The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/Discussion] Do you buyout OEL?

Rate this topic

Odd.

OEL Buyout  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well I went with keeping him. It's not as if he's useless. And at this point, even though he's not the same as he was a few years ago, he's still definitely has purpose on our team. Besides, as mentioned earlier and more than once.......dude has a contract that no one wants and moving him will be difficult. 

I know OEL ain't no Karlsson, but ya' never know. Dude might get his second wind and be that guy again. Now that being said............

It bears repeating....Our D Sucks! We need better support. There isn't any top grade D in the draft this year, and to obtain a top tier player of Norris/Conn Smythe ability, well...............It'll have to be through free agency I'm afraid. A couple of matched pairings to play with Huggy and OEL would give us a suitable one-two D pairing and with the rest of what we got D wise will suffice for now. 

As mentioned earlier, even if we won the Bedard sweepstakes, we will still suck. I think with the speculation of trades involving some of our forwards, we'll get drafts and prospects of higher talent, though probably still raw. Hence us not being a winning team for a bit longer. I'm okay with that. And OEL will still be in the picture of that foreseeable future.

The option of keeping him now and considering a buyout, retention trade, etc nearer the end of his contract is the real answer.

No way on Earth we should save cap now and incur pain dow the road.  Our team isn’t good at all, and at best will be a playoff worthy team in 2-4 years if we do everything right.  No point ditching the cap in the next couple years when we should be rebuilding anyways.

Buying him out now would be a Benning level move.

No replacement at half the cost or less will likely even be as good as him… so you end up behind in the short term and behind in the long term.  Find him a partner, give him some easier minutes, turn him around.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Sativika said:

Well I went with keeping him. It's not as if he's useless. And at this point, even though he's not the same as he was a few years ago, he's still definitely has purpose on our team. Besides, as mentioned earlier and more than once.......dude has a contract that no one wants and moving him will be difficult. 

I know OEL ain't no Karlsson, but ya' never know. Dude might get his second wind and be that guy again. Now that being said............

It bears repeating....Our D Sucks! We need better support. There isn't any top grade D in the draft this year, and to obtain a top tier player of Norris/Conn Smythe ability, well...............It'll have to be through free agency I'm afraid. A couple of matched pairings to play with Huggy and OEL would give us a suitable one-two D pairing and with the rest of what we got D wise will suffice for now. 

As mentioned earlier, even if we won the Bedard sweepstakes, we will still suck. I think with the speculation of trades involving some of our forwards, we'll get drafts and prospects of higher talent, though probably still raw. Hence us not being a winning team for a bit longer. I'm okay with that. And OEL will still be in the picture of that foreseeable future.

Like you and @Provost have said, there's absolutely no point in panicking and buying him out now.  

Our team is set up to suck next year as well, so trying to save money now by mortgaging the future would be incredibly short-sighted.  Not sure if anyone has posted this, but a buyout in two years is optimal.  

SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (Logo of the Vancouver CanucksVAN) CAP HIT (Logo of the Arizona CoyotesARI)
2025-26 $5,250,000 $8,250,000 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 $3,500,000 $4,180,000 $570,000
2026-27 $5,250,000 $8,250,000 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 $3,500,000 $4,180,000 $570,000
2027-28 $0 $0 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 -$1,750,000 $1,540,000 $210,000
2028-29 $0 $0 $0 $1,750,000 $1,750,000 -$1,750,000 $1,540,000 $210,000

• 3 weeks later...

Buy him out, deal with his contract in 2026-2028. It’s clear management doesn’t want to rebuild, why would he hang on to him?

Cap is going up anyway. We can’t afford to give up draft picks to move him, he has an NMC so what we can even get is limited, it’s evident our team doesn’t want his ass next season. The fact that we play better with him out the line up tells me all that I need to know.

Makes no sense to keep him around. 

On 2/6/2023 at 7:22 PM, Nave said:

I don't get the point of buying out OEL before we are playoff hopefuls.

Well if the management team actually acted in a rational manner, a buyout would help them take on bad money next season in exchange for a first round pick. A buyout makes sense if you use the space in a constructive way, which this management team seems unable to do.

Edited by dougieL