The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, BertaNuck said:

I think JR needs to release Allvin and find a more experienced GM to help him out 

The issue is everyone not just PA. They clearly talked about evaluating this team. They did it for a year and what they determined is we needed to add while going for playoffs. That's not just on PA.... That's everyone's vision. We need to make sure to spread the finger pointing around :P

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

The issue is everyone not just PA. They clearly talked about evaluating this team. They did it for a year and what they determined is we needed to add while going for playoffs. That's not just on PA.... That's everyone's vision. We need to make sure to spread the finger pointing around :P

They should be going for the playoffs, they just didn't do it right.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Very little, if anything, inspired any kind of confidence that he knows what he's doing.

When JR came in, he probably never realized the mess that was left behind by Benning, the bad contracts, no prospects, etc. Vancouver has been a poorly run organization for many years. It's going to take time to fix it and it's taking longer than JR probably expected.

Maybe he's finally going to do it right, though, once he deals with the mess. Fans are just impatient (myself included). At least they seem to finally see that playoffs are not going to happen and they need to make major changes. My guess is that Bo Horvat being traded is the major surgery. They've tried to re-sign him, but Bo is chasing the money after what they just gave Miller. Can't blame him. Maybe if Benning didn't trade the 1st to get OEL, the Canucks would be able to re-sign Bo as well, and have Guenther developing. Sucks. 

Better days ahead. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

When JR came in, he probably never realized the mess that was left behind by Benning, the bad contracts, no prospects, etc. Vancouver has been a poorly run organization for many years. It's going to take time to fix it and it's taking longer than JR probably expected.

C'mon, how can he not know?  Even you and I knew ... he's a hockey man for umpteen years.  You mean to tell me he didn't do his homework and look at the cap situation,  information that is readily available on the internet ??!!  What JR saw were the zeros that Aqualini was willing to put on a cheque to hire him as the Prez.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

I don't think the main complaint is about not making in-season trades. Pretty much everyone on CDC understands that it is hard to make in-season hockey trades given the current cap situation.

For sure. It’s just the timing. We know there needs to changes but the aren’t happening mid season so why

b!tch? At least until the deadline is over 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't you need to make the playoffs to win the Cup?  And isn't winning the Cup the entire point of the league?

I feel like a lot of people forget this

Because our competition for a cup are teams who had bear as their 7th dmen and pederson as their AHL 3c. We have them playing top 6 and top 4 mins along with crucial late game moments. 

We also are ranked LAST in GA + PK along with the 28th ranked prospect pool. I love how optimistic you are even at this point of the season but this is not a recipe for success at all. It's going to keep us in the mid pick range of no lottery no playoffs. Most of us are tired of this cycle 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

C'mon, how can he not know?  Even you and I knew ... he's a hockey man for umpteen years.  You mean to tell me he didn't do his homework and look at the cap situation,  information that is readily available on the internet ??!!  What JR saw were the zeros that Aqualini was willing to put on a cheque to hire him as the Prez.  

Well, I'm sure JR knew about the cap and roster etc. I'm sure he's surprised at how difficult it's been to move some contracts, unable to make any trades. He probably never had these types of problems in PIT or CAR. 

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Because our competition for a cup are teams who had bear as their 7th dmen and pederson as their AHL 3c. We have them playing top 6 and top 4 mins along with crucial late game moments. 

We also are ranked LAST in GA + PK along with the 28th ranked prospect pool. I love how optimistic you are even at this point of the season but this is not a recipe for success at all. It's going to keep us in the mid pick range of no lottery no playoffs. Most of us are tired of this cycle 

They're in a top 7 pick, not mid range at the moment.  The biggest issue with this team is coaching and management 

11 hours ago, RWJC said:

What good are the minutes being played if the players don’t develop chemistry or an effective pairing? Wouldn’t you rather bite the bullet and take a loss in finding something that does work, rather than accepting complacency. I like OEL, but it’s not like he’s steering this club with those minutes. It’s because we have no one else who can play them. Same thing with Myers. For those cap hits I’d rather have 3-4 other dmen who could effectively establish a new D corps. 

We're basically stuck in quicksand for another year, probably two. Right when JB hoped to be competitive and use what he hoped OEL brought. Well first off JB is now gone and we're in a retool, plus OEL hasn't played up to anywhere near hoped. Second, he could be replaced by Stillman or better any number of 3-4 million dollar players and we literally wouldn't miss a beat just like when he was scratched. Exact same result. In fact we'd most likely play better but our team situation would unquestionably be better. OEL has not aged well.

Tbh it literally doesn't even matter if OEL is playing good, decent,  bad, or just poor, we already have a $7 million LD and simply don't need a big cap hit there. Some people will lamely argue you can't replace a top 4D for less but that's utterly ridiculous. This the whole point of having a GM. No team in the NHL has four $7 million dollar dmen.

OEL and his cap hit are a drag on the team but we're stuck with him. No point in even worrying about it. The buyout is stupid we might as well ride it out. Exactly why draft picks would be great for this team as they would be ready right around then. People are so impatient though including JR. It's pretty much guaranteed he makes a bunch of bad moves to try to be competitive right away here. I fully expect the Bo trade to send massive disappointment through the organization when we settle for some crap 23 year old like Vey and another 6/7 defender. 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're in a top 7 pick, not mid range at the moment.  The biggest issue with this team is coaching and management 

Goaltending is our biggest issue.  Stopping pucks at .871 isn't good enough.  We need a healthy, Double Bubble Demko.

• There it is 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Mmmm... I'd definitely add poor roster construction/fit/chemistry etc to that list.

I'll agree that we don't have a massive talent deficit overall. But the way that talent works together, the redundant wingers, ill fitting D, lack of two way players etc... The roster needs a fair bit of retooling as well.

• Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

We're basically stuck in quicksand for another year, probably two. Right when JB hoped to be competitive and use what he hoped OEL brought. Well first off JB is now gone and we're in a retool, plus OEL hasn't played up to anywhere near hoped. Second, he could be replaced by Stillman or better any number of 3-4 million dollar players and we literally wouldn't miss a beat just like when he was scratched. Exact same result. In fact we'd most likely play better but our team situation would unquestionably be better. OEL has not aged well.

Tbh it literally doesn't even matter if OEL is playing good, decent,  bad, or just poor, we already have a $7 million LD and simply don't need a big cap hit there. Some people will lamely argue you can't replace a tp 4D for less but that's utterly ridiculous. This the whole point of having a GM. No team in the NHL has four $7 million dollar dmen.

OEL and his cap hit are a drag on the team but we're stuck with him. No point in even worrying about it. The buyout is stupid we might as well ride it out. Exactly why draft picks would be great  for this team as they would be ready right around then. People are so impatient though including JR. It's pretty much guaranteed he makes a bunch of bad moves to try to be competitive right away here. I fully expect the Bo trade to send massive disappointment through the organization when we settle for some crap 23 year like Vey and another 6/7 defender. 

I think people greatly under state OEL's play.  He's been tye best overall dman since he got here (granted it's a low bar) and the biggest issue is the lack of any kind of coherent defensive system.  You put a different coach in here, one that brings defensive structure and holds the feds accountable for play in their own end and we wouldn't even be talking about OEL and Myers, imo 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Mmmm... I'd definitely add poor roster construction/fit/chemistry etc to that list.

I'll agree that we don't have a massive talent deficit overall. But the way that talent works together, the redundant wingers, ill fitting D, lack of two way players etc... The roster needs a fair bit of retooling as well.

To some degree, I agree.  However, I have no doubts that JB was going to use his expiring contracts, Miller especially, to address that.  

And again .....coaching, coaching, coaching

Edited by stawns

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think people greatly under state OEL's play.  He's been tye best overall dman since he got here (granted it's a low bar) and the biggest issue is the lack of any kind of coherent defensive system.  You put a different coach in here, one that brings defensive structure and holds the feds accountable for play in their own end and we wouldn't even be talking about OEL and Myers, imo 

Hughes is our best D and it ain't even close.

• Upvote 1

At this point, I wouldn't be against a complete rebuild. I feel like we've heard the term "retool" for decades now and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that has had to do with the Aquilinis. The term "retool" at this point feels more like "let's just half go in on having a good team so that we never get there.".

Not saying I'm against a retool mind you as we do have a few good young pieces, but it definately starts to sound like a broken record after a while and rather disappointing when the other option has so much more potential on actually winning a cup.

• Like 1