The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Tampa Bay Lightning at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, Devron said:

Re tool just means not moving Hughes or Petey. 

Rebuild means moving those guys. 

Y’all worried for nothing

Did JR identify our core?  IMHAO our owner sees retool as changing the supporting players around the existing core of Petey, Hughes, Demko, Miller, Bo.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldmanpower said:

How about our GM gets us 3 defensemen instead of firing the coach. Been there,done that. Like 5 times already. The definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over with the same result.

What do we do with the OEL and Myers contracts?  JR/Allvin have brought in D, but they can only get guys who are cheap because Benning allocated huge cap dollars to OEL and Myers.  Until those two (and their cap) are gone, we won’t see high end D in our top four to help Hughes.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I thought the team was pretty good last night aside from the two really bad plays by the defense and spencer had a very tough night..  he moves too much in his crease and gets out of position.  The forwards were pretty good as well.  They were just out gunned by a better team playing well.  I will admit tampa cruised for half the game but the guys played hard!  Kuz is really really skilled!  Losing that guy would hurt

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What do we do with the OEL and Myers contracts?  JR/Allvin have brought in D, but they can only get guys who are cheap because Benning allocated huge cap dollars to OEL and Myers.  Until those two (and their cap) are gone, we won’t see high end D in our top four to help Hughes.  

Let Myers expire, and let OEL run out his contract. Aim to contend in 4 years when whoever we draft in 2023 is ready to be a big contributor. Stack young assets that we can trade for rentals in 4 years when we’re ready. 

Its not going to change in a hurry as long as we have the dollars tied to OEL and Myers on the back end. How we will improve with that dead weight is head scratching. You cant keep bringing in players that have floundered in other organizations hoping they turn it around here.We need to jettison both of those players somehow. It may take a pick and a player to get someone to take on OEL. Hes just plain awful and I dont know if anyone would take him. Lazy player, floats, doesnt hit, doesnt clear the net awful in his own end and doesnt produce on the offensive side either.

Myers has some value but not at the cap hit he is at. He might get some takers as a rental but i believe his contract isnt up til end of next year? Its three years away for any improvement of the D for sure.

Perhaps Demko can come back and regain form but he hides the weakness that the D really has.,

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally understand this situation. Myers 6 mil. Oel 8 mil. Boeser 6 mil etc. The Canucks value per dollar must be close to the league’s worst. I’ve stated previously that some very important decisions need to be made. We exist in Nhl no mans land. I don’t believe a coaching change fixes major Cap/roster problems. Since 2013 we’ve gone through many coaches. We fired a stanley cup winning coach ffs. 

Play the season out under existing staff. Make some major moves at trade deadline and draft but please don’t keep doing the same thing over and over. 

• There it is 1

They get told in the press again and again that they aren’t good enough and we want to get rid of you and the best thing you can do for us is keep losing.  
I have really rarely seen anything like JRs press presence since he got here. 

Don’t expect a lot of great efforts from here out. 

9 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

Totally understand this situation. Myers 6 mil. Oel 8 mil. Boeser 6 mil etc. The Canucks value per dollar must be close to the league’s worst. I’ve stated previously that some very important decisions need to be made. We exist in Nhl no mans land. I don’t believe a coaching change fixes major Cap/roster problems. Since 2013 we’ve gone through many coaches. We fired a stanley cup winning coach ffs. 

Play the season out under existing staff. Make some major moves at trade deadline and draft but please don’t keep doing the same thing over and over. 

We’ve been doing the same thing since Aquilini bought the club.  The guy spends on our team but he needs to hire managers who will build the club in their vision (with long term contracts) and not expect his vision to be the one followed. I think our owner got a twisted view that his philosophical direction for building a club works (regardless of the current situation) by Gillis being successful.  

7 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

The fact that Sergachev didn't have to fight anyone last night tells you all you need to know about this team. They aren't a team, they are 23 guys who play hockey. If that happened to any other team Sergachev would have had to answer the bell in the first 5 mins. Disappointing. 

Yup.  That was Bo’s job to step up when it happened and his job last night.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  That was Bo’s job to step up when it happened and his job last night.  

I mean, even Schenn for Christ sake...somebody.

People will call me a fairweather fan or whatever, but honestly at this point i hope we keep losing. There's zero chance at playoffs and we need to think about next year. Sell what we can, aim for Bedard. People say " well I'm still rooting for them" which I am....just not this year because it achieves absolutely nothing other than lowering our draft pick slot. 

Edited by Harold Drunken