The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] November 18 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Los Angeles Kings - 7:00pm PT/10:00pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

17 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

If management is telling Boudreau to play Stillman,  they need to be fired...out of a cannon.  If it's Boudreau's decision,  maybe it's time for him to take a seat from the press box and watch Tyler Myers

0 points for Stillman this season and more importantly only 1 win vs the ducks and that was a defence optional night.

Almost feel sorry for demko.

Updated lines, no changes for kings.

Changes for canucks (why?)

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
LINES
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a tough one because despite his record, Demko is still this team's starter and everyone on that teams knows it. For better or worse, regardless of how things play out, if the idea is to keep Demko instead of trading him they need to keep giving him rope. 

It's not as if Martin's played amazing either, better than Demko is fine for a backup but contest also matters. Demko's coming in with a GAA of 4.02 and SV% of .877,, Martin's coming in with GAA of 3.49 and a SV% of .898. Neither tender is playing amazing, one is just compensated as a backup while the other is the starter. 

Goal scoring matters too, Demko simply hasn't had the run support Martin's been getting as the Canucks have scored 29 goals with Demko in 11 games, and 29 goals with Martin in 6 games. In a sense Demko's getting the Halak treatment, the Canucks barely scored for Halak and for whatever reason Martin's gotten much more run support in a smaller sample size. Demko has 44 goals against in 11 games played, Martin has 21 against in 6. 21x2=42. Now, that last bit is theoretical spitballing but as of today Martin really hasn't been that much better in terms of GAA. 

I'm pointing all this out because folks tend to latch on to whichever goaltender has been able to deliver wins. Martin's delivered on wins at the end of the day, this is true, but Demko's been scapegoated for the rest of the team to a degree. Just wait til Martin inevitably has a stretch of poor games, folks will turn on him too. 

I think that's quite valid but since we can still count our wins on one hand I'm a bit surprised we're not doing anything we can for wins like playing Martin (or playing Burroughs). 

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I think that's quite valid but since we can still count our wins on one hand I'm a bit surprised we're not doing anything we can for wins like playing Martin (or playing Burroughs). 

I understand the argument for Martin, but if this is really Demko's team you've got to let him work through it at some point regardless of how the season goes. It's a team game and while goaltending is critical to a team's success I don't think it's as black and white as laying the failure or success at the feet of a particular goaltender. At least not in this case. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

Stillman is an ECHL player at best. How we're deciding to bench Rathbone (who needs minutes), Burroughs etc.. for him is abysmal decision making. We all know they're trying to save face because of the trade. Fact of the matter is, the fanbase would be much more open to just cutting our losses and hoping for a better next trade. We don't need to be brainwashed into thinking Stillman is some kind of actual NHL option, he isn't. He's honestly the worst dman I've ever witnessed play (more like try to play lol) the game of hockey in 20 years of watching the NHL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I understand the argument for Martin, but if this is really Demko's team you've got to let him work through it at some point regardless of how the season goes. It's a team game and while goaltending is critical to a team's success I don't think it's as black and white as laying the failure or success at the feet of a particular goaltender. At least not in this case. 

I guess there's no perfect time to do it, earlier beats later though i wouldn't be doing it if my seat was hot.

The Canucks really have a habit of doing this though with goalies though. When Auld was on fire, they went back to Cloutier. When Schneider was too they went to Luongo. It's certainly justifiable but then you look at goalies who get hot like Binnington, Giguere and Kipprusoff and you sometimes wonder if the Canucks make the wrong call. Then again some goalies get hot and go nowhere. More surprised by the lack of Burroughs.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a tough one because despite his record, Demko is still this team's starter and everyone on that teams knows it. For better or worse, regardless of how things play out, if the idea is to keep Demko instead of trading him they need to keep giving him rope. 

It's not as if Martin's played amazing either, better than Demko is fine for a backup but contest also matters. Demko's coming in with a GAA of 4.02 and SV% of .877,, Martin's coming in with GAA of 3.49 and a SV% of .898. Neither tender is playing amazing, one is just compensated as a backup while the other is the starter. 

Goal scoring matters too, Demko simply hasn't had the run support Martin's been getting as the Canucks have scored 29 goals with Demko in 11 games, and 29 goals with Martin in 6 games. In a sense Demko's getting the Halak treatment, the Canucks barely scored for Halak and for whatever reason Martin's gotten much more run support in a smaller sample size. Demko has 44 goals against in 11 games played, Martin has 21 against in 6. 21x2=42. Now, that last bit is theoretical spitballing but as of today Martin really hasn't been that much better in terms of GAA. 

I'm pointing all this out because folks tend to latch on to whichever goaltender has been able to deliver wins. Martin's delivered on wins at the end of the day, this is true, but Demko's been scapegoated for the rest of the team to a degree. Just wait til Martin inevitably has a stretch of poor games, folks will turn on him too. 

I'm not saying anything at all about keeping/trading Demko. That's not even on my radar.

Right now Martin is the better/hotter goalie and the team is playing better in front of him. The team also knows that. We're at a crucial time in needing wins for a shot at a turnaround this season. And clearly Martin has been the better goalie this season. Context surrounding goals also matters. It's not like Martin's been a sieve and been unreliable and inconsistent as Halak/Holtby. If anything, in a weird turn of events, that's been our starter.

Martin's not only been reliable but also consistent. That's where he's been better, which matters most right now.

There's less and less time to experiment in the hope Demko regains his form. That's the real dilemma, which you've tapped into with the points you raised.

Have faith in your starter who's struggling or run with the more consistent/hot goalie because wins really are what matter most now (from the turnaround perspective). 

There's a natural built-in "scapegoating" - if you will - with a starter struggling like this. The more he struggles, the bigger the spotlight and need for him to regain his form. I'm just saying we really need to string wins together right now to get to .500 to even have a shot this season at a turnaround. 

There's also something to be said for momentum and riding the hotter goalie given his "known" consistency versus running with "known" inconsistency. 

20 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I guess there's no perfect time to do it, earlier beats later though i wouldn't be doing it if my seat was hot.

The Canucks really have a habit of doing this though with goalies though. When Auld was on fire, they went back to Cloutier. When Schneider was too they went to Luongo. It's certainly justifiable but then you look at goalies who get hot like Binnington, Giguere and Kipprusoff and you sometimes wonder if the Canucks make the wrong call. Then again some goalies get hot and go nowhere. More surprised by the lack of Burroughs.

There isn't really, goaltending is a weird thing to begin with and there's always a spotlight.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm not saying anything at all about keeping/trading Demko. That's not even on my radar.

Right now Martin is the better/hotter goalie and the team is playing better in front of him. The team also knows that. We're at a crucial time in needing wins for a shot at a turnaround this season. And clearly Martin has been the better goalie this season. Context surrounding goals also matters. It's not like Martin's been a sieve and been unreliable and inconsistent as Halak/Holtby. If anything, in a weird turn of events, that's been our starter.

Martin's not only been reliable but also consistent. That's where he's been better, which matters most right now.

There's less and less time to experiment in the hope Demko regains his form. That's the real dilemma, which you've tapped into with the points you raised.

Have faith in your starter who's struggling or run with the more consistent/hot goalie because wins really are what matter most now (from the turnaround perspective). 

There's a natural built-in "scapegoating" - if you will - with a starter struggling like this. The more he struggles, the bigger the spotlight and need for him to regain his form. I'm just saying we really need to string wins together right now to get to .500 to even have a shot this season at a turnaround. 

There's also something to be said for momentum and riding the hotter goalie given his "known" consistency versus running with "known" inconsistency. 

Not on your radar as in individual sure, but there's a whole lot of tribalism regarding tenders this season. Demko carried this team last season, he was their MVP, folks sure are quick to whip the knives out. 

Critical or not, you still have to play Demko. Demko knows he needs to work through things, and critical junction or not they need to play him. If they win, they do that as a team, if they lose they'll do that as a team too. Halak wasn't a sieve, I argued throughout his tenure that he didn't get a whole lot of run support. Demko did. Holtby didn't seem to get much either. For whatever reason this team hasn't played very well for backups most of the last decade, Martin is an exception thus far but we'll see how long that continues.

• There it is 1

16 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Do you guys remember that time about 23 years ago when this team was really bad, like 20-25 win team then they drafted some guys super high up and it changed the whole franchise for years to come? That was cool...

chris farley snl GIF

They had some questionable picks in 97 as well. :towel:

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not on your radar as in individual sure, but there's a whole lot of tribalism regarding tenders this season. Demko carried this team last season, he was their MVP, folks sure are quick to whip the knives out. 

I"m not whipping knives out or turning on Demko. I'm saying Martin should start tonight. He's been the better goalie. Simple. No emotion. We need wins.

People aren't  turning on Demko. From my view, people are simply saying run with the hotter goalie right now given the situation. I'd run with Martin tonight and give Demko Vegas because we need MVP goaltending against them and we need Martin to steal a game like tonight. 

14 minutes ago, chon derry said:

They had some questionable picks in 97 as well. :towel:

Do you mean when they drafted that stud from the Plymouth Whalers,  who made the OHL All Rookie team in 1997 and OHL second all star team in 1999, silver medal winner at the 1999 WJHC? 

Yeah Bai, those were the days....but I'm a heavy equipment man now. That was my first passion.