The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Philippe Myers

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

2.7 million while running with a 22 man roster... no extra forward only 1 extra dman.

That not including the 4 million for poolman and dermott that are expected back at some point. Waive stillman (saving 0.225) and add Myers (adding 2.55)you are 5 million over when they come back.

Even if that were actual capspace you would have to be crazy to waste 2.55 mil of it it on a 10 minute a night 6/7 dman. We just threw away a 2nd round pick to get rid of an cap dump that nobody wanted... now you want another?

Checks a lot of boxes, none good though. 

Not that I would pick Myers up, but wouldn't waiving Stillman would save 1.125m? His cap hit would become 225k.

If they had lots of space I'd be tempted, he'd be overpaid for now but if he worked out he'd be on Stillman money next season. Currently have a surplus of bottom end D-men so need to shed some first if possible.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, coryberg said:

2.7 million while running with a 22 man roster... no extra forward only 1 extra dman.

That not including the 4 million for poolman and dermott that are expected back at some point. Waive stillman (saving 0.225) and add Myers (adding 2.55)you are 5 million over when they come back.

Even if that were actual capspace you would have to be crazy to waste 2.55 mil of it it on a 10 minute a night 6/7 dman. We just threw away a 2nd round pick to get rid of an cap dump that nobody wanted... now you want another?

Checks a lot of boxes, none good though. 

Using cap problems as an excuse to not claim him is a weak argument. We have a need for RD and Myers has been a top 4 Dman in the past. It is quite easy to navigate the cap in this situation. I think the potential upside of P Myers is worth making the claim and working through the minor cap issues. It is a low risk move. TBL are only waiving him because they will need the cap space to bring Cirelli back onto their roster.

So you are aware, if we waived Stillman we would save $1.125m in cap space, not 0.225m as you say. Also Pearson is out 4-6 weeks so can retroactively be placed on LTIR allowing us to ice a full 23-man roster if we wish to at this point. We just haven't needed to, so he's been on IR instead.

Once healthy I would personally waive Pearson and hope someone picks him up, if they don't he can stay in the AHL (either way we would still be cap compliant). Pearson has underperformed and is not required even on our 4th line. I wouldn't expect Poolman back ever, but if comes back healthy, then waive him too. If that all happens and even if no one else goes on LTIR (i.e. worst case cap situation), then this becomes the roster this season and it is still cap compliant: 

image.thumb.png.792a373377d9ea6193505843ad955d66.png

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Not that I would pick Myers up, but wouldn't waiving Stillman would save 1.125m? His cap hit would become 225k.

If they had lots of space I'd be tempted, he'd be overpaid for now but if he worked out he'd be on Stillman money next season. Currently have a surplus of bottom end D-men so need to shed some first if possible.

Yes you're right. I just posted the same comment re the cap savings from waiving Stillman.

And I am also thinking a claim for P Myers is much more about next season, when hopefully we have moved T Myers. Regarding this season...no one player should be expected to come in and turn this season around and this is not some hail mary move to do that.

But if we can move T Myers and his cap hit in the off season, then P Myers fits a need for next season and at worst is a decent #6 Dman at only $1.4m cap hit, and he has potential to work back into being a top 4 Dman. He has actually played pretty decently in TBay, albeit playing an average of 11.5 mins per game (but sometimes used for up to 16 mins in TBL this season).

There is definitely potential there with P Myers. Look at someone like Schenn. He was waived and he cleared 5 times in 4 seasons. He has blossomed late as a Dman and is now considered a valuable player.

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes meant to say cap hit and missed the 1.125 saving. Here it is corrected...

Waive stillman (0.225 cap hit) and add Myers (adding 2.55)you are 3 million over when they come back.

3 million is still a huge problem. That would mean waiving 3 players and running with 12 forwards 7 dmen and 2 goalies.

Oh and guess who would be one of the dmen sent down to the AHL to rot with stillman.... P Myers! But don't worry, he would surely clear.

Edited by coryberg

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

TBL are only waiving him because they will need the cap space to bring Cirelli back onto their roster.

Using a maxed out (actually over) cap is not a weak argument. It's common sense. 

It is quite easy to navigate the cap in this situation. I think the potential upside of P Myers is worth making the claim and working through the minor cap issues.

31 gms disagree with you as per his clearing waivers twice already... and if you think we only have minor cap issues I don't know what to tell you. 

TBL are only waiving him because they will need the cap space to bring Cirelli back onto their roster.

TBL are waiving him AGAIN because they are praying wsomebody takes him and his cap hit away for nothing. They clearly don't trust him and hardly play him. He isn't worth his cap hit, how are you so blind to this?

So you are aware, if we waived Stillman we would save $1.125m in cap space, not 0.225m as you say. Also Pearson is out 4-6 weeks so can retroactively be placed on LTIR allowing us to ice a full 23-man roster if we wish to at this point. We just haven't needed to, so he's been on IR instead.

Once healthy I would personally waive Pearson and hope someone picks him up, if they don't he can stay in the AHL (either way we would still be cap compliant)

So we are -1.3 mil using LTIR on dermott and poolman. Add .225 for stillman (take away the 1.125m for stillman) and 2.55 for PMyers. That's 3 million over when they come back. Still running with only 12 forwards and 7 dmen for now. When they came back you would have to waive 3 players to be cap compliant. That's a 21 man roster... ouch!

Not as simple as you think.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Using cap problems as an excuse to not claim him is a weak argument. We have a need for RD

Cap problems as an excuse are a realistic argument.

This team needs RHD but they need a top pairing or at least top 4 RHD.

Using cap on another 6-7 guy won't help.

Canucks have routinely dressed 4 RHD in the lineup so they have plenty of these guys. 

Having cap available if there is a move to be made is better right now than nickel and diming on waiver fodder types.

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes you're right. I just posted the same comment re the cap savings from waiving Stillman.

And I am also thinking a claim for P Myers is much more about next season, when hopefully we have moved T Myers. Regarding this season...no one player should be expected to come in and turn this season around and this is not some hail mary move to do that.

But if we can move T Myers and his cap hit in the off season, then P Myers fits a need for next season and at worst is a decent #6 Dman at only $1.4m cap hit, and he has potential to work back into being a top 4 Dman. He has actually played pretty decently in TBay, albeit playing an average of 11.5 mins per game (but sometimes used for up to 16 mins in TBL this season).

There is definitely potential there with P Myers. Look at someone like Schenn. He was waived and he cleared 5 times in 4 seasons. He has blossomed late as a Dman and is now considered a valuable player.

I doubt Myers is moved until the 2024 tdl, with an expiring contract

53 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Screenshot_20221203_085825_Chrome.jpg

I'm thinking Arizona or Chicago... with a 2nd attached.

They shouldn't be adding sweeteners to any deal to get rid of anyone in a cap dump.  I'd rather just let contracts expire and move on

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

They shouldn't be adding sweeteners to any deal to get rid of anyone in a cap dump.  I'd rather just let contracts expire and move on

This exactly. Already traded one 2nd in such a move, can’t afford to do it again. Especially with how bare our cupboards are. Look into possible deals for Myers and Pearson in the summer, getting a pick back, if not wait till the td next season. Hopefully the cap goes up a few million in the summer, then be easier to trade Garland and Boeser and get something for them. 

Edited by Boknows08

2 minutes ago, Boknows08 said:

This exactly. Already traded one 2nd in such a move, can’t afford to do it again. Especially with how bare our cupboards are. Look into possible deals for Myers and Pearson in the summer, getting a pick back, if not wait till the td next season. 

They're not contending this year or next anyway and Myers and Pearson aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.  If they can be moved without sweeteners, great.  If not, just let it expire naturally.

Miller and Boeser are the problem contracts, not Myers and Pearson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

So we are -1.3 mil using LTIR on dermott and poolman. Add .225 for stillman (take away the 1.125m for stillman) and 2.55 for PMyers. That's 3 million over when they come back. Still running with only 12 forwards and 7 dmen for now. When they came back you would have to waive 3 players to be cap compliant. That's a 21 man roster... ouch!

Not as simple as you think.

We currently have 23 players on the roster (including Delia's emerg loan cap hit)

If we add P Myers and waive Stillman, we still have 23 players.

There are 2 players on IR and 3 players on LTIR. Ferland won't be coming back. But once Pearson, Studnicka, Dermott and Poolman all return then we will be $3m over.

But we will also have 23 + 4 = 27 players on the roster.

Guess what? We will need to waive 4 players to be compliant. I would waive Poolman, Pearson, Stillman and Delia. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

1 hour ago, Boknows08 said:

This exactly. Already traded one 2nd in such a move, can’t afford to do it again. Especially with how bare our cupboards are. Look into possible deals for Myers and Pearson in the summer, getting a pick back, if not wait till the td next season. Hopefully the cap goes up a few million in the summer, then be easier to trade Garland and Boeser and get something for them. 

I was replying to neutral who suggested p Myers might be claimed by Ottawa. Not suggesting us trading a pick by any means

17 hours ago, coryberg said:

That not including the 4 million for poolman and dermott that are expected back at some point. Waive stillman (*0.225 cap hit*) and add Myers (adding 2.55)you are 3 million over when they come back.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Waive stillman (0.225 cap hit) and add Myers (adding 2.55)you are 3 million over when they come back.

3 million is still a huge problem.

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

So we are -1.3 mil using LTIR on dermott and poolman. Add .225 for stillman (take away the 1.125m for stillman) and 2.55 for PMyers. That's 3 million over when they come back.

45 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

But once Pearson, Studnicka, Dermott and Poolman all return then we will be $3m over.

Well Done Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

Well Done Reaction GIF

Yes as I always maintained, it was easy to be cap compliant.

We would be $3m over the cap with a roster of 27 players.

Waive 4 guys to hit the 23 man limit and we are compliant. Not difficult. Give yourself a clap.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, coryberg said:

Well understanding the salary cap requires a brain.

Edited by BigTramFan

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have no issue waiting Stillman. He's easily our worst defenceman with minutes under his belt.

In which case, taking a gander on P Myers doesn't look so bad at all...