The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's the problem though. We're not getting anything back from those players except equal cap unless we start attaching picks or prospects.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this notion.

There are teams in the league who cannot draw flies as UFA's. In the offseason if they have a chance to get a guy like Boeser or Garland without giving up big assets, they will jump all over it.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My concern is the team does lousy. (Well mostly) When it plays the top tier teams like Carolina, Tampa, etc.

Even if the team makes the playoffs. It will probably get steamrollered.

Long term, and even short term, the team is handcuffed.

I don't know how the team is going to improve?

Colorado and Vegas were top teams when we beat them. Canucks have since improved their defensive play and are finally getting good goaltending. Meanwhile they are maintaining their juggernaut offence. There is no reason to think they will be “lousy”.  At the end of the day, we will see.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah this would be my plan too. Just like JR said in the beginning though. A middling team shouldn't be maxed out on the cap. That's why I wouldn't have signed Miller. This team needs cap space so it can search for a RD and then act swiftly when the opportunity presents. Should be the first priority.

This EA Sports approach of just swapping Myers and Garland/Boeser for Hedman or even Schnieder is so much harder in reality. Even when it comes to Myers cap space in a few years there actually needs to be a RD available at the exact same time or we end up with a 2-3 yr mediocre replacement for more cap space yet again.

These guys seem set on trying to be competitive so I agree our first this year or next year preferably might be the only way to even start talks. Otherwise we're possibly looking at 3 more years until we stabilize our D. By then Petterson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, are up too plus Schenn will have aged out and Miller will be 32/33. Unfortunately we'll probably have to attach what little picks we have left besides that to open up the cap space and we'll be all in with no prospects in the pipe again.

Exactly. PA\JR recommitted to JB’s team by resigning Miller to a retirement contract and Beoser for 3 years based on past play. As such, in my mind, we are tied to this group for the next 3-4 years. Yes, we can blow things up, but we will not get anything back (term is the enemy), and just piss off the “cornerstones”. Why would Petterson and Demko want to resign to a rebuild in tank mode?

So, as you said, we need to act swiftly to fix the D and team defense. It isn’t easy…..but PA is paid handsomely to get things done.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I disagree wholeheartedly with this notion.

There are teams in the league who cannot draw flies as UFA's. In the offseason if they have a chance to get a guy like Boeser or Garland without giving up big assets, they will jump all over it.

Why would said team want a mediocre one trick pony Beoser for 2 years at 6.65m? Why would teams line up for Garland, yet we want to jettison him for nothing? 

players will go where the $$ in the UFA period. Only exception; ones that resign prior to being UFA

40 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

What we saw yesterday was vintage QH when he scored that goal. He was skating circles around the entire Sharks team a La Makar, who also is not a very big guy. QH was faster than anyone in that play and was probably the smallest guy on the ice at the time.   

You never trade a guy like that when we have no one else as talented on the team or even remotely related in our prospect pool. 

Exactly; you compliment him with a partner that allows him to play that way all the time. Not saying Bear is the long term answer, but we are seeing that have a good fast skating dman with hands partner does for Hughes game. Hughes has done a 180 since playing with Bear in my eyes.

I love Schenn, but he is not a top pair dman; just doesn’t have the wheels nor hands. Having said that; couldn’t imagine a 5th guy I’d want more on the nux.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

What we saw yesterday was vintage QH when he scored that goal. He was skating circles around the entire Sharks team a La Makar, who also is not a very big guy. QH was faster than anyone in that play and was probably the smallest guy on the ice at the time.   

You never trade a guy like that when we have no one else as talented on the team or even remotely related in our prospect pool. 

Wasn't it some guy at the All-Star game named Gretzky who said something like, "and he's a defenseman?" Haha! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Get that out of your head. We are NOT trading our best defenceman when we are already weak in that position. 

QH is the second most important player on this team. 

Bo is a forward. We have a plethora of forwards who generate offence.  Bo is NOT more important than QH.

He probably didnt watch the game last night when Quinn dangled through the entire sharks team and scored and a shark team who beat the Minnie team in their last game 

• Upvote 1

What I’d do ASAP if I were PA:

- Trade Beoser for whatever you can get; the 6.65m is the key

- Resign Bo before TDL. Like it or not PA/JR have committed to this core 

- Trade for Severson ASAP…a 2nd and a prospect work. If he isnt a long term fit, flip him at TDL for equal compensation.

- Keep the for sale sign on Garland, Pearson, and Myers…see what offers are out there 

- Bring Podz back up and play him on 2/3 line, not 4th. Reunite Podz-Miller-Garland and ride it out.

Edited by BC_Hawk

3 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Good Summary…couple comments:

2) Horvats line does look great, though I hope Pearson comes back soon so that can free up Ilya to jump on Petterson’s line

3) I’m not sold on Pederson either. I watched him closely last night and plays often died on his stick. Same as when they were first signed, I think a Ilya-Petterson-Kuz line is absolutely perfect; speed, size, and tons of skill.

4) I love what Lazar brings, but he doesn’t generate any offense based on skill (just effort). I think it is time to bring Podz back up to see how he looks. The Podz-Miller-Garland line was dynamite late last year. That would create a ton of great 4th line options too.

5) The d has looked better the last bit; few notes:

- maybe not for forever, but I like that Hughes-Bear pairing. Bear moves the puck well, and Highes seems to be flying since they got paired. Maybe he is over his injury? Maybe confidence? Maybe Bear? Who knows, but keep it up.

- OEL-Myers are looking good again now. I’d still keep the for sale sign up on him, but wouldn’t be too mad to keep Myers into the off-season

- Now this is where Schenn should be; best 5th Dman around. Look what he did last night; made Stillman look good. Hopefully we can see a 3rd pair of Dermott-Schenn soon. Send Stillman to Abby please.

Great comments. Agree completely. Will be interesting to what happens when Pearson comes back. I agree about Hughes-Bear. As Boudreau implied in his comments last night, if OEL-Myers can handle the other team's top line that allows Bear and Hughes to play together and take advantage of their puck-moving and other offensive abilities.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Great comments. Agree completely. Will be interesting to what happens when Pearson comes back. I agree about Hughes-Bear. As Boudreau implied in his comments last night, if OEL-Myers can handle the other team's top line that allows Bear and Hughes to play together and take advantage of their puck-moving and other offensive abilities.

Exactly…as per BBs comments we need that shutdown pair. Unfortunately, that isn’t really Myers game; we ask him to play that but he struggles.

That is why I trade for Severson, and give him a tryout to see if he fits LT before TDL.

If Severson fits with OEL as shutdown pair:

-trade Schenn at TDL 

-resign Severson

-resign Schenn in offseason

-trade Myers in offseason

hughes-Bear

OEL-Severson

Burroughs/Dermott/Stillman-Schenn

if Severson doesn’t fit with OEL:
- trade him to similar compensation at TDL

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Love Bo but he’s not a good defensive player.  Miller, at centre, is better defensively than Bo.  But neither is a matchup guy.  

you are partially right; Bo, while better defensively than Miller, is not Selke calibre at all.

28 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Why would said team want a mediocre one trick pony Beoser for 2 years at 6.65m? Why would teams line up for Garland, yet we want to jettison him for nothing? 

players will go where the $$ in the UFA period. Only exception; ones that resign prior to being UFA

Because there are teams that cannot land players like Boeser/Garland without overpaying grossly in UFA.  Getting guys like them with term at market value without giving up assets is huge.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Get that out of your head. We are NOT trading our best defenceman when we are already weak in that position. 

QH is the second most important player on this team. 

Bo is a forward. We have a plethora of forwards who generate offence.  Bo is NOT more important than QH.

I would say Bo is more important, but trading Hughes is moronic. 

• Upvote 1