The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Dec. 07, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Well Cam Charron, who is an actual expert, rates OEL as a third-pair quality guy. How much would I pay for a 3rd pair D? Definitely not anywhere near 7.26m.

Look what I found from charron article. a chart that says oel is second best at opponent recovery and 3rd best at pass completion

doesnt look like a defender that is third pairing

any other sources you have?

697CDFC6-2FA0-4BF9-A657-9EE76559491C.thumb.jpeg.e3a5cef13b52ce8766c1aa8dba0cdfd2.jpeg

Just now, dougieL said:

So you're going to disagree with a guy who worked in the NHL last season and who analyzes Canucks games in painstaking detail?

As I said, his ice time has been reduced by quite a bit recently. And that reduction has absolutely been warranted.

This team has scored at a pretty outrageous pace this year and it has very little to do with the abilities of our defensemen (outside of  Quinn Hughes). It is natural that everyone's point totals are helped by that.

He worked on spreadsheets and doesn't understand the sport at all.  Just because Toronto has an unqualified clown hiring these analytics dweebs doesn't mean the rest of us should treat them with any respect when they make assessments they aren't qualified to make.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dougieL said:

That's some expert analysis right there.

I didn’t analyze anything

you told something that wasn’t true and I pointed that out he is still averaging more than 20mins for the entire season despite you calling him third pair

third Pairing gets at most 13-15mins

you still haven’t offered a salary that is acceptable for OEL

5 minutes ago, mordekai said:

Look what I found from charron article. a chart that says oel is second best at opponent recovery and 3rd best at pass completion

doesnt look like a defender that is third pairing

any other sources you have?

697CDFC6-2FA0-4BF9-A657-9EE76559491C.thumb.jpeg.e3a5cef13b52ce8766c1aa8dba0cdfd2.jpeg

Wow so based on this we better lock Burroughs up to 7x8 so he can help Hughes with his pass completion. And while we're at it, lock Bear up long term too :lol:

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hef,  Lucics contract is finished after this season.. The Oilers are retaining 750k of his contract. He’s presently a 5.2 hit…. That goes to Kuz as a bridge if we can extend Kuz before UFA.

Yes, the reason you trade Boeser is to give that money to Kuzmenko and hopefully you can lock him up prior to the end of the season, or even at the deadline.  We need to have a top line in place so that Petey is happy and will stay here.  He is not going to hang around if they play him with a bunch of scrubs.  Kuzy and Petey have great chemistry together and will anchor our top line for years to come.

• There it is 1

Just now, philtbc829 said:

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

another blown lead ....another late game heroics.....and another OT comeback...as entertaining as it is.....you know they can't keep this up and as well be a playoff team...ah well enjoy these moments eh....

Last man standing….  The players on the IR could be a World Cup contender Lol

see what it looks like in Feb.

The Avs alone have :

B954621C-9CF3-415A-BA1E-7A8E5E30CCB9.thumb.jpeg.577a84464e96d70d41ea4f89e1a0cf0e.jpeg

FULL LIST:

https://puckpedia.com/injuries

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dougieL said:

Wow so based on this we better lock Burroughs up to 7x8 so he can help Hughes with his pass completion. And while we're at it, lock Bear up long term too :lol:

You don’t  understand how this chart works?? the higher the blue the worser the defender is. Like Myers and Burroughs 

and bear with eye test and advance stats says he should get a long term contract from the nucks.

I guess you are not going to throw out the salary oel should be paid

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, mordekai said:

I didn’t analyze anything

you told something that wasn’t true and I pointed that out he is still averaging more than 20mins for the entire season despite you calling him third pair

third Pairing gets at most 13-15mins

you still haven’t offered a salary that is acceptable for OEL

I already told you - I'd pay him as a third pairing guy.

I'm not sure how to explain this to you. I said he's getting his ice time limited to under 20 a game. He was overplayed to start the season, then had his ice time cut back. That's how he ends up averaging 20mins. It doesn't mean the coach currently thinks he capable of playing 20mins a night. If the coach did think he was capable, he'd be playing him 20mins a night, which he is currently not doing.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t even have to be a contender.

Trade him to Buffalo for Okposo who’s contract expires at the end of the season.

Trade him to Detroit for Suter and Sundqvist.

Theres lots of options and I’m sure teams will take a chance on a guy that could thrive with a change of scenery. No guarantees your 6.5 mil will go farther in free agency.

Detroit would be a great trade partner for Boeser.  I'd do Boeser and Dries for Rasmussen and Suter...

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Brett Burns ..  would have looked great on this team.

5.2 cap hit (2.8 retained) for 2 more seasons.

hmmmm 

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's not a shut-down guy, but Nurse is still far worse and has massive character issues, and Rielly is so bad he doesn't even belong in the NHL.  When you have trash like that setting the market, I can live with OEL.

Don’t know why you say that about Nurse, he is a big plus +/- player, is pretty physical, and only costs 5.6 mil per - nothing like OEL’s 8.2 mil per. O’Reilly had 68 points last year and was a plus player, OEL was not that productive even in his prime, and as you say, neither of them are shutdown guys. 

7 minutes ago, mordekai said:

You don’t  understand how this chart works?? the higher the blue the worser the defender is. Like Myers and Burroughs 

and bear with eye test and advance stats says he should get a long term contract from the nucks.

I guess you are not going to throw out the salary oel should be paid

Uh what? Based on this chart, Burroughs has approximately the same opponent recovery rate as Hughes and much better pass completion. And Bear outperforms Hughes by a mile on both metrics. So if you're just going by this chart, you'd rather have Burroughs and Bear over Hughes?

And comparing OELs metrics in general (let alone these particular two) to that of Canucks dmen is not how you properly assess his value :lol: