The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TOCCHET IS ONE TOUGH EX PLAYER

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

Can't teach toughness.  It starts at a very young age and continues throughout a player's

career.  Those guy have to learn discipline.

Not to say that some of the skills attributed to toughness can't be taught; it depends on the player.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I will respond to this. There are personnel that we have which I wanted BB to play and could not understand why he did not. Bouroughs, Schenn, Miller, Lazar and others all like to hit but it fell off. We have the people to play that way and the team played better when we were.

Schenn had been hitting and was leading the league I think at one point under BB.  But please look back at clips from the 2010-1 team and you'll see a full group of guys that will hit and a few guys that could scrap and be good enough deterrents.  My point is that this current roster will not be feared no matter how many hits you send Lazar in for.

14 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

OK FOR THE SOFTER FANS capital letter large letters who cares..im not into that new millennium trash..i will type smalll here to please the canuck fans who probably dont even understand the game at this level...its a business its a goal to fill the stands and win the cup..sell jerseys make money end of that...but as a canuck fan sure id love them to win a cup once and for all...but reality is there so many teams every year trying to the same thing...super bowl stanley cup world series etc..one team only and ya i know its hard..Here is one thing i ask for from rutherford alvin tocchet ..play some good hard nose hockey and play hard at home...dont worry about what will happen next..they play like they are just pro hockey guys that will do their jobs and provide me as a fan good hockey to watch..not into the drama trades free agent news coaching changes etc..tired of it i dont really care now..i just want to see good hockey ...crazy hockey tough hockey highlight reel goal hockey...if not i will just keep watch junior hockey...too much drama and not enough effort into just keeping it simple and playing like they should...THATS ALL

The cup is so far away from this city right now that the most direct way is to do a rebuild for sure.  That means after a decade this city will need to be patient for many years to come......but I think this is workable from a business perspective if they get a whole pile of high end picks in the next couple of years while shifting the team to one that's very hard to play against.  We may lose a lot for a few years still but if the other teams do not look forward to playing a scrappy team here, then we have entertaining hockey.  People will say the league has changed blah blah blah but this is a business and if you don't have wins you have to provide more than $20 beer........but they're not achieving that with anything close to this roster.

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

How old are you? Lower case letters have been around for over 1000 years, might not seem long to a hockey god but us mortals are kinda used to them.

As for Tocchet... not convinced he's the right person for the job but we're stuck with him for a while so hopefully I'm wrong.

that may be true, but the concept of CAPITALS BEING YELLING is pretty new age and millennial

I find it funny that there is always one or two posts to point it out every time someone used CAPS

it falls into the "I am offended by your CAPS, so I cannot understand your post"

sometimes I post in caps by accident, and am just too lazy to fix it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

THISGUY WAS NPT THE BEST AT PURE SCORING OR ANYTHING ..HERE IS MY TAKE ID TOCCHET CAN GET THE CANUCKS TO PLAY LIKE HE DID IN THE NHL WE WILL BE A TEAM THAT IS FEARED EVERY GAME..LET THE STAR PLAYERS DO THEIR THING...IVE ALWAYS COMPLAINED ON HOW SOFT THE CANUCKS PLAY BUT YOU CANT DO IT EVERY GAME TOO MANY YOU NED TO COACH THAT WHEN AND PLAY SMART TOUGH HOCKEY SO YOU DONT BURN OUT..ID LIKE TO SEE THE CANUCKS CHANGE THIS WAY I THINK IT WILL HELP..THE MORE EMOTION THE CANUCKS HAVE THE BETTER THEY PLAY..THAT WORKS FOR ME IN EVERY DAY LIFE...

I couldn't get rid of the caps, but I jazzed it as best I could

I made it smaller , so they is yelling at a whisper

I DONT CARE WHAT BANDWAGON JUMPERS THINK OR LIKE OR HATE..AS A CANUCK FAN YOU STICK WITH IT..I COULD CARE LESS WHO OWNS THE TEAM IIF HE IS FAT SKINNY BLACK OR YELLOW..ALL I CARE ABOUT IS GOOD HOCKEY ....JUST PLAY REAL AND GET REAL...EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER I THINK TEAM WILL GET GOOD RESULTS...

8 hours ago, lmm said:

that may be true, but the concept of CAPITALS BEING YELLING is pretty new age and millennial

I find it funny that there is always one or two posts to point it out every time someone used CAPS

it falls into the "I am offended by your CAPS, so I cannot understand your post"

sometimes I post in caps by accident, and am just too lazy to fix it

You sure about that?

image.png.600930d392b52ffb114c34ba493313f3.png

image.png.137bf42034efb0fcc198c59f7aa9039e.png

The Standard Speaker and Elocutionist

By John William Kirton · 1880

Personally I find paragraphs of all caps really difficult to read even if it's otherwise well written. In hockeygod's case it kinda fits with their style i suppose.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • elephant 1

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

You sure about that?

image.png.600930d392b52ffb114c34ba493313f3.png

image.png.137bf42034efb0fcc198c59f7aa9039e.png

The Standard Speaker and Elocutionist

By John William Kirton · 1880

Personally I find paragraphs of all caps really difficult to read even if it's otherwise well written. In hockeygod's case it kinda fits with their style i suppose.

well I STAND CORRECTED

I wonder if John William Kirton a nd Alfred Lord Tennyson got roundly and regularly criticized for yelling in print?

btw I am a fan of Alf Lord Tennyson

2 hours ago, lmm said:

well I STAND CORRECTED

I wonder if John William Kirton a nd Alfred Lord Tennyson got roundly and regularly criticized for yelling in print?

btw I am a fan of Alf Lord Tennyson

I think Kirton added the capitalization as the book is more about reading and oration. The fact he added the explainer suggests it was fairly novel at the time but maybe there are earlier examples which are harder to find or use as citations.

Conveniently I live with a doctor of 19th century literature, I'll see if she has an earlier source. Sorry for hijacking this otherwise great thread.

• Huggy Bear 1

52 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think Kirton added the capitalization as the book is more about reading and oration. The fact he added the explainer suggests it was fairly novel at the time but maybe there are earlier examples which are harder to find or use as citations.

Conveniently I live with a doctor of 19th century literature, I'll see if she has an earlier source. Sorry for hijacking this otherwise great thread.

no worries

its funny though, because that is what I think when people feel the need to insert "Why ARE YOU yelling" memes 

18 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

I DONT CARE WHAT BANDWAGON JUMPERS THINK OR LIKE OR HATE..AS A CANUCK FAN YOU STICK WITH IT..I COULD CARE LESS WHO OWNS THE TEAM IIF HE IS FAT SKINNY BLACK OR YELLOW..ALL I CARE ABOUT IS GOOD HOCKEY ....JUST PLAY REAL AND GET REAL...EVERYONE WORKS TOGETHER I THINK TEAM WILL GET GOOD RESULTS...

Eat Protein Bar GIF by SnickersUK

On 1/24/2023 at 3:45 AM, hockeygod77 said:

OK FOR THE SOFTER FANS capital letter large letters who cares..im not into that new millennium trash..i will type smalll here to please the canuck fans who probably dont even understand the game at this level...its a business its a goal to fill the stands and win the cup..sell jerseys make money end of that...but as a canuck fan sure id love them to win a cup once and for all...but reality is there so many teams every year trying to the same thing...super bowl stanley cup world series etc..one team only and ya i know its hard..Here is one thing i ask for from rutherford alvin tocchet ..play some good hard nose hockey and play hard at home...dont worry about what will happen next..they play like they are just pro hockey guys that will do their jobs and provide me as a fan good hockey to watch..not into the drama trades free agent news coaching changes etc..tired of it i dont really care now..i just want to see good hockey ...crazy hockey tough hockey highlight reel goal hockey...if not i will just keep watch junior hockey...too much drama and not enough effort into just keeping it simple and playing like they should...THATS ALL

He might succeed here. The skilled guys we have love to be creative. Let Tocchet tighten up our structure his way but still allow those guys to do the unpredictable. From his introductory interview I think he knows his strengths and limitations and will let those guys put on a show, not just for the fans (though that too) but to avoid being predictable--the weakness of any system.