The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I'd rather see a rebuild or tdl Myers,Pearson,Schenn and Brock B get traded for what you can get.Resign Bo and get us two RHD some how and ufa the rest trying to keep cap room for Kuz and EP.

Plus if we do not play Rathbone enough trade him to.

Schenn is one of the few pieces I wouldn't trade.

He's probably the most steady defenceman. And it's good to have a vet help with younger defence.

• Thanks 1

The meddling from higher up with this team is ridiculous.  Owner clearly meddling with GM. Then GM clearly meddling with coaching. The decision to play either Rathbone or Stillman in front of Burroughs, who clearly has better defensive numbers plus physicality can only come from the GM trying to save face. 

They made the Dickey trade, and by not playing Stillman it would clearly show it was a flop. So I can only guess there's pressure from the GM to sit Burroughs still.

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Schenn is one of the few pieces I wouldn't trade.

He's probably the most steady defenceman. And it's good to have a vet help with younger defence.

Don't disagree. 

But this, and his dirt cheap contract with little term attached are exactly why he has value. 

Except for Huggy every other D is either negative value (pay to unload) or virtually no real value sadly.   This alone paints a sad picture of the state of this franchise. 

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Don't disagree. 

But this, and his dirt cheap contract with little term attached are exactly why he has value. 

Except for Huggy every other D is either negative value (pay to unload) or virtually no real value sadly.   This alone paints a sad picture of the state of this franchise. 

Which is why I state we go for a home run return and at least ask around for a return on Hughes. Even if he turns out to be a regular 120 point defenceman. What's the point if the rest of the d-corps is useless? It's like McDavid with no supporting cast in Edmonton. The scary part Vancouver looks a LOT like pre-McDiver Edmonton right now.

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Which is why I state we go for a home run return and at least ask around for a return on Hughes. Even if he turns out to be a regular 120 point defenceman. What's the point if the rest of the d-corps is useless? It's like McDavid with no supporting cast in Edmonton. The scary part Vancouver looks a LOT like pre-McDiver Edmonton right now.

If Huggy was 2 or 3 years older, or past the halfway point in the term of his contract I'd be inclined to agree.   He's young enough now though, and has enough term left on his deal right now to easily be here after a proper rebuild,  or at least be here to experience the team trending in the right direction and possibly re-sign/trade then.   

Demko,  Huggy, and EP,  in that order,  would be my untouchables in a rebuild,  or at least my 'only consider trading for massive overpayment' guys. 

On 11/9/2022 at 7:22 PM, Muttley said:
Team Shots Hits Blocked FO Wins Giveaways Takeaways Power Plays
VAN 33 16 8 52.8% 8 5 0/2
MON 29 9 15 47.2% 18 4 1/4

There are times stats don't tell the tale accurately. This would be one.  :goat:

It means they still easily lost to a lousy team that was having a pretty a poor game. 

On 11/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, Randy Johnson said:

Gene was a beauty, “Canada’s greatest athlete”!. He owned a bar in point Roberts call Kininski’s reef that is still there. He would hang around the bar often, such a character. RIP

One night years ago we were in there and I walk up to the bar to get a beer. The Great Man himself was working the counter. He looks at me and barks "whadaya want?"

I straighten up, step back and point at him coolly, saying "I want YOU, Mean Gene".

He goes "agh!" and walks away with a scowl and a dismissive hand wave. 

I had to get my beer from someone else. 

• Cheers 1