The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] November 29 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Washington Capitals - 7:00pm PT/10:00pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

That a great, but has nothing to do with the fact that if we win tonight, we will have 50% of the points available to us, .500.

Nobody is equating .500 to getting a playoff spot.

Depends how young you are; or how old I am I guess.

It used to be equated with the ability to make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

The point is that the adage of playing 500 hockey is that is roughly where the cutoff is for the playyoffs.

i.e. Half the teams were eliminated at the .500 mark, more or less.

Since the loser point has been added, it takes more points to reach the 50% elimination point.

i.e. 50% used to be 82 points.

50% elimination now is 92 points.

You’re overthinking it.

Making the playoffs has nothing to do with it. .500 hockey is just .500 hockey.

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Why do ppl call it the "loser point"? Do you want to go back to tie games or do you want shootout wins to count as a regulation win ?

I didn't name the Marchanding thing?  Don't blame me.

It was done for the people who run the gambling; they made an offer that couldn't etc.

3 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Because back in the day, you didn't get a point for making it to OT. You only got a point if the game ended in a tie, if the game didn't then one team got 2 points while the other team got 0. Thus, the extra point being known as the loser point.

I get it. But ppl who use the term usually have a grudge about it. They either want to go back to ties or have shootout wins get 2 points. Which is dumb. Splitting the difference is perfect.

How long does it take to build chemistry with new teammates?

Hanson on 650 right now; “it takes time”, “pre-season is not enough”, “it takes 20 games, half a season or longer”

Big reason why this team was in such disarray from the start of the season. I’ve been saying this for a while now. You don’t add this many players and expect them to automatically be in synch. 

• Upvote 3
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Definitely one of the worst trades new management has made.

Yeah but with the additions of Kuzmenko, Bear, Aman, Joshua, Mikheyev, Lazar I'll take that ratio thus far. The trade so far looks like a dud for sure but their other additions are starting to pay dividends. 

Let's not be quick to forget they also traded Hamonic for a 3rd and most were ecstatic lol the Dermott trade is TBD - sample size too small.

Edited by Harold Drunken

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You’re overthinking it.

Making the playoffs has nothing to do with it. .500 hockey is just .500 hockey.

I think I have had too much too think.

(Wadda you think @Alflives?)

All I really know is that Canuck Fans LOVE this team when they work their butts off.

And Kevin Bieksa underlined that that means in practice and in the gym and in everything you do.

I swear, this is a Beauty Team and we are Going Places!

GO CANUCKS GO!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I get it. But ppl who use the term usually have a grudge about it. They either want to go back to ties or have shootout wins get 2 points. Which is dumb. Splitting the difference is perfect.

Honestly, the way the current system is, is pretty stupid. Having different games worth a different amount of points doesn't make sense. Every game should be worth the same amount. So with the "loser point", or the get to OT point if you prefer to call it that, every game should be a total of 3 points. 3 for an Reg/OT Win, 2 for a SO win and 1 for the SO loser. No points if you lose in OT.

At least, that is my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think I have had too much too think.

(Wadda you think @Alflives?)

All I really know is that Canuck Fans LOVE this team when they work their butts off.

And Kevin Bieksa underlined that that means in practice and in the gym and in everything you do.

I swear, this is a Beauty Team and we are Going Places!

GO CANUCKS GO!

I think a good point to make here as well is there a lot of new faces, some of whom have missed time and missed training camp.....that's a pretty big deal in terms of how you start out of the gates. I still think we have many defensive habits to clean up, but if we can keep the pucks out of our own net more often r our record should only improve. 

My fear is this team squeaking into the playoffs in a low seed or wildcard spot doesn't really do anything for us...I still don't think this team has the back end or grit to make the long run but if they keep playing this way they are getting there. What we don't want to do is be stuck on the "mushy middle" like we have the last decade....

Edited by Harold Drunken

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Honestly, the way the current system is, is pretty stupid. Having different games worth a different amount of points doesn't make sense. Every game should be worth the same amount. So with the "loser point", or the get to OT point if you prefer to call it that, every game should be a total of 3 points. 3 for an Reg/OT Win, 2 for a SO win and 1 for the SO loser. No points if you lose in OT.

At least, that is my opinion.

What might should be is not what it is though.

As a dinosaur, I miss the tie; but that doesn't work for Vegas et al, so we have this hogwashed Marchand of a point awarded to the loser.

And it messes up the old math and the historical comparables.

I'm getting dizzy.  DROP THE PUCK DROOGS  -  LET'S DO THIS!!

42 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

What might should be is not what it is though.

As a dinosaur, I miss the tie; but that doesn't work for Vegas et al, so we have this hogwashed Marchand of a point awarded to the loser.

And it messes up the old math and the historical comparables.

I'm getting dizzy.  DROP THE PUCK DROOGS  -  LET'S DO THIS!!

I wish i had seen a tie live. I almost did. My first game in montreal was one of the most boring games ever. The crowd went wild any time jose theodore moved, they cheered for pointless shots with the fervour of a deranged mongoose and the game went on and on. I gave up in the 3rd, found a bar and drank a beer when i saw the 0-0 was broken in overtime. The bar cheered in the same way and I left, back to my hotel. Thankfully i enjoyed old quebec city, even leaving a puck there with a curse that the avs would not win the cup due to leaving such a beautiful city. I did rescind it last year i must confess when i heard they made the finals and i thought of an old avs fan coworker who had suffered for a while.

I feel like that needs to be read in grandpa simpson's voice.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200402280MTL.html

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
gp
  • There it is 1