The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 20, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Miller scored 99 points last season. Horvats career high was what? 60?

I think fans have a serious case of hindsight 20/20 here. Signing Miller first was a no brainer in my eyes.

Besides we've done nothing but lose with Horvat as our leader.

JR said that managing cap and have space was paramount. He then signed Miller to 8m when he was having a career year and looking for a new contract. He was not going to hit those numbers again and he killed cap space. Thus contradicting himself and setting the path to future errors when he had to trade a second with Dickinson to get space and and and.. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

People forget what was said when he was first hired on. If you listened, the team had good pieces. Was too reliant on goaltending and needed to get structured play, defensively responsible coaching. It was said creating cap flexibility was needed.

JR wasn't wrong. He's said the same thing throughout and now more changes are coming.

Most people last offseason wanted Miller signed and also thought Bo would get done at a much lower cap number then is talked about here.

If the team had good pieces, why is the team at the bottom then?

It's either their assessment of the team was wrong, or you're wrong. It can't be both.

FYI, I wouldn't say most people wanted Miller re-signed. I for one was loudly for trading Miller. Obviously that didn't work.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There are better places for him to make money, if that's what he's chasing (i.e. the US), and for him to perform better. The dude is 27. He will miss Vancouver, but I guarantee that he will want to spend his years competing for a cup. If he doesn't perform well in Vancouver (a retool/rebuilding team), his NHL career will be done.

He is not obligated to be loyal to Vancouver, nor should anyone think that way. You'd be foolish to think I'd sign with Vancouver right now with this kind of management, if I were a player. The only reason I'd sign is if I got overpaid.

The simple question was why would 

Kuz sign here.

All I said is he’d sign here if it meant he gets to play alongside an elite player he has chemistry with who can ensure Kuz’ point totals and $$$ potential. 
that is an option.

I didn’t say it was written in stone, FFS

18 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

You all have to get over Benning. A couple of trades instead of re-signing Miller and Boeser and the team would be completely different. Yes, Benning had his problems but this Management, esp JR, talked about all the things the team needed to do and chose to do nothing. The current management has shot themselves in the foot and are in the process of blaming everyone else. I bet this management sinks further into the mire when nobody in the league offers them fair value. The lack of anything has sunk the team for the next 5-10 years.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

JR said that managing cap and have space was paramount. He then signed Miller to 8m when he was having a career year and looking for a new contract. He was not going to hit those numbers again and he killed cap space. Thus contradicting himself and setting the path to future errors when he had to trade a second with Dickinson to get space and and and.. 

Indeed. This is a great summary of JR's faults.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Because his chemistry with EP got him points this year that will get him $$$ this summer. After he signs a 6m dollar 4/5yr contract in July do you really think he cares. Besides, stick him next to any dominant C in the league and he’ll stack points.

For sure. I’m just making a point that this is still an option. 

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The simple question was why would 

Kuz sign here.

All I said is he’d sign here if it meant he gets to play alongside an elite player he has chemistry with who can ensure Kuz’ point totals and $$$ potential. 
that is an option.

I didn’t say it was written in stone, FFS

There are lots of elite players around the league. There's no reason to sign in Vancouver when management is lowballing their captain money, so much so that he has to be traded to save cap space.

There is no reason to be loyal to Vancouver right now, aside from fulfilling contractual obligations. Clearly, Horvat's looking elsewhere but Vancouver.

Seriously dude, if we were playoff contenders, I'd see your point. We haven't even STARTED our much needed rebuild. Why the hell do you think people will want to play here now when the future is so uncertain about success?

Will we recover from this? I'm sure we will. Players will have to be convinced again though.

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

If the team had good pieces, why is the team at the bottom then?

It's either their assessment of the team was wrong, or you're wrong. It can't be both.

Or…

Rutherford’s  very presence and failing management has put the whole team in a dismal tailspin. 

He’s supposed to solve problems not create them.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Miller drives the Canucks PP. Prior to this season Horvat has been a 60 point player once. Miller has played badly at C this year but has been better in the past. Horvat is clearly better at faceoffs & losing that prowess will hurt, but Horvat isn't a level Selke defensive player himself.

Even if Miller is just a PPG winger that drives the PP 8M is fair right now & will be fine as the cap increases. If Horvat is a 25 goal 50-60 point 2C who isn't good on the PK then 8M will be bad right away.

Edit: I personally like Horvat more & am sad he's leaving, but Miller has clearly been the better player since arriving to Vancouver. This year is the only time Horvat has been better. 

Look at Horvats last 3 seasons ( particular). Further if you have to. But the last 3 is a clear trajectory   Compare it to millers last 3. Horvats #s go up almost predictably 2FB7CE8F-F1E9-46FF-8D90-E08AC6B1A3B9.thumb.jpeg.3ca4b26b4bc07bbeb062d1ba3419c25e.jpeg24D38F88-E4D0-49FA-9340-25016E0F7086.thumb.jpeg.7e1046dc4fe3c85cabb83786a0c78c58.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

There are lots of elite players around the league. There's no reason to sign in Vancouver when management is lowballing their captain money, so much so that he has to be traded to save cap space.

There is no reason to be loyal to Vancouver right now, aside from fulfilling contractual obligations. Clearly, Horvat's looking elsewhere but Vancouver.

Kuz is a pure goal scorer. He will stack goals with any good players you play him with. I cringe to think of the damage he would do on the oilers!

• Cheers 1

I doubt very much most players want to come to Vancouver and play for this team. I sure as hell wouldn't want anything to do with this circus and idiot management.

Fans should start wearing paper bags to games. Embarrassing times to be a fan.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Our PP is worse than ever, with or without Miller. Horvat has improved every season.

There was no rush to re-sign Miller. He still had a year left on his contract.

Holy... the amount of excuses you're making is so mind boggling.

Excuses for what? All I've said is Miller is a better player. Whether you think they should've signed him or whatnot is another matter.

Recency bias is strong here. Since Miller arrived his PPG is 1.04 compared to Bo who's is 0.80 in the same period.

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Look at Horvats last 3 seasons ( particular). Further if you have to. But the last 3 is a clear trajectory   Compare it to millers last 3. Horvats #s go up almost predictably 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

I don’t think he’d “quit” on the players like that but I wouldn’t blame him. 

He'd be walking away from over $1M due for the balance of the year.  I don't see him doing that (his 2022-23 salary is $2.5M)

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Excuses for what? All I've said is Miller is a better player. Whether you think they should've signed him or whatnot is another matter.

Recency bias is strong here. Since Miller arrived his PPG is 1.04 compared to Bo who's is 0.80 in the same period.

You keep talking about PPG. I clearly said that Horvat is a better player ALL AROUND except offense.

It's not about recency bias dude. It's looking at facts. Horvat has always been criminally underrated in this market, and you've proven it. Horvat is the best faceoff man on this team - fact. He is a better penalty killer. Fact. He is THE captain. Fact.

Look at this article - my god.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-wrong-player-extend-horvat-miller/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

The players reaction tonite shows how much respect they had for BB makes me wonder if they tune out tochett which is something I’ve never seen but this isn’t good 

Didn't OEL have some real issues with Tocchet?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1