The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. New York Islanders | Jan. 3rd, 2023 | SNP, 7:00PM PT | New Years Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

21 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Luitenant chon reporting for duty. On team tank.the way things are becoming hopeless  I’ve been cheering for success this whole time and never thought I’d say it but I’ve been losing at this hope for winning so the reverse logic thing just might work ,maybe we can win at losing A363CEBA-BACA-401F-915E-45AA73DC2BE7.thumb.jpeg.db28609bc2233ab22907eefce2ba0397.jpeg

Good work soldier! The tank for Bedard unit needs men like you. Despite this being our darkest hour we shall never surrender. Victory will be ours! Now shine your boots and cut that bloody hair!

Winston Churchill GIF

• Haha 2

The caps had a poor start to the season in 2003-04 but basically tanked hard to get ovechkin by trading away all of their good players.

Won 7 games from their last 33 after moving Jagr. A decent blueprint for the canucks.

They turned Lang, Gonchar, Jagr and Bondra into Ovechkin, Green and Backstrom within 3 drafts, took them until 2007-08 to get going (though 04-05 was lockout).

Top players

image.png.7f35ce613aa5b0195d417966fc535087.png

image.thumb.png.7c87f05b26a73a11be982a0c5650f1aa.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003–04_Washington_Capitals_season.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
o
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

We won’t get him.  gotta claw our way into the playoff picture or trade EVERYONE 

we could claw our way to having 5 out of the top 6 picks and STILL not get Berard

20 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I would think no player on the ice would ever purposely lose.

So a tank is really just a front of house purposely handcuffing the team? yeah?

Basically, the players aren't going to stop trying (ideally), but a management group can make moves to make the roster less competitive if they see what they believe to be the writing on the wall 

Habs sold Kulak, Lehkonen, Chiarot, and Toffoli for example while taking on a cap dump in Monahan for a 1st 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

we could claw our way to having 5 out of the top 6 picks and STILL not get Berard

It's true, Bedard is a pipe dream even if we were to finish last 

But this year's top 5 is pretty stellar, I reckon we could get a Pettersson caliber player and that's no small thing 

There's been a lot of talk about how good this draft is supposed to be, guess we'll see

Edited by Coconuts
  • Huggy Bear 1

29 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For sure, if we move out guys like Horvat, Miller, Myers, ect and bring in futures, prospects, and young NHL players that'd be awesome. I'd sit and watch the growing pains, because of course there'd be some, but at least we'd be building towards something. I don't believe this veteran part of this current core is going to accomplish anything in Vancouver but that doesn't mean I don't believe we couldn't build a good team around some of the younger pieces we've already got. This isn't to say I think said vets are awful, I argued that we could probably be competitive this season if we flipped Miller, addressed our D, signed Horvat, and ran with him and Pettersson as our 1-2 punch. In retrospect I still think we'd be as competitive as we currently are, if not moreso with a better D. 

But hey, things have shifted and I don't think Horvat will extend. I don't hold that against him. Players only get to play for so long, careers can be brief and I wouldn't begrudge him wanting to go somewhere where he could make the playoffs consistently. 

I'd like to see something similar to what we're seeing in Abbotsford in Vancouver, they're a fun team with some young talent playing some exciting hockey. I'd make the trek to Vancouver to see a young team like that, winning team or not. 

I don't think a rebuild would necessarily have to be what Edmonton or Buffalo went through, and really, even if it went that way I've already sat and watched the team flounder the last ten years anyway. 

100% this - I want to watch a team that's building towards something. It feels like the Canucks have been stuck in a rut for a decade, and it's just no fun. Give us some hope! I'd be happy to watch a plucky underdog group for a few years, even if there's more losing than winning at first, because those losses would be lessons learned. It really doesn't feel like this current team has much upside.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Trying to remember.

When did an actual tank happen? 

It was for Mario right?

Hockey minds?....I dont feel like looking it up.

I'm sure they tanked for 2003-2005 as well. Landing Crosby was extremely lucky since it was after the lockout and other teams were given equal odds.

We got lucky that year too, by getting 10th overall pick even though we were one of the teams with the lower odds. But then an extremely unfortunate event took place involving the player that we drafted with the 10th overall.

Avs tanked in 2017. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's true, Bedard is a pipe dream even if we were to finish last 

But this year's top 5 is pretty stellar, I reckon we could get a Pettersson caliber player and that's no small thing 

There's been a lot of talk about how good this draft is supposed to be, guess we'll see

I wouldn't call 25% chance a pipe dream. 

What is a pipe dream is the Canucks finishing last. It won't happen. This team is not at the level of Chicago, who is intentionally tanking who has traded away all their good players that were tradeable.

• Huggy Bear 1

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For sure, if we move out guys like Horvat, Miller, Myers, ect and bring in futures, prospects, and young NHL players that'd be awesome. I'd sit and watch the growing pains, because of course there'd be some, but at least we'd be building towards something. I don't believe this veteran part of this current core is going to accomplish anything in Vancouver but that doesn't mean I don't believe we couldn't build a good team around some of the younger pieces we've already got. This isn't to say I think said vets are awful, I argued that we could probably be competitive this season if we flipped Miller, addressed our D, signed Horvat, and ran with him and Pettersson as our 1-2 punch. In retrospect I still think we'd be as competitive as we currently are, if not moreso with a better D. 

But hey, things have shifted and I don't think Horvat will extend. I don't hold that against him. Players only get to play for so long, careers can be brief and I wouldn't begrudge him wanting to go somewhere where he could make the playoffs consistently. 

I'd like to see something similar to what we're seeing in Abbotsford in Vancouver, they're a fun team with some young talent playing some exciting hockey. I'd make the trek to Vancouver to see a young team like that, winning team or not. 

I don't think a rebuild would necessarily have to be what Edmonton or Buffalo went through, and really, even if it went that way I've already sat and watched the team flounder the last ten years anyway. 

Wait a minute Bud! I don't know whether I have another 10 years left. I've already been waiting for + 50 years! I guess I had better start training . 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Seems like dries will center miller:

image.png.7787bd7ea743a4d0539b21e7c7ce0480.png

Ouch. Miller was touted as being part of one of the deepest center groups in the NHL, and now he's on the wing centered by essentially an AHL player. How the mighty have fallen.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Does anyone REALLY still think they have a shot at the playoffs this season?

Yes because i'm mad. Pettersson puts the team on his back, begins to rack up powerplay goals and hits a new level with Horvat and some miller bounceback and somehow our d and goaltending get better. Incredibly unlikely.