The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Bo goes then get rid of Rutherford!

Rate this topic

Steve The Poolman

Let's look at the return first, no?  Is Bo going to be a 60 goal scorer every year going forward?  Some rare guys like rat barf Marchand have these mid-career awakenings but there are more situations probably where one would wish they had traded Jonathan Cheechoo during or after his 50 goal year.  Gary Leeman was traded shortly after his one 50 goal season...for Doug Gilmour, already a 100 point player and still ascending for years to come.

Dennis Maruk was a very good player but imagine trading him during or right after his 136 point season in 1982.

Odds are this is not representative of Bo going forward, even moreso than 99 point JT Miller.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Any of our players should be available for the right return at the moment.

Yup.  If the team with the Bedard puck offered us that pick for Petey (which they won’t, of course) then I’d certainly hope our owner would allow JR to make that deal.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve The Poolman said:

What is going on in this organization? Trade Horvat? to get what? A centerman that can score? That can be effective in the face off circle?

Give me a break! He's the best player we have. Don't be stupid Jim! Let's get rid of Boeser or Demko. They have both peaked and are both simply deadwood that is bringing this team down. Also trade Meyers and get some effective defensemen. I would invest in some truckloads of smelly salts because these guys don't seem to give a f*ck about being ready for games and just playing the "get the puck to the center zone" game. Even the players that are changing look like they're coasting to the bench. Bruce start benching players that make idiot mistakes. Let them re-evaluate in the pressbox.

Jim and Bruce need to be more aggressive with the players. DON'T PLAY PLAYERS THAT CAN'T CUT IT! Bring up some younger players to try and invigerate some energy. I would sit Boeser, Myers, and any other ineffective players that are lazy or make stupid passes or take ridiculous penalties!

I don't think anyone wants to see Bo traded as they like Bo on this team. He adds lots of value in terms of FO % and points on the PP.  

But here's the argument why one would want to trade Bo.  Do you want to go through a cycle where the peak is making the playoffs or do you want to enter a new cycle where you could peak as a cup contender?  If you keep Bo and don't trade him for peak value, you're saying that we have a window here where we need to win and we can do so with a few moves here and there.  Unfortunately we're not close.  Nowhere close.  Great teams have a solid D.  We're not getting a solid D from other teams apparently.  We also have a bunch of good pieces with different ages and our best players are already hitting near peak salaries. So my (and many others') belief is that a rebuild is necessary.  Selling high on some players is a real necessity unfortunately.  Add that to high draft picks from sucking badly for a few years and you start putting together a core that's around the same age without any key gaps in positions.......this latter bit is the key to what's wrong with this current construct of the team.  A strong D is hard to build.  Getting great forwards is easier.

Selling Bo would mark the start of a rebuild in my eyes......and I'm all for it.  This is why I don't worry about OEL.....his salary will expire when the new team starts getting better and we will want to sign good free agents.  The only move that doesn't support this approach is Miller's contract, which is why many didn't want him re-signed.

So yes, trading your best player at his peak does suck.....but we should want to do it.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

I don't think anyone wants to see Bo traded for the sake of liking Bo on this team. He adds lots of value in terms of FO % and points on the PP.  

But here's the argument why one would want to trade Bo.  Do you want to go through a cycle where the peak is making the playoffs or do you want to enter a new cycle where you could peak as a cup contender?  If you keep Bo and don't trade him for peak value, you're saying that we have a window here where we need to win and we can do so with a few moves here and there.  Unfortunately we're not close.  Nowhere close.  Great teams have a solid D.  We're not getting a solid D from other teams apparently.  We also have a bunch of good pieces with different ages and our best players are already hitting near peak salaries. So my (and many others') belief is that a rebuild is necessary.  Selling high on some players is a real necessity unfortunately.  Add that to high draft picks from sucking badly for a few years and you start putting together a core that's around the same age without any key gaps in positions.......this latter bit is the key to what's wrong with this current construct of the team.  A strong D is hard to build.  Getting great forwards is easier.

Selling Bo would mark the start of a rebuild in my eyes......and I'm all for it.  This is why I don't worry about OEL.....his salary will expire when the new team starts getting better and we will want to sign good free agents.  The only move that doesn't support this approach is Miller's contract, which is why many didn't want him re-signed.

So yes, trading your best player at his peak does suck.....but we should want to do it.

Keenan traded Linden.  And the futures he got ended up Turing into the leaders of the best team we ever had.  Sadly, our current owner will not allow trades (of key core players, like Bo) for futures.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve The Poolman said:

I think we need to bring back performance bonuses in lieu of higher salaries. If all managements of all the teams go to this method then it could only improve the accountability of the players in this league. There are floaters that sign the big contracts and then coast or check out for a couple of games. Eight, 10, or 12 million dollar contacts should only be acheived with performance bonuses then we can watch how many players take nights off. Just a hought...

Never make it past the NHLPA.  Was suggested around '82 or 83, but never even made it onto the discussion points

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

News today is the latest offer was 7 x 7 for a total contract of 49 mil.  

8 x 7 years works for me and considering the going rate it's still a deal.

Gotta be able to find at least a couple million somewhere.

Edited by rawkdrummer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

OP has 7 posts since 2003 and 6 of them are in this thread.

::D

If the admins see who was recently suspended or banned… I think they have their guy :)

Not many posters were here before I was… but he has me by five months.  I have also posted more than 7 times I think.