The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll/Discussion] Do you buyout OEL?

Rate this topic

Odd.

OEL Buyout  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

The current ownership bought the team when Nonis was GM. They meddle for sure. But they were meddling during the Great Gillis teams too. 

Sadly although Gillis could handle it, Aquaman couldn't. Gillis was a high IQ person, Aqaman not so much and was likely shown up to often. Hurt pride 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

The current ownership bought the team when Nonis was GM. They meddle for sure. But they were meddling during the Great Gillis teams too. 

See my reply to you on this in my Proposal.

As this is highly inaccurate. Aquilini bought the team just by chance when a win-now and properly developed core was in place. After that 2011 cup run we needed a rebuild... Aquilinis true colours came out and we stand where we do today over ten years later. 

The fact you would make any excuses for Aquilini is disgusting. Even if he was good for the on-ice aspect (which he's not!), he is still a terrible person and we need good people in this organization. Something Linden and Gillis spoke about often. AQUILINI OUT.

• Like 1

When I made a thread like this as a joke a few weeks ago I never thought we'd be seriously considering it, but OEL has gotten worse as the season goes on. It's still early days with Tocchet but he's been no better with Rick.

As it stands, I'd rather we buy out OEL, eat his 2-4M penalty (mostly just 2m but there's a couple of 4M years) and sign a UFA to play on the left side.

UFAs this season include Gostisbhere, Ryan Graves, Gavrikov, Maata and Soucy.

I'm sure we can throw 5M at one of these guys and get them on a nice 4-5 year deal. Graves would be my ideal guy - NJD are going to struggle to keep him with Luke Hughes surely coming up the ranks and Bahl as well. They're far too stacked to keep him. Gavrikov will probably be traded and demand 6+M after this monster year he's having but of course he'd be the best of the bunch. Soucy is more of a 3rd pairing guy who will surely be re-signed by Seattle but Maata's looked good in Detroit. For the sake of it, say we snag Graves 5x5M deal. 

He's young (27ish), having a sturdy year playing top-4 minutes in NJD, obviously on a great team. Great stats but not much offence so hopefully means we can sign him for just 5M (although you know he'll be asking for 6ish).

Graves' 5M + OEL's penalty (basically nothing one year, then 2.4Mish for a couple of years, 4M for a couple of years then 2.4M for the rest of the contract) equates to around 7-9M spent on Graves. I know that seems ridiculous but I'd take that right now because of the difference in quality.

Graves at 7-9M is so much better than OEL at 7M

It would be something a ballsy GM like JB would do, I'd never see someone like Allvin do it but if we want to take a shot at the playoffs next year we have to try.

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Definitely not. Gotta ride it out.

Why is the rebuild crowd so impatient with this?

Agree with this. if we are rebuilding and going with younger cheaper contracts, we can afford to have an operpaid player or two. Canucks just need to stop signing any older UFAs that make over 2 or 3M/year.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Definitely not. Gotta ride it out.

Why is the rebuild crowd so impatient with this?

No kidding.

So we get a bunch of cap savings for next year?  then pay for it the next, like, 7 seasons?  Even if you use the 6 mil in savings next year to eat a bad contract with a 1st attached it’s not worth the long term pain. And short term - after this season - who cares?  They need to prove this core is worth building around before anything that drastic.

Ride it out.  If it looks like the team is going to contend and every penny counts - you can always pull the trigger. 

What they should be doing is trying to shut him down and hope he gets his mind and body healthy for next year.  Guy looks very worn down. 

23 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

When I made a thread like this as a joke a few weeks ago I never thought we'd be seriously considering it, but OEL has gotten worse as the season goes on. It's still early days with Tocchet but he's been no better with Rick.

As it stands, I'd rather we buy out OEL, eat his 2-4M penalty (mostly just 2m but there's a couple of 4M years) and sign a UFA to play on the left side.

UFAs this season include Gostisbhere, Ryan Graves, Gavrikov, Maata and Soucy.

I'm sure we can throw 5M at one of these guys and get them on a nice 4-5 year deal. Graves would be my ideal guy - NJD are going to struggle to keep him with Luke Hughes surely coming up the ranks and Bahl as well. They're far too stacked to keep him. Gavrikov will probably be traded and demand 6+M after this monster year he's having but of course he'd be the best of the bunch. Soucy is more of a 3rd pairing guy who will surely be re-signed by Seattle but Maata's looked good in Detroit. For the sake of it, say we snag Graves 5x5M deal. 

He's young (27ish), having a sturdy year playing top-4 minutes in NJD, obviously on a great team. Great stats but not much offence so hopefully means we can sign him for just 5M (although you know he'll be asking for 6ish).

Graves' 5M + OEL's penalty (basically nothing one year, then 2.4Mish for a couple of years, 4M for a couple of years then 2.4M for the rest of the contract) equates to around 7-9M spent on Graves. I know that seems ridiculous but I'd take that right now because of the difference in quality.

Graves at 7-9M is so much better than OEL at 7M

It would be something a ballsy GM like JB would do, I'd never see someone like Allvin do it but if we want to take a shot at the playoffs next year we have to try.

I like the idea of adding Graves 

I like him 

but we might have to suck again next year 

Edited by R3aL

OEL is only 31.  This has been a tough season for him but I wouldnt buy him out-yet.  This is definitely a gutcheck moment for him so Id like to see him train hard over the summer, Tocchet can get his systems in place for next year and mgmt needs to re jig the roster.  A year or two more before any buy out.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

What if we ride it out for another 1-2 years then buy him out? 

Even if we get bedard this summer we are gonna still suck. The games will just be more exciting and we won’t care as much about losing 

It isn’t a whole lot better honestly. I had been thinking depending on how much the cap goes up, we could use that to accommodate for a OEL buyout. 

53 minutes ago, Dynamic Innovator said:

The Canucks can’t send him down. He has a NMC. 

Press box then I guess 

Give Wolanin and Brisboise some games

OEL can go work on his fitness

Everyone ragged on Tryamkin for fitness and look at this guy. Arthritis legs Old EL

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Press box then I guess 

Give Wolanin and Brisboise some games

OEL can go work on his fitness

Everyone ragged on Tryamkin for fitness and look at this guy. Arthritis legs Old EL

Counterpoint:  the 5D chess stealth tank strategy says play the wheels off OEL.

Results:

- OEL plays 28-30 minutes a night

- it facilitates dismal results

- his knees explode 

- he goes for early retirement

- the Canucks draft 1st overall

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • elephant 1

8 hours ago, Pears said:

It isn’t a whole lot better honestly. I had been thinking depending on how much the cap goes up, we could use that to accommodate for a OEL buyout. 

It's just those 4+ million dollar years when we could be looking aaa reentering a competitive phase that could be tough. 

Problem is I dont like having an A on a guy who is overpaid, and underperforming. It bothers me.

12 hours ago, R3aL said:

I like the idea of adding Graves 

I like him 

but we might have to suck again next year 

I wonder if there's a way we can fight back and get into playoff contention in a year. 

Right now looking at this roster we need to really revamp the defence and get a solid 2-way third line center. We've got everything else. We've got a great top center, a pretty good 2nd line center now in Miller (PPG so arguably better than a lot of team's 2C), we've got some of the best wingers out there depth-wise, and we've got potentially a top-10 if not top-5 goalie in Demko when healthy.

Our 4th line is average, our 3rd line center has been an AHLer all year, but the 3rd line wingers are pretty decent compared to others out there. We just need an anchor at 3C.

Defence is the big issue, we ideally need 2 defencemen (OEL and Myers) out and 2 new decent top-4 defencemen in their prime. That's hard work though, I don't see it happening any other way. The only way we move OEL is by spending another 1st and that just shouldn't happen. We could bury him as a 5th defenceman but we'd still need to acquire 2 top-4 defencemen and likely move Myers.

I just don't see this management having the kahunas to make that many moves so in that case, yes I think we will suck again next year

Lololololol

imagine they buyout OEL 

a player that we got what two years out of and the cost to get him and the cost to buy him out.

pretty much would cement JB as one of the crappiest and most utterly clueless and useless   gms in franchise history.

Personally I’d rather just see him a heathy scratch till he accepts a trade or for 5 years it’s up to him.if the guy had even the slightest bit of pride he’d ask to be moved asap. 
i remember Toronto fans booed there own player till he was traded, Larry Murphy if I remember correctly.

I wouldn’t buy him out  we don’t want to be paying for  clueless  Jims mistake for years after this contract expired.