The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 5 2022 - Vancouver Canucks vs Colorado Avalanche - 7pm PT/9pm CT/10pm ET - Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

On the pp, sure, but he's been pretty ineffective 5v5.  I just don't see him as an impact player in the NHL.

Further to that, we don't know they'd have picked Guenther and if they didn't make that deal, who even knows where they would have picked.

I have zero issues

There was a clear top nine available that year. Most had Guenther in the top five. Was surprising that he dropped to 9 th. 

Even bonehead Benning wouldn’t have screwed that pick 

1 minute ago, Rabid Rooster said:

It became quite obvious to me that when our brain trust signed Miller’s retirement package, what we need are more assistant managers of something.

Yet the smaller tweaks they've made have mostly been good......I like most of their summer signings (minus the obvious) and I've even been ok with the mid season deals and I thought they had a decent draft.

But where they've faltered is the franchise altering moves that have and haven't been made. Nothing they've done there gives me any confidence in them.

7 minutes ago, Fleech said:

There was a clear top nine available that year. Most had Guenther in the top five. Was surprising that he dropped to 9 th. 

Even bonehead Benning wouldn’t have screwed that pick 

Everyone was ok with the deal at the time because everyone considered that pick to be where the next tier began.  Not many people were heart broken they weren't able to pick Guenther.

For the first time since about 2015-16 season, I've taken a few games off by being busy (voluntarily, involuntarily).  

I'm very conflicted on cheering for the team for the same reason that a lot of fans are at the moment. 

I should clarify that mine have nothing to do with the owner, but rather the fact that our 25 and older guys just don't seem to have a win-at-all-cost attitude.  

I don't really want to throw this in the face of people that trash-talked the following players, as they also usually praised Tanev and Edler however Sutter and Beagle are exactly the type that we are sorely lacking right now.  I don't know what happened with the leadership in this group, it seems like they kept all the good stuff about being professionals, etc...  but don't have the innate willingness to block shots like Tanev, Edler, Beagle, and Sutter did.  

We now have a more and more skilled group that's performing as well as Anaheim.  

Anyways, will be watching this game with interest to see who emerges as a leader on this team through this tough season.  

3 hours ago, jason10009 said:

I was checking out the 2001/2002 roster. Incredible that we had such a great group then.

image.png.13bf567d897241b84464a6921add8f62.png

Pearson being injured and in decline later in his career due to the hard mileage has hurt this group. If we had players comparable to Klaat, Cooke, Brashear and Ruutu on this squad to complement the skill players it would make a huge difference. The previous management tried that with Roussel, Beagle etc but they were too pricey and late in their careers. I like Joshua a lot in this role but he needs seasoning. I wish they had kept Josh Bailey for a fourth line role as he plays with some grit and does not fade in the tough going like Dries and Garland. Pat Quinn's line philosophy of shooter/playmaker/banger seems to have fallen out of favor and been replaced with "high hockey IQ" mindset but someone needs to get them the effing puck from the corners imo...just my 2 cents on roster mix.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If I hire a supervisor for my work site, that's supposed to cut logs. And all I give the supervisor is workers with drills, wrenches, and hammers. Do you blame the supervisor? 

A good carpenter never blames his tools…

…there’s jokes in there somewhere about this team AND cdc.

• There it is 2