The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tank Hard for Bedard - Playoff chances are already Slim

Rate this topic

Provost

28 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

They can’t field the team they currently have and have shown no ability to clear cap. They will be getting progressively desperate and this something 31 other teams understand. 
Getting out of this salary cap mess is going to be very expensive or take more patience than this group has illustrated.  We have no second round pics to work with now so I expect this or next years 1st round pics will be in play to clear cap. 

I think they're banking on boeser looking good down the stretch, which makes him much more palatable for two years 

Just now, stawns said:

They used a surplus pick, which I'm fine with.  I don't believe, in any way, that they're going to trade their own.  I also doubt they drop any lower than #11

I doubt they drop lower than 11th as well.

However, I'm not convinced they won't trade the pick depending on where we're at. You can believe what you want. Given your reaction to most of the trades at the deadline... if what you want is supposed to align with what you believe, perhaps the opposite of what you believe will happen at this point. lol

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

He was referring to the pick, or at least that's what I was referring.

Lek will be fine, imo.  Tons of skill, elite shot, good two way game........dealing with mono isn't something you get over easily and in the WJHC, his coach was terrible, imo.  I'm not too worried about Lek 

Fair point. I remember mono. I had a full body rash. Had to go to the hospital for some IV.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I doubt they drop lower than 11th as well.

However, I'm not convinced they won't trade the pick depending on where we're at. You can believe what you want. Given your reaction to most of the trades at the deadline... if what you want is supposed to align with what you believe, perhaps the opposite of what you believe will happen at this point. lol

I wanted Miller and Boeser gone, which would have been the smartest move, but I also said I didn't think it was going to happen.  I still hold out some hope they move them both at the draft, but I do think they'll manage to move Boeser and regain a second 

Just now, stawns said:

I wanted Miller and Boeser gone, which would have been the smartest move, but I also said I didn't think it was going to happen.  I still hold out some hope they move them both at the draft, but I do think they'll manage to move Boeser and regain a second 

I'm talking more about your reaction to the Lockwood trade, then the Stillman trade, then then Schenn trade, etc. You just seemed to be negative about all of it.

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm talking more about your reaction to the Lockwood trade, then the Stillman trade, then then Schenn trade, etc. You just seemed to be negative about all of it.

I had no issue with the Lockwood deal, in fact id included kravstov in a miller deal last year.  I was just reminding nding people that Lockwood is a good young player as well.  

The Stillman trade still doesn't make much sense, as they need dmen not wingers.  Schenn, I'd rather have kept him than get a third.  

Just now, stawns said:

I had no issue with the Lockwood deal, in fact id included kravstov in a miller deal last year.  I was just reminding nding people that Lockwood is a good young player as well.  

The Stillman trade still doesn't make much sense, as they need dmen not wingers.  Schenn, I'd rather have kept him than get a third.  

Well, aside from not coming off as you describe in the Lockwood thread, this goes to show that what you believe will happen isn't necessarily going to be what actually happens. I'm not saying it's bad to have opinions of course, but I guess this is why I go "never say never" rather than say there's no chance.

Just now, The Lock said:

Well, aside from not coming off as you describe in the Lockwood thread, this goes to show that what you believe will happen isn't necessarily going to be what actually happens. I'm not saying it's bad to have opinions of course, but I guess this is why I go "never say never" rather than say there's no chance.

I think you confuse what I think should happen with what I think will hsppen

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think you confuse what I think should happen with what I think will hsppen

Well that's fair enough.

We'll be all excited about getting Bedard after winning the lottery... and then trade for like some stupid package. Just pull a Cam Neely. ;)

2 hours ago, stawns said:

If we had held off on Hronek deal and moved Miller for 2 firsts and cap s-ace we would be looking good into off-season. 
4 first rounders, 2 second rounders and space to work with. That is how you retool. Those assets would give you so many more options than being forced into a cap clearing deal that will cost young assets and being up against a hard deadline to trade Miller. 
Teams know they have us over a barrel going into off-season but at least we got an asset that would likely have been available in the off-season to help save us from improving lottery odds. 
Even for their stated goals of a quick retool this would have been the best position to be in not what we chose to do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

If we had held off on Hronek deal and moved Miller for 2 firsts and cap s-ace we would be looking good into off-season. 
4 first rounders, 2 second rounders and space to work with. That is how you retool. Those assets would give you so many more options than being forced into a cap clearing deal that will cost young assets and being up against a hard deadline to trade Miller. 
Teams know they have us over a barrel going into off-season but at least we got an asset that would likely have been available in the off-season to help save us from improving lottery odds. 
Even for their stated goals of a quick retool this would have been the best position to be in not what we chose to do. 

No argument here.  I have no issues with the Hronek move, he's a great dman, but there was no need to do it at the tdl, imo.  They should have cleared cap space first, then made a move for a dman 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Pipe dream under Francesco.  Lets see what happens next year cause that playoff revenue, is priority #1 despite the yearly results...

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Pipe dream under Francesco.  Lets see what happens next year cause that playoff revenue, is priority #1 despite the yearly results...

Even for the situation of madly burning assets to get into a playoff spot we would have been in a better situation. Only thing that is worse for is season ticket pushes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Agreed.  I don't think they'll win all their games against non playoff teams, nor do I think they'll lose all their games against playoff teams.  I expect they'll hover slightly above .500 hockey from now until the end.

There's currently 12 points between us and being out of the top ten picks. I doubt we fall out of the top 10 picks unless teams behind us get lucky in the lottery to move up. If we play .500 and finish with 75 pts Calgary needs to lose 15 of their remaing 19 games to drop below us or Washington lose 14 of their remaining 18. So even playing a little over .500 leaves it unlikely to drop out of the top 10 picks. I'd like to be in the top ten, but I also really like seeing the team win. I guess I fall into the "let the chips fall where they may" category. 

The good news is the odds are against the worst team actually getting the 1st overall. Yet the worst team actually did get 1st overall in the last two drafts. What are the odds the odds will be beaten three years in a row? Possible of course, but I see it as good sign for the teams behind the worst team this year. :lol:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

There's currently 12 points between us and being out of the top ten picks. I doubt we fall out of the top 10 picks unless teams behind us get lucky in the lottery to move up. If we play .500 and finish with 75 pts Calgary needs to lose 15 of their remaing 19 games to drop below us or Washington lose 14 of their remaining 18. So even playing a little over .500 leaves it unlikely to drop out of the top 10 picks. I'd like to be in the top ten, but I also really like seeing the team win. I guess I fall into the "let the chips fall where they may" category. 

The good news is the odds are against the worst team actually getting the 1st overall. Yet the worst team actually did get 1st overall in the last two drafts. What are the odds the odds will be beaten three years in a row? Possible of course, but I see it as good sign for the teams behind the worst team this year. :lol:

I agree it's unlikely........but not impossible.  I'll never cheer for a loss, but I will cheer for Ari, Mon, Phi, StL, Det and Cal to win as many games as possible

In the end, I think they finish ahead of Ari, Mon, Phi and StL

• Cheers 1

SJS 3  - WPG 2

SJS tied it 2-2 with 11 seconds left in Da Turd (Hertl) -- then won it in overtime

I'm watching Chi/Ott game.....CHI is actually OWNING the Sens tonight, up 4-0 in the 2nd...outskating, scoring, everything

(our former Dickie is playing great for CHI tonight)

Now if the Nux could just dial it in a bit on the moral victories lately....

tank sherman GIF

We face Western Conference teams for the rest of our games. Almost every game has implications for where we'll draft. 

We are 17-12-3 against the Western Conference this year. In comparison, we are 9-20-2 versus the Eastern Conference.

I expect us to win the majority of our games for the rest of the season, and end up picking 10th overall unless we get some luck in the lottery. 

Detroit did not just sell at the trade deadline--they gave us a player in Hronek who can help us pass them in the standings.
On the plus side, having Hronek will balance our pairings out a bit, so we don't have to play Hughes 30 mins a game.
We need to focus the rest of our season on playing our young guys more, and assessing where they are in their development. 

I think Tocc is in on the tank. That's why he played Silovs. And that's why Silovs was sent down. He's too good.

Tocc also put Podz and Kratz out in overtime. They have been playing great. But if it was a must win game , he's not putting them out in OT. This is a good sign. He's giving them the opportunity to lose.

Why not ? He's the managements guy. He doesn't have to worry about his job. His job will be easier next year , when it matters, if they get a high pick.

• Cheers 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, stawns said:

No argument here.  I have no issues with the Hronek move, he's a great dman, but there was no need to do it at the tdl, imo.  They should have cleared cap space first, then made a move for a dman 

Ideally yes, but you don’t know if the Hronek trade would be available at the draft, nor the cost of freeing up cap space.

PA seems confident in his options. Let’s see how it plays out…