The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sunday January 15 2023 - Vancouver Canucks @ Carolina Hurricanes - 2pm PT/5pm ET - PNC Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

I don't believe the numbers. I Lived there for 8 years. They don't give a crap. Lots of free corporate ticket giveaways, radio/school giveways. I saw maybe 10 license plates or stickers. Very few jerseys. I worked 3 minutes away.

So your saying that 50%, 30% or whatever of the entire nightly attendance didn't pay?  Come on, I get that attendance there has been bad in the past,  but the on-ice product has been very good for years and they're known to have one of the most creative marketing departments in the league,  it's not unrealistic to think people have come around to the product there.  Remember,  winning sells!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Actually,  the fact that they can draw equal attendance to us despite hockey being the 3, 4, 5th most popular sport there says something,  no?

As I said, it's not the whole picture but you can't say nobody cares about hockey there anymore,  at least not lately. 

They really don't. 

Carolina (north carolina) sporting teams:

1) UNC basketball 

2) Duke basketball 

3) NC state basketball

4) Carolina Panthers

5) UNC football

6)NC state football

Durham Bulls baseball

Wake forest basketball

Nascar

Carolina Hurricanes

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Interesting… the Hurricanes are first in their division (27-9-7), but they don’t have a single player on their team that has more points than games played. It seems like they don’t heavily rely on a few guys to always produce and get contribution from everyone, playing as a team.

I Request Elaboration White Vision GIF - I Request Elaboration White Vision  Paul Bettany - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

They really don't. 

Carolina (north carolina) sporting teams:

1) UNC basketball 

2) Duke basketball 

3) NC state basketball

4) Carolina Panthers

5) UNC football

6)NC state football

Durham Bulls baseball

Wake forest basketball

Nascar

Carolina Hurricanes

And yet they've still averaged 94% attendance capacity this season and will certainly finish top 10 in attendance at the end of the season. 

I'm not arguing their the most popular attraction in the area,  but the numbers don't support that nobody is interested. 

Edited by Fanuck
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So your saying that 50%, 30% or whatever of the entire nightly attendance didn't pay?  Come on, I get that attendance there has been bad in the past,  but the on-ice product has been very good for years and they're known to have one of the most creative marketing departments in the league,  it's not unrealistic to think people have come around to the product there.  Remember,  winning sells!

PNC arena is on NC state, state fairgrounds so i'm sure they pay almost nothing in rent. The nhl tv deal makes them close to breakeven and like all of bettman's failures they give away a oot of tickets to boost numbers (or make them up). 

Dallas is barely better and i'd doubt their figures. 

• There it is 1

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Actually, people in Carolina have been caring about hockey for some time now.  I know it's not the 'whole' story,  but their attendance isn't far off ours:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/3973879/2022/12/07/nhl-attendance-stadium-tickets/%3famp=1

Yeah they have a good fan base that appreciates their team. They've always had hard working teams. Good franchise.

my guess is that Boudreau will be around until after the Edmonton game next Saturday. 

Which coach in their right mind would want to take over a team and have Tampa, Avs, and Edmonton as their first 3 games?

If the change happens next Sunday, he would face Chicago, Seattle, Columbus... a much easier schedule 

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

PNC arena is on NC state, state fairgrounds so i'm sure they pay almost nothing in rent. The nhl tv deal makes them close to breakeven and like all of bettman's failures they give away a oot of tickets to boost numbers (or make them up). 

Dallas is barely better and i'd doubt their figures. 

But people still have to go to the games even if tickets are free.  We're not arguing profits here, but there ARE people in the stands regardless of where tickets came from. 

Just now, Fanuck said:

But people still have to go to the games even if tickets are free.  We're not arguing profits here, but there ARE people in the stands regardless of where tickets came from. 

If they disappeared they would barely be remembered. There are about 2.3 mn in the triangle. Even if they got those figures which i doubt they are not a growing and real fanbase. This is the constant con that bettman plays. Hockey will never be big in the south. 

Hockey is still number 1 in canada but the US favoritism, lack of successful teams and other factors are slowly strangling it. It sucks as its my favorite sport.