The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 27, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Should be interesting to see which other players (other than Demko) they will shut down.

if we’re taking bets, I’ve been thinking OEL all season.

Then maybe a guy like Lazar - he’s been alright but not what I was hoping.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

23 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Same thing happened to me at 16 too. Weird thing was, I could play hockey but baseball and basketball just killed me ... quickly ... had surgery within a year ... thank god!!! 

It’s much easier to skate on the ice with a partial ACL tear than running on the ground in football, soccer, baseball or basketball.  They pressure on the knee isn’t as great and a lot of times you can just glide on the ice. I can’t think of too many soccer players that would even play with a partial ACL tear.  I mean you are constantly running up and down the field.

Mikheyev said he was wearing a brace, so that obviously helped him. It’s easy to wear a brace under all of that equipment, nobody even noticed. Can’t wear a brace if you are playing soccer or other sports as your range of motion would be severely limited. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

No one would have signed off on him playing if there were the slightest chance playing could make it worse ........no chance

Ultimately, it is up to the player. Big thing is we don't know the extent of the first injury.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Petey/Mik/Kuz grew together and built on a good season next year, instead of insane bi-polar regressions that always happen to us?

Petey and the Russians could be one of the top lines in the league. 

• There it is 1

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t that a slippery slope though?

Like what kind of rules does the NHL have in place for when a player can decide to play and when they can’t? What if a player decides to play and it leads to a career ending injury? Is it all on them?

Regardless of all that I don’t understand what the long term plan was. Have him play all season not at 100% until he might need surgery? If they planned on being a playoff team why not get the surgery done right away so he could be back for the stretch drive?

The odds of having a career ending injury playing with a partial tear with a knee brace on is quite low. We aren’t talking about a head injury here or broken bones that need healing. 

Also, if he had the surgery in September he would have missed the entire season. It’s an 8-9 month injury. 

23 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Klimovitch is absolutely breaking out into what everyone hoped he would. A call-up would be warranted. Now that Podkolzin is over the shock and displeasure of

being demoted, he could get a look soon too. Karlsson and Hoglander both very talented, whether they're structured enough is anyone's guess. We should have 

scouts for that. It is difficult to judge the AHL because the schedule is so stop and go.

Didn't he kinda break out once and then cooled off and got scratched ?

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

Ultimately, it is up to the player. Big thing is we don't know the extent of the first injury.

And he's not going to risk the rest of his career if he could make it worse by playing through the pain 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s much easier to skate on the ice with a partial ACL tear than running on the ground in football, soccer, baseball or basketball.  They pressure on the knee isn’t as great and a lot of times you can just glide on the ice. I can’t think of too many soccer players that would even play with a partial ACL tear.  I mean you are constantly running up and down the field.

Mikheyev said he was wearing a brace, so that obviously helped him. It’s easy to wear a brace under all of that equipment, nobody even noticed. Can’t wear a brace if you are playing soccer or other sports as your range of motion would be severely limited. 

It was really weird and deceiving psychologically and physically. My knee could handle the soft pivots and pushes on ice but not the hard pounding and abrupt pivots on the court. I was fine on the ice, sort of, it just took longer to present.

On the field or court, my knee would pop out of place. My team mate would literally pop it back into place and I'd keep playing. On the ice, it was fine ... I had more control over the injury. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Huggy Bear 1