The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Feb. 09, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When Isles fans say he was a cap dump you know they were just worried he’d turn it around here.

After we got him, he said he felt he was playing well but the stats sheet didn't show it. I can see why he said it. He's going to thrive with us and getting a bigger role and opportunity.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

Good effort tonight - actually torn between what result I wanted since we "potentially" have the Isles first round pick this year or next. Just a question to the group -

how does the NHL draft actually work - if the Canucks finish say 15th seed, can they still win the lottery and get the number 3 pick or is the lottery for the top 12 teams only.

Tough season this year - the Canucks are really in no mans land - not as bad as Columbus but in tough to the make the wild card. They really need a top 3 pick soon - the last times we got Linden and the Sedins and helped mould our team as finalist.  Looks like the Blues and Canadiens have also checked out - they don't seem to be too upset with their extended streaks right now.

Denying horvat the enjoyment of a win after the trade was the best outcome regardless of the bottoming out positioning. Fitting for beauvilier to get the winner. He never asked for this situation that was created by Horvats canucks contract refusal. Horvats not a Canuck anymore. The first day of moving on from horvat. Couldn’t have ended any better. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

29 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Don't just look at the stats...watch the game. Blocking shots like a boss (Petey too). That goal he set up was a really crafty bit of work. He battled hard for the puck on the boards too...but that doesn't show on the scoresheet even though it contributes to it.

I am not looking at stats.... I remember drafting Brock Boeser and seeing him as a rookie. Of course he had a bad year with injuries that he didnt take proper time to heal. but even though he seems slow... its calculated and being in the right spot at the right time. JT had a lucky year and we signed him over Horvat. We were stuck with Lu Cap for so many years, and now we got OEL and Myers. Trading Boeser is a loss, one everyone would see in a couple years.

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

After we got him, he said he felt he was playing well but the stats sheet didn't show it. I can see why he said it. He's going to thrive with us and getting a bigger role and opportunity.

I know it’s early but with his work ethic and skill level I don’t think an extension is out of the question.

Still only 25, crazy to be talking about him as a cap dump when he’s just entering his prime.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Poor media really wanted to call an Islanders win. Too bad!

Good strategic win tonight. Increases the chance the Isles pick will be higher.

Shows how elite our offense is. Traded our top goal scorer and still put up 6 against supposedly one of the top defensive teams.

The Canucks winning ruined the entire media’s narrative for tomorrow. They make have to cancel all of their shows. 

• Haha 2

Part 2: by so many guys putting up points, it will be good to cash in on at least 1 more asset before deadline.... 

Cashing in on 2 players would be awesome, for younger players and picks. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The Canucks winning ruined the entire media’s narrative for tomorrow. They make have to cancel all of their shows. 

I said that half jokingly but I really do think that the media enjoys covering our failure. They can’t keep from smiling half the time.

Nice to deny them another negative storyline in a season full of them at least.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

I guess i'm looking at things differently from many of you. 

I like teams which have elite scorers, good grinders, balanced dmen and the type of goalie who gets better after giving up their first two. I want vancouver to be one of these types again. 

I liked the team early as i saw the elite scoring but then the dmen and lack of grinders with physicality and pk doomed us. Therefore I'm committed to the tank as i believe a top 5 pick will really help us. I will cheer on players but the wins do not help us for this season is lost.

While i support the team I'm not enthused by tocchet's approach. He's trying to make every line do everything and it will absolutely get you to the 8th spot when systems get implemented over time. But it will absolutely get you kicked out in round 1 when you can't score. I can see this approach wearing on pettey and kuz and i actually think it will make miller worse over time as he won't score as much. 

Anyway that's my view on things, ready to be corrected in a few years if i'm wrong. I just want us to pick top 5 and hopefully get bedard so we really will be elite scorers against teams which defend well like winnipeg and the wild. 

As for the "true fans shall only do this" people, i think you need to get out more and read more.

• Wat 2
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1