The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

The JTM signing definitely makes us worse. Much worse. That contract isn't going to age well. He's already playing poorly, and establishing bad habits at 30 years old. At this age, the player is what they are. People thinking that JT's going to change his habits are in for a rude awakening. 

Honestly, the longer they hold onto JT, the more he becomes untradeable. 

They need to get rid of him ASAP before his new deal kicks in, or else they'll be stuck with him for the entirety of that contract. 

I can see another 8 years of JR and PA, like we did with Benning and Weisbrod. 

Futility is in the books with incompetent ownership and management. 

Whatever job they were given, they have not gotten the job done. Benning really f**ked us over. JR and PA haven't done what they're supposed to. Saying that they tried to improve the defense is an excuse. Everyone else "tried" as well. Kent Hughes in Montréal turned that roster over. They're not a good team this season, but I'd argue that they have more promise and hope than we do here in Canuck nation. 

Am I wrong? 

Habs suck pucks.  Other than Suzuki, their young players are craperolla.  Bustaroo in Slackosky.  Smurf in CC.  Dach is a waste of space.  Building a mess is what Hughes is doing.  Won’t get Fox and Panarin gifts to make up for his many mistakes.  

8 hours ago, Bell said:

If Alvin and the Chipmunks were really serious about acquiring him it should have been at last year's trade deadline.

They did nothing at the trade deadline. Absolutely nothing. Wasn't a good look for new management at all.

• There it is 1

With the Avs getting spanked by TO the other day and currently getting beaten by Vegas as we speak, you got to think they're interested in doing something with that roster?  They're currently out of the PO picture.  We need one legit contender somewhere to make a serious move to get this ball rolling.....get the other GM's off their butts and moving some assets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

With the Avs getting spanked by TO the other day and currently getting beaten by Vegas as we speak, you got to think they're interested in doing something with that roster?  They're currently out of the PO picture.  We need one legit contender somewhere to make a serious move to get this ball rolling.....get the other GM's off their butts and moving some assets. 

I still think miller to col makes sense for them.

I could see our owner allowing a Bo trade if it returned a local boy, like Byram.  

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

The JTM signing definitely makes us worse. Much worse. That contract isn't going to age well. He's already playing poorly, and establishing bad habits at 30 years old. At this age, the player is what they are. People thinking that JT's going to change his habits are in for a rude awakening. 

Honestly, the longer they hold onto JT, the more he becomes untradeable. 

They need to get rid of him ASAP before his new deal kicks in, or else they'll be stuck with him for the entirety of that contract. 

I can see another 8 years of JR and PA, like we did with Benning and Weisbrod. 

Futility is in the books with incompetent ownership and management. 

Whatever job they were given, they have not gotten the job done. Benning really f**ked us over. JR and PA haven't done what they're supposed to. Saying that they tried to improve the defense is an excuse. Everyone else "tried" as well. Kent Hughes in Montréal turned that roster over. They're not a good team this season, but I'd argue that they have more promise and hope than we do here in Canuck nation. 

Am I wrong? 

Benning didn't help things, but who really f**ked us over was Gillis, with his atrocious drafting and development. Throughout the 5 or 6 years that he was here, he couldn't draft a single impact player with ANY of his picks (especially the 2nd rounders) not named Horvat and Hodgson, both of whom were high draft picks. Hutton was a surprise addition, but Connauton was traded away before he could make an impact.

The decent prospects should've been on the main team and contributing, which probably would've allowed us to avoid unnecessary UFA signings, trades. At the same time, it would've given us flexibility to trade redundant players for additional picks.

What we ended up doing towards the end of Gillis' era was play vets over young players. People really underestimate just how much of a price we paid for playoff runs. There is this prospect farm void that we still haven't recovered from.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think both Col and NYR made a big mistake not going hard after Miller.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I disagree. The mistake lies with new management not selling off Miller at an appropriate price. We would've had cap space that we could add players if needed, by taking advantage of teams that didn't have cap.

Instead, we handcuffed ourselves and we're unable to improve. We have Miller who has depreciated in value now from what he could've fetched before, thus making us less likely to unload him.

Not letting Miller go was 100 percent a mistake on this management. Make no mistake on that.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Benning didn't help things, but who really f**ked us over was Gillis, with his atrocious drafting and development. Throughout the 5 or 6 years that he was here, he couldn't draft a single impact player with ANY of his picks (especially the 2nd rounders) not named Horvat and Hodgson, both of whom were high draft picks. Hutton was a surprise addition, but Connauton was traded away before he could make an impact.

These players should've been on the main team and contributing, which probably would've allowed us to avoid unnecessary UFA signings, trades. At the same time, it would've given us flexibility to trade redundant players for additional picks.

What we ended up doing towards the end of Gillis' era was play vets over young players. People really underestimate just how much of a price we paid for playoff runs.

We like to blame the GMs but who is really setting the direction, and (in doing so) handcuffing management to make any deals that actually help for the future?  Other than the Schneider trade, which Gillis turned into Bo, and the Kessler trade, which Benning did fine with (but wasn’t really intended to be a futures deal) when has our owner allowed trades that were to improve us three to five years down the road?  

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I disagree. The mistake lies with new management not selling off Miller at an appropriate price. We would've had cap space that we could add players if needed, by taking advantage of teams that didn't have cap.

Instead, we handcuffed ourselves and we're unable to improve. We have Miller who has depreciated in value now from what he could've fetched before, thus making us less likely to unload him.

Not letting Miller go was 100 percent a mistake on this management. Make no mistake on that.

Mistake is with our owner.  He sets the direction.  And only Gillis was able to be successful inside the model.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We like to blame the GMs but who is really setting the direction, and (in doing so) handcuffing management to make any deals that actually help for the future?  Other than the Schneider trade, which Gillis turned into Bo, and the Kessler trade, which Benning did fine with (but wasn’t really intended to be a futures deal) when has our owner allowed trades that were to improve us three to five years down the road?  

This may be true, but the drafting and development part was not the owner's fault. That's on Gillis for making horrible picks like Alexandre Mallet. Awful, awful pick.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I've been one of the most vocal about that, but it hurt Col and NYR too.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

At this stage of their respective careers Lafreniere is tracking almost exactly the same as Yakupov was but in a better team

What? He’s 21, and he’s progressed each season so far, and also elevated his game in the playoffs last year and showed he can be a physical specimen when games get rough…. I’m going to respectfully disagree on that take, as yakupov regressed every season for his first 5 seasons as well 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tampa Bay notwithstanding, you've got to think both owner and management teams around the league must be aware that the proverbial 'windows' for legit contenders have never been as small as they are these days with the cap and what it does to teams trying to contend.  As such, any team with a reasonable chance would be foolish not to make a legit attempt at bolstering their line-ups.  I was also very surprised that NYR didn't do more than what they did.  As for Col, it wouldn't take much for them to move out the necessary cap to acquire JTM -  Compher (expiring contract) and Byram could easily fit under their cap. 

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Wonder if a Schenn for Johnson swap gives them an upgrade and evens up the cap of a potential deal.

Miller, Schenn, Rathbone for Byram and Johnson.

I think byram is off the table after last playoffs, sadly.  They'd also have to send cap back, so it'd probably be Girard+

Tampa Bay notwithstanding, you've got to think both owner and management teams around the league must be aware that the proverbial 'windows' for legit contenders have never been as small as they are these days with the cap and what it does to teams trying to contend.  As such, any team with a reasonable chance would be foolish not to make a legit attempt at bolstering their line-ups.  I was also very surprised that NYR didn't do more than what they did.  As for Col, it wouldn't take much for them to move out the necessary cap to acquire JTM -  Compher (expiring contract) and Byram could easily fit under their cap. 

Canucks would have to add to that I think.  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I could see our owner allowing a Bo trade if it returned a local boy, like Byram.  

Like I said to stawn, if Col wants a chance at another long playoff run, they're going to have to do something with that roster.  Losing Kadrina really left a hole on that forward group. 

• There it is 1