The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Alvin's 1st Round pick just been flushed down the toilet and wasted.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yep. Looks like your concerns have come true.  He's now in Concussion Protocol indefinately.   Looks like Alvin's home-town 1st Rd. pick is headed into the twilight zone.  What a waste when we are so desperate to re-stock the barren cupboards down on the farm. 

Add this to that ridiculous trade for Stillman - while throwing away an extremely valuable 2nd Round draft pick - and he's quickly losing credibility around here - even as an inexperienced rookie GM.   Not just because of the concussion but mainly due to his extremely poor performance all year leaving him looking like a "BUST".

QUOTE:   "After taking a hit to the head on Saturday, CanucksArmy has learned that Lekkerimäki has entered concussion protocol with his Allsvenskan team Djurgården and will miss games over the foreseeable future,"

Petey also suffered a concussion his first year in the NHL.  He got hit hard twice.  So it's not the end of the world for the kid.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey also suffered a concussion his first year in the NHL.  He got hit hard twice.  So it's not the end of the world for the kid.

Hopefully he recovers well too (wish him the best) but that's not what so many are concerned about.  It's his terrible performance.   There was another article from sweden I translated using google that said he shouldn't even be playing in that league because he is so bad.  I'm trying to find it again and will post it once I do.     That's the more concerning thing.     I guess that supports why some of the 14 other teams passed him by in the draft - but leaves egg on our face for PA drafting here in Canucks land!   

I bet if he wasn't Swedish, PA would have passed him by too and picked one of the other available draftees that made more sense. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hopefully he recovers well too (wish him the best) but that's not what so many are concerned about.  It's his terrible performance.   There was another article from sweden I translated using google that said he shouldn't even be playing in that league because he is so bad.  I'm trying to find it again and will post it once I do.     That's the more concerning thing.     I guess that supports why some of the 14 other teams passed him by in the draft - but leaves egg on our face for PA drafting here in Canucks land!   

I bet if he wasn't Swedish, PA would have passed him by too and picked one of the other available draftees that made more sense. 

I agree, he is not good enough yet to play in the SHL.  He should be playing in HockeyAllsvenskan for at least one more year, maybe two...

• Cheers 1

Even if he recovers, I'd argue the pick was largely a waste even at the time it was made. An undersized winger to add to our list of undersized wingers. Bischel is a 6'5 D-man. Albeit left D. But still. WE NEED D-MEN. Not more 5'10 score first forwards. Or trade down and try snag another draft pick. Woulda made the gift wrapped second hurt less. That did come later though, so hindsight goggles.

In defense of this pick though. It can look solid if we do a tear down of the current roster. This guy was always expected to be a long term project anyway. He wasn't drafted to help us contend next year or even within the next 3 years. So if we tear down the roster. This draft is fine I guess. Unless he gets hard derailed by concussions.

Edited by N7Nucks

On 11/28/2022 at 9:58 PM, DeNiro said:

Sergachev was the safe smart pick there.

Rumour has it Brackett was pushing to trade down and take MacAvoy.

Juolevi was far from safe. He benefited from playing on some very good teams. Always played soft and nothing really solid about him other than skating.

Sergachev was only a safe pick because of how good he was. 

Honestly how anybody picked Juolevi over him blew my mind away. Sergachev looked miles ahead of Juolevi. I really had no idea why he got drafted so high. Juolevi was making very basic plays on a stacked team. Sergachev looked like he could help carry a team. 

Gah, still bummed about that one. 

On 11/28/2022 at 2:36 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

While many normal Canucks fans were very upset and mystified - but not entirely surprised - that Alvin was magnetized by and just couldn't resist picking one his fellow countrymen (Lekkerimaki) in the 1st Rd draft at 15th, despite many teams passing up on him from his 9th place ranking, it's starting to look like our 1st Round pick is quickly turning to mush following another serious blow to his head on the weekend.  Despite his terrible performance this year, these repeated head shots and likely concussions may be the final nail in the coffin for this struggling featherweight finesse player, as he quickly turns into just another Concussed Washed-out Marshmallow. 

How "Canucks" would it be if this draft pick goes "Bust" after all the bad draft picks JB made and gave away over the past near-decade!     

Here is the just released report from "The Province" of what happened:

"A season that’s started poorly for Vancouver Canucks top prospect Jonathan Lekkerimaki just got worse.

The 15th overall pick in the 2022 NHL Entry Draft, playing for Djurgardens IF of Sweden’s second-tier HockeyAllsvenskan, took a hard, high hit in a game on Saturday and immediately dropped to the ice.

The hit came midway through the third period, as the 18-year-old entered the offensive zone with the puck and spun away from a Vasteras IK defender, only to get crushed by another player. (See video of the hit above)

Lekkerimaki did not return to the game, a 2-1 loss for Djurgardens. He may have a concussion, though that has yet to be confirmed.

Lekkerimaki, a 5-foot-11, 172-pound right-shot forward, was already struggling this season, netting just one goal and four assists in 20 games.

He had taken another hard hit along the boards in a game a couple weeks ago, but was able to skate it off.

Jonathan Lekkerimaki (#88) selected 15th OA by Vancouver in 2022 has struggled a bit thus far in the HockeyAllsvenskan. A bit too much 

How about instead of sh&^%ing on a young player who took a head shot, wish him luck and hope it doesn't affect his career, This is a garbage post by someone with garbage morals.....people wonder why our fan base get's called toxic. Do better.

Edited by Harold Drunken

3 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

How about instead of on a young player who took a head shot, wish him luck and hope it doesn't affect his career, This is a garbage post by someone with garbage morals.....people wonder why our fan base get's called toxic. Do better.

I did but thanks for the reminder.  (Keep reading further down the post list)    Wish him good fortune and nothing but the very best but this news (that is NOT my creation) although very unfortunate and negative in nature, is not "sh1^%ing" on someone - it's called reality - something "Some" Canucks fans hate to face and admit to.   I like you, probably wish everything was Rainbows & Lollipops in Canucks Land - but it just isn't!

Cheers and don't forget to light an extra candle when you go to church on Sunday for a speedy recovery for the poor kid!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yep. Looks like your concerns have come true.  He's now in Concussion Protocol indefinately.   Looks like Alvin's home-town 1st Rd. pick is headed into the twilight zone.  What a waste when we are so desperate to re-stock the barren cupboards down on the farm. 

Add this to that ridiculous trade for Stillman - while throwing away an extremely valuable 2nd Round draft pick - and he's quickly losing credibility around here - even as an inexperienced rookie GM.   Not just because of the concussion but mainly due to his extremely poor performance all year leaving him looking like a "BUST".

QUOTE:   "After taking a hit to the head on Saturday, CanucksArmy has learned that Lekkerimäki has entered concussion protocol with his Allsvenskan team Djurgården and will miss games over the foreseeable future,"

Lol not dramatic sky is falling bulls*** at all. 

59 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I did but thanks for the reminder.  (Keep reading further down the post list)    Wish him good fortune and nothing but the very best but this news (that is NOT my creation) although very unfortunate and negative in nature, is not "sh1^%ing" on someone - it's called reality - something "Some" Canucks fans hate to face and admit to.   I like you, probably wish everything was Rainbows & Lollipops in Canucks Land - but it just isn't!

Cheers and don't forget to light an extra candle when you go to church on Sunday for a speedy recovery for the poor kid!

You're a clown lol

• Cheers 1