The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If so, I would've been buying the garbage that management had been selling at the start of the year. Far from it though. I was one of the most critical of this management when they were just getting started and I was roasted by posters for not giving them enough time. :rolleyes:

JR said we have nice pieces, which ironically praises the work of Benning, does it it not? Now you say it's a mess, which is hilarious because JR said he didn't know that the team needed this much work. Laughable.

So make up your mind then about this management - do they know what they're doing or not? It SURE doesn't sound like they do.

They spent the cap thinking we were a playoff team, but we're at the bottom. Major surgery? Or fast tracked team the playoffs? He said that too.

"We're a few trades away from being a playoff team", or something to that effect. If that sounded like Benning, you'd be correct. He said the same crap as him, as well as the "R" word too - retool. Lol.

And who’s the owner behind it all.

And do you think a succesful, Stanley Cup winning GM and anomoly in the business is simply going to come in and ride the coat tails of failure? Nah, he was very likely directed to give this a shot. And he has, and it has f**king failed miserably like it was already going to do. 

a wise man gives something time to reveal itself on its own accord.

that is exactly what has happened.

unfortunately fans want the romance and pleasantries too but there is none to be had. It’s a mitigated failure prior to Bruce, to new mgmt. It’s emotional, but its also business. That’s just what’s happening right now…a transition back to business. Even if it’s ruthless. I welcome it, it’s overdue.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I’d say this is pretty well said. Aside from the treatment of Boudreau I really haven’t minded the things our management HAS done.

As much as people disagree I still think Miller at 8 was the right call. He’s a much more versatile player than Horvat, and can drive a line. At Center or on the wing. 

Horvat is a good goal scorer and a great human but he’s pretty 1 dimensional. He’s not a penalty killer. He’s not a set up man. He gets most of his points on the power play. Paying him more than 6.5m based on this season he’s having probably ages very badly. 

im happy to be patient and wait and see how this management team handles the Horvat trade, what they get in return, and what they can do when some of our bad money starts falling off. 

Huh?

He's not the best penalty killer, but he's certainly better than Miller because of one specific trait - he wins faceoffs.

Our PP sucks this year and Horvat is having a career year without the PP.

You couldn't be more wrong about your assessment.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RWJC said:

And who’s the owner behind it all.

And do you think a succesful, Stanley Cup winning GM and anomoly in the business is simply going to come in and ride the coat tails of failure? Nah, he was very likely directed to give this a shot. And he has, and it has f**king failed miserably like it was already going to do. 

a wise man gives something time to reveal itself on its own accord.

that is exactly what has happened.

unfortunately fans want the romance and pleasantries too but there is none to be had. It’s a mitigated failure prior to Bruce, to new mgmt. It’s emotional, but its also business. That’s just what’s happening right now…a transition back to business. Even if it’s ruthless. I welcome it, it’s overdue.

You're making excuses for JR. He has been the talking piece from the very beginning. He also was the one who set up his staff now.

My issue isn't that you have an opposing opinion; it's that it lacks blame on JR, and you won't admit it.

I REALLY want you to read this

image.png.294c0ba32b93b4dd45cc5fdb68edfc0c.png

https://canucksarmy.com/news/analyzing-patrik-allvinrjim-rutherford-diverged-original-plan

If this is not Benning 2.0, I don't know what is.

Rutherford said that - not the owner. Quit making excuses.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, chon derry said:

There was some admittance in his latest speech. Who knows maybe he’ll bite the bullet and deal miller. He doesnt have to own up to it with any type of comment it’s just something that 20/20 hindsite should guide him to do. The right thing !

The right thing would be to resign and apologize for disgracing the franchise.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The right thing would be to resign and apologize for disgracing the franchise.

Actually the right thing would be aquilini come out from hiding behind Rutherford and fire his ass but he seems to have gone deaf dumb and blind 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Those prospects still won't want to play in a toxic environment under a coach who is a locker room cancer and a team president with serious character issues.  Rutherford needs to go before anyone in their right mind would sign here.

I guess we will see.

we managed to scoop Kuz over other teams and it wouldn’t have happened if Benning was still here 

• Haha 1

Just now, RWJC said:

I guess we will see.

we managed to scoop Kuz over other teams and it wouldn’t have happened if Benning was still here 

Kuz signed here because of Mikheyev, who himself got a nice UFA bonus. The Canucks threw money at players because they thought they were a playoff team. Nothing could be further from the truth.

image.png.6d5f65d90299a49bc40465654d297b33.png

Remember this quote.

3-9 since Christmas, yikes, sums up the season. Can't wait to see how bad this team is under Tocchet, maybe it is a stealth tank move? No way we suddenly get wind and start playing well, the boys aren't going to want to battle the way they did for Bruce.

Hopefully ownership see this mess and fire JR and PA in the offseason for shaming the Canucks franchise name across the league. Who would want to come to work here after this?

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You're making excuses for JR. He has been the talking piece from the very beginning. He also was the one who set up his staff now.

My issue isn't that you have an opposing opinion; it's that it lacks blame on JR, and you won't admit it.

I REALLY want you to read this

image.png.294c0ba32b93b4dd45cc5fdb68edfc0c.png

https://canucksarmy.com/news/analyzing-patrik-allvinrjim-rutherford-diverged-original-plan

If this is not Benning 2.0, I don't know what is.

Rutherford said that - not the owner. Quit making excuses.

I’m not going to blame someone who has already admitted blame for not being able to achieve what he wanted to. It’s not like he ignored it completely though, and to be fair, we already had surplus amount of D men that he needed to assess. Guys like Dermott, Poolman, needed more time to see if they could benefit this roster. It’s only been half a season to give that opportunity and both have proven difficult to roster. 

Again I just think it’s easy to jump to slagging someone, but if they are admitting mistakes, holding themselves accountable in front of the press (which is exactly what he did - he willingly exposed what is wrong and took it on the chin like a boss while also including why the entire thing is failing) as a precursor or preface to making the moves he’s likely wanted to make from early into tenure.

I dont like the JTM contract and I detest the BB6 one, but I think there was pressure by you know who to consummate those deals and run with the success we saw on the back half of last season…because ownership couldn’t let go of it and continue to wear their rose coloured glasses while counting their profits 

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Kuz signed here because of Mikheyev, who himself got a nice UFA bonus. The Canucks threw money at players because they thought they were a playoff team. Nothing could be further from the truth.

image.png.6d5f65d90299a49bc40465654d297b33.png

Remember this quote.

Yeah, he’s doing what a GM has to do.

Sell hope. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Yeah, he’s doing what a GM has to do.

Sell hope. 

So in that case, Benning should not get as much blowback, no? He's been selling hope for years. And at times, they seemed very real (i.e. COVID bubble).

It's rather curious how much the goal posts have shifted.

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

3-9 since Christmas, yikes, sums up the season. Can't wait to see how bad this team is under Tocchet, maybe it is a stealth tank move? No way we suddenly get wind and start playing well, the boys aren't going to want to battle the way they did for Bruce.

Hopefully ownership see this mess and fire JR and PA in the offseason for shaming the Canucks franchise name across the league. Who would want to come to work here after this?

It would be one serious method acting stealth tank though wouldnt it? Hah

Not saying it’s the case, but this Pres is one of very few people you want in charge of your org if you’re about to secure a generational talent…as history has shown 

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m not going to blame someone who has already admitted blame for not being able to achieve what he wanted to. It’s not like he ignored it completely though, and to be fair, we already had surplus amount of D men that he needed to assess. Guys like Dermott, Poolman, needed more time to see if they could benefit this roster. It’s only been half a season to give that opportunity and both have proven difficult to roster. 

Again I just think it’s easy to jump to slagging someone, but if they are admitting mistakes, holding themselves accountable in front of the press (which is exactly what he did - he willingly exposed what is wrong and took it on the chin like a boss while also including why the entire thing is failing) as a precursor or preface to making the moves he’s likely wanted to make from early into tenure.

I dont like the JTM contract and I detest the BB6 one, but I think there was pressure by you know who to consummate those deals and run with the success we saw on the back half of last season…because ownership couldn’t let go of it and continue to wear their rose coloured glasses while counting their profits 

Even Benning has admitted mistakes too, but that didn't stop posters from crapping on him. Admitting mistakes on TV/radio is meaningless.

The problem with him (JR) admitting mistakes was also admitting that he didn't have a clue about what he was doing from the start. Specifically, JR boasted about hiring "different voices" and compartmentalizing departments so that they'd be able to make group decisions. It wasn't supposed to be JR running it, yet that's exactly how it has played out.

It's crazy how the women who were hired in executive positions have so little of a voice. We barely hear them talk about anything at all. This begs the question: was it a PR move, or are they just not the right people for the job? I'd honestly like to see them interact with the media. Instead, we ONLY see JR and maybe Allvin (not really).

It's this pretentiousness that I can't stand.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally! Ten times over!

but who signs off on the cheques?

Eventually, its FA that chooses JTM over Bo, imho, if that’s what goes down 

Then get yourself fired and do the right thing. Nonis took it on the chin.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Totally! Ten times over!

but who signs off on the cheques?

Eventually, its FA that chooses JTM over Bo, imho, if that’s what goes down 

Oh no, Alf's gotten to you 

In any case here's hoping management can find themselves a spine and correct their mistake 

If Bo goes it doesn't make any sense to keep Miller, management can call it whatever they want but Miller doesn't fit the timeline of a rebuild, he never did 

We ain't contending sooner than later, his best remaining seasons almost certainly won't take place on a team going deep, at least not if he stays in Vancouver 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

It would be one serious method acting stealth tank though wouldnt it? Hah

Not saying it’s the case, but this Pres is one of very few people you want in charge of your org if you’re about to secure a generational talent…as history has shown 

There's a very real chance our first rounder refuses to report if Rutherford continues to disgrace the franchise with his continued misconduct.  Agents are watching now and understand just how much of a piece of $#@& we have for a president.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1