The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 05, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

52 minutes ago, jyu said:

Re-sign him. But if he refuses to re-sign? Might as well get something, even if it's a late 1st.

Is it tampering if canucks tell them they want to wait until offseason to offer "x" because he's such a good fit with Petey and then trade him at the deadline? 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser was more of a no win. 

Previous regime signed him to a contract which made the QO very questionable / difficult decision. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but fans would have been ok had we traded Miller last season for a good return and used the opened up space from Miller leaving to sign Boeser to a 1 year show me deal at the QO price. 

To give a guy who didn't show anything the past few seasons a 3 year deal didn't make sense. 

A601D3BD-2FC7-4ED6-B948-E7007BDADE95.png

31 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Arm chair quarterbacking several months later is easy to do isn’t it?

Miller was the co-MVP that drove the play and was the main lifeblood of this team last year. He was the first to reach 99 points in over a decade for this franchise. If he was going to be traded, there needed to be a minimum amount of a reasonable return. Obviously our management wasn’t offered that so they did the next best thing and not lose him for nothing. Miller was signed to a 7, not an 8 year extension. He signed to 8M per year. Not 9 or 10 like some forecasted. Miller, who also is American chose to stay here because he loves this City, teammates and coach. This was an excellent signing AT THE TIME.

He obviously is struggling this year and a very easy target for people like you but don’t blame the Canuck woes just on Miller. 

If you want to play the blame game, there is lots to go around. Alvin did not screw this up. He screwed up elsewhere but not in this regard. 

Umm, nope. I recall explaining this to you at least 15 times myself. :frantic::P

Horrible move from management likely keeping us from being competitive for the next decade.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

They should have ponied up for Miller, that's clear 

Lol i found it funny in a crucial draw late in the game with canucks on the PP, Horvat was facing Compher. I think the stat was like horvat 27/40 draws vs Compher who was 4/14 lol. Horvat owned him 2 straight draws. 

I bet Colorado would give up a lot for Bo. Canucks should keep dangling Miller to Colorado but Sakic is smart. He knows he needs Bo not Miller to win another cup. 

So then he'll end up paying the price for Bo. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol i found it funny in a crucial draw late in the game with canucks on the PP, Horvat was facing Compher. I think the stat was like horvat 27/40 draws vs Compher who was 4/14 lol. Horvat owned him 2 straight draws. 

I bet Colorado would give up a lot for Bo. Canucks should keep dangling Miller to Colorado but Sakic is smart. He knows he needs Bo not Miller to win another cup. 

So then he'll end up paying the price for Bo. 

Well, I'm hoping Bo isn't on the table.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

A601D3BD-2FC7-4ED6-B948-E7007BDADE95.png

Lool you brought up stats from the bubble? Yeah I was on this board defending Boeser when everyone said we should trade him / not sign him. My point is that he is still an asset with an unknown outcome whether he can be a point a game guy but what we do know is that he is a consistent 60 pt guy. As such canucks need to keep him and see. 

Thats why I wanted a 1 year show me deal at the QO price. 

Had he signed a 1 year, he'd go UFA this year and he likes Vancouver. He would have probably signed for Garland money

A 3 year was too much. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Boeser was more of a no win. 

Previous regime signed him to a contract which made the QO very questionable / difficult decision. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but fans would have been ok had we traded Miller last season for a good return and used the opened up space from Miller leaving to sign Boeser to a 1 year show me deal at the QO price. 

To give a guy who didn't show anything the past few seasons a 3 year deal didn't make sense. 

Ding ding ding ... @Ghostsof1915 that's how it's done. This signing every single player we have expiring no matter what has to stop if we want to be successful.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Umm, nope. I recall explaining this to you at least 15 times myself. :frantic::P

Horrible move from management likely keeping us from being competitive for the next decade.

Yup

I always said Miller doesn't play hockey the right way. 

He is a gambler and takes chances to try scoring goals which is not sustainable hockey. 

Hes like a gambler that had a good night playing craps and then cashed in his chips. 

Guys that play the right way and sustainable hockey on this team is Petey, Podkolzin and Mikheyev. 

Weird how that's 2 Russians and a Swede but that's the truth. 

BO is probably right behind them in how they play a 2 way game

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ya we disagreed a lot and still do about him. Simply put, they weren’t offered enough for a trade. That’s the reason he was re-signed. No one in their right mind thought he would have such a bad year just a couple months later. Nevertheless, I still have faith he will pick it up and regain his form. He is still my fav Canuck. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Lool you brought up stats from the bubble? Yeah I was on this board defending Boeser when everyone said we should trade him / not sign him. My point is that he is still an asset with an unknown outcome whether he can be a point a game guy but what we do know is that he is a consistent 60 pt guy. As such canucks need to keep him and see. 

Thats why I wanted a 1 year show me deal at the QO price. 

Had he signed a 1 year, he'd go UFA this year and he likes Vancouver. He would have probably signed for Garland money

A 3 year was too much. 

You said he hadnt done much. So all I was pointing out was that is wrong. Also you risk signing a guy to a 1 year deal who could then pot 40g and now you’re in deep sh*t. Either sign him and play the risk game of “is this who he is” or “was this a one-off” or trade him and lose a possible 40 goal scorer. 3 year bridge deal gives a fair assessment and is perfect because you aren’t locked in forever and that contract is likely moveable.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You said he hadnt done much. So all I was pointing out was that is wrong. Also you risk signing a guy to a 1 year deal who could then pot 40g and now you’re in deep sh*t. Either sign him and play the risk game of “is this who he is” or “was this a one-off” or trade him and lose a possible 40 goal scorer. 3 year bridge deal gives a fair assessment and is perfect because you aren’t locked in forever and that contract is likely moveable.

Canucks are in trouble because they keep paying for "potential" and are wrong more than half the time. 

On this team,I would only do that with Petey and Hughes. Hughes is now locked in on a good contract. 

Everyone else on this team should get paid once they actually achieve something. 

If you think it's moveable then great. I don't have an issue. 

Im even ok if we retain 1-2 Mil for 2 seasons if that means we get a good return 

Edited by CanucksJay

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

Get what?  That a business owner wants his business to make money?  Why is that such a foreign concept for you?  Wouldn't you want your business to make money?  Isn't that the point of owning a business?

You're just completely missing the point and the bigger picture, my man. Convincing you of anything is like talking to a brick wall so I'm not going to bother today, k?

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1

Trade Horvat with salary retained for this season, with Horvat signing an extension with new team for a 1st plus a depth centre.

Trade Kuzmenko for a high 2nd rd pick and a right handed depth defensemen

Keep Miller.

Tank tank tank without 2 of our most offensive players and Miller playing C

Win the lottery

Draft Bedard 

The Bedard effect opens up free agent interest.

Trade for or sign an RD somehow in off season (I didn't bother to look at who the UFA are this year) but the Bedard effect will open up avenues.

If we don't win the lottery it will be a dark period going forward. I bet Petey and Hughes request trades in the distant future.

52 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Arm chair quarterbacking several months later is easy to do isn’t it?

Miller was the co-MVP that drove the play and was the main lifeblood of this team last year. He was the first to reach 99 points in over a decade for this franchise. If he was going to be traded, there needed to be a minimum amount of a reasonable return. Obviously our management wasn’t offered that so they did the next best thing and not lose him for nothing. Miller was signed to a 7, not an 8 year extension. He signed to 8M per year. Not 9 or 10 like some forecasted. Miller, who also is American chose to stay here because he loves this City, teammates and coach. This was an excellent signing AT THE TIME.

He obviously is struggling this year and a very easy target for people like you but don’t blame the Canuck woes just on Miller. 

If you want to play the blame game, there is lots to go around. Alvin did not screw this up. He screwed up elsewhere but not in this regard. 

I wanted them to trade Miller all along, but I can also see why they didn't at the same time. There's always options, and one has to be chosen. 

Knowing the cap was tight, and that Bo and Petey needed extensions I still think trading Miller was a better option, but coming off the season he did it's tough to say signing him was a mistake,,,,I just think the term was a mistake- not the signing itself but doesn't sound like they could have had one without the other. So here we are. 

3 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Trade Horvat with salary retained for this season, with Horvat signing an extension with new team for a 1st plus a depth centre.

Trade Kuzmenko for a high 2nd rd pick and a right handed depth defensemen

Keep Miller.

Tank tank tank without 2 of our most offensive players and Miller playing C

Win the lottery

Draft Bedard 

The Bedard effect opens up free agent interest.

Trade for or sign an RD somehow in off season (I didn't bother to look at who the UFA are this year) but the Bedard effect will open up avenues.

If we don't win the lottery it will be a dark period going forward. I bet Petey and Hughes request trades in the distant future.

Lool that's a big gamble