The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sunday January 8 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Winnipeg Jets - 12pm PT/2pm CT/3pm ET - Canada Life Center

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Do we even have a defensive coach?  At some point he needs to take responsibility. Can’t just deflect it all to the players and assistant coaches. 

Hard to be defensively sound when the goaltending is as bad as we got.  Guys run a bit trying to prevent shots from areas a good goalie would stop.  That creates seems (gaps) that make things worse.  If Demko is healthy we win.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Nate Schmidt comes here and sucks... Goes away and is awesome again.  

Jalen Chatfield was okay here but goes to Carolina and is flourishing.  

Edler and Tanev got a boost from leaving too.  

That sounds a lot like coaching to me 

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yes you can. You can have a chicken shit salad 

That’s right. 

But if the owner and management keep hanging on to that shit or brining in more shit, don’t blame the head chef for serving you a shit salad. 

That’s the point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Nate Schmidt comes here and sucks... Goes away and is awesome again.  

Jalen Chatfield was okay here but goes to Carolina and is flourishing.  

Edler and Tanev got a boost from leaving too.  

I don't think it's coaching, but our leadership group isn't willing to sacrifice for wins. 

Horvat, Boeser, Hughes are great offensive talents but either can't or won't get down and dirty to get wins. 

Edler was fine here and I called it that the team and fans would miss him when he leaves. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Devron said:

That sounds a lot like coaching to me 

Could be... Could be... I don't like blaming it all on coaching, but that's my bias. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So BB should scratch the terrible goaltenders? Who plays net then?  

Decent commitment to team defense would help make a mediocre goalie passable.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s right. 

But if the owner and management keep hanging on to that shit or brining in more shit, don’t blame the head chef for serving you a shit salad. 

That’s the point. 

It’s all good this great year to suck 

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I can understand that gripe. 

But, I’m sure he doesn’t want to single out any top player that he needs to keep the train somewhat on the tracks going forward. 

Or try to pump their trade value I suppose.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do we even have a defensive coach?  At some point he needs to take responsibility. Can’t just deflect it all to the players and assistant coaches. 

You want him to take responsibility for poor play by a dcorps that’s not very talented overall and in over its head most nights? 

And yes, the team has a D coach. I think it’s King. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

You want him to take responsibility for poor play by a dcorps that’s not very talented overall and in over its head most nights? 

And yes, the team has a D coach. I think it’s King. 

I thought king is the offensive guy. It’s either Cull or Yeo. Whatever…..

16 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

As Hansen said recently this team is designed to score goals but not to win. 

It’s the defensive corps that have not had the time to gel & the holes in it. 

And many break downs seem to be paid for in full with a goal against.

You can launch your offensive weapons with abandon when you have stellar defenders knowing when to stay &/ or go! Any hesitancy to not leave the ice,  pinch in or back off - is being exploited by the opposition. 

This D-corps has no idea who their defensive partners may be game to  game - or shift to shift.  Continuity would be helpful, but who knows when that’s coming?   

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Could be... Could be... I don't like blaming it all on coaching, but that's my bias. 

@eeeeergh said it best earlier. He has a post that made a lot of sense. We were better defensively under Green. Under Bruce we went full offensive. We don’t have the defence to pull off that style of play. We got better up front and stayed the same on the backend. We were also pretty decent defensively when we had guys like Tanev on the team. Our forwards were still fairly young at that time. So it was less goals against and less goals scored.

Bruce may not be the full problem but coaching is part of it imo 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

@eeeeergh said it best earlier. He has a post that made a lot of sense. We were better defensively under Green. Under Bruce we went full offensive. We don’t have the defence to pull off that style of play. We got better up front and stayed the same on the backend. We were also pretty decent defensively when we had guys like Tanev on the team. Our forwards were still fairly young at that time. So it was less goals against and less goals scored.

Bruce may not be the full problem but coaching is part of it imo 

No, we weren't unfortunately. Green had the best roster given to him (out of all the seasons he's been here), and we were still getting outshot badly, if not outscored.

Green is not a good coach. His line changes were also confusing so they often created too many men penalties. Lest we forget...

Edited by Dazzle

11 minutes ago, viking mama said:

It’s the defensive corps that have not had the time to gel & the holes in it. 

And many break downs seem to be paid for in full with a goal against.

You can launch your offensive weapons with abandon when you have stellar defenders knowing when to stay &/ or go! Any hesitancy to not leave the ice,  pinch in or back off - is being exploited by the opposition. 

This D-corps has no idea who their defensive partners may be game to  game - or shift to shift.  Continuity would be helpful, but who knows when that’s coming?   

Forwards need to chip in the defense also. Plus I can't help but feel were at the point players are playing to pad their own individual stats. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No, we weren't unfortunately. Green had the best roster given to him (out of all the seasons he's been here), and we were still getting outshot badly, if not outscored.

Green is not a good coach. His line changes were also confusing so they often created too many men penalties. Lest we forget...

Yes we were. I’m not saying he was a great coach or the solution here but we were better defensively. Shots mean shit to me. Odd man rushes. High danger chances, goals allowed. That’s what I care about and what defence is about 

• Cheers 2