate them. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

Yeah, he's a thug but our stars could have played without slashing or bad hitting. 

The way the team is composed now with small players like Garland, Höglander, Hughes and even Petey it's too easy to intimidate them. 

I see.  Like a bodyguard.  Semenko type.  Ya, Looch was good at that, and could play minutes with those top guys.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I would love it if they played together for a long time and Miller stays as a winger. 
Bo has earned a great winger for some time now.

I thought it was ok with 8 mill for Miller so if he just try a bit more defensively I’m fine with him staying. But I don’t think he’s the guy the young ones should look up to.

Petey is way ahead and he’s much younger. 
Petey works the whole ice, will win probably more than Miller and is a role model in behaviour. 

I agree, but the timing's off. Petey is working his way there but, right now, we don't want to place all the pressure on his shoulders. At least officially.

Petey is an excellent role model in how he works so hard and will do anything to be better.  This will definitely be "his team" if he sticks around.

I don't disagree...I just feel that Bo and JT are the two who will take the heat off Petey so he can just work his craft.

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I agree, but the timing's off. Petey is working his way there but, right now, we don't want to place all the pressure on his shoulders. At least officially.

Petey is an excellent role model in how he works so hard and will do anything to be better.  This will definitely be "his team" if he sticks around.

I don't disagree...I just feel that Bo and JT are the two who will take the heat off Petey so he can just work his craft.

Remember that Petey doesn’t bother about pressure on his shoulders. 

That’s why he’s an extremely good role model.

Millers not, far from that kind of role model as Miller seems to cave in under pressure.

So remember this, Petey doesn’t need anyone to take pressure of him.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

19 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is what I see as our biggest issue. We have offensive players who lack intimidation or strong defensive ability. Hence, we consistently blow leads, get intimidated and get out played consistently. This is what I disliked about the Sedins, when they were allowed to play their game, they were magic. When the intensity increased or the physicality increased, their abilities diminished.

The only player I see that help us in these situations are players like Schenn and maybe Burroughs. Players like Pearson, Bo and Miller can hold their own, but they are not going to intimidate or outmuscle bigger, stronger players.

There is an imbalance on this team that needs to be rectified, now. 

As much as all of us like our smaller, non-physical offensive players, we need to mix in the Tkachuks, Kane, Lucic type of players in there somewhere.

Otherwise, we are just going to go round and round in this merry go round for years and years to come.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1