The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

Are you suggesting if the Canucks went full tear down, Petey and Hughes would somehow leave the team for zero return?

We'd get return. I'm not convinced that return would be enough to make us a contender down the line though.

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

But add in a potential top 6 pick in this draft and now our prospect pool ranking goes to 15-16..

Not a bad job from a management team that inherited a bad team with empty cupboards, if theyre able to improve our prospect pool that much, while making our team better by plugging holes on D and the PK. 

Itll help this year presuming they don't trade our 1st, but unless its CB, AF, or MM it's not moving the dial that much overall. 

How do you plug holes when you are over the cap?

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Yeah that's not "walking"

Does it change things? Does it make a difference? I literally just stated what I think about returns. People overvalue what we'd get back on this forum most of the time anyway, not to mention forget that there's something called the cap. lol

Just now, The Lock said:

Does it change things? Does it make a difference? I literally just stated what I think about returns. People overvalue what we'd get back on this forum most of the time anyway, not to mention forget that there's something called the cap. lol

You said he'd "walk", that's something a player does into free agency for nothing. So yes, it does make a significant difference. 

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Stop trading away all our picks for once and establish a pipeline.

Benning was convinced that he could get just as good of players through trading those picks and finding gems in later rounds.

Both failed miserably because there’s no surer way to get young talent in your lineup than drafting in the first and second round. It’s really not up for debate, look at any successful organization. Any young reclamation project is usually cast off for a reason.

I feel like this is Benning in his early years where everyone defended his moves (myself included). But I can’t just watch us make the same mistakes we did for 8 years under him and not question it. It’s 100% the reason we’re in this mess. Had we kept picks over the years and drafted properly we could have a young core and a steady pipeline of high end players coming up. Instead we have two core players and very little in terms of blue chip prospects.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That may be true over Byram, but I never suggested getting Byram, I fail to see what it has to do with my point.

I’m just saying GMs and fans alike pursue players with a sketchy injury history. Chychrun as another example. 

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

You said he'd "walk", that's something a player does into free agency for nothing. So yes, it does make a significant difference. 

Okay, Mr. Pedantic. Good to know. lol

(or Mrs of course)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Just now, awalk said:

Itll help this year presuming they don't trade our 1st, but unless its CB, AF, or MM it's not moving the dial that much overall. 

How do you plug holes when you are over the cap?

I think they have what they need to create cap space.

1. As soon as Myers bonus is paid, his salary goes to 1m, but with a 6m cap hit. That becomes attractive to any team that is tanking and needs to hit the cap floor with minimal real salary. That should be easy to move.

2. Boeser is pretty attractive with a million or two of retention. I know Allvin didnt want to do that, but he'll probably have to. And that retention wont hurt us long run, its just for 2 years.

3. Garlands contract is somewhat buyout friendly too if nobody wants to take him.

I dont think Poolmans returning, and Pearson unfortunately looks like his hand was really messed up bad. Both likely LTIR next year. 

And we always have the nuclear buyout option too - buying out OEL which creates a lot of cap space next year (but punishes us in a couple years). 

They can create up to 20m in cap space, or as much as needed with the above options. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Okay, Mr. Pedantic. Good to know. lol

(or Mrs of course)

Lmao 

Losing our franchise defenseman for nothing 

And 

Trading him for a massive haul of picks and prospects 

Is a pedantic difference.

Got it.

Just now, awalk said:

Lmao 

Losing our franchise defenseman for nothing 

And 

Trading him for a massive haul of picks and prospects 

Is a pedantic difference.

Got it.

You clearly missed the point. We won't have Hughes either way and the return's not guaranteed.

My point still stands dude.

Just now, eeeeergh said:

I think they have what they need to create cap space.

1. As soon as Myers bonus is paid, his salary goes to 1m, but with a 6m cap hit. That becomes attractive to any team that is tanking and needs to hit the cap floor with minimal real salary. That should be easy to move.

2. Boeser is pretty attractive with a million or two of retention. I know Allvin didnt want to do that, but he'll probably have to. And that retention wont hurt us long run, its just for 2 years.

3. Garlands contract is somewhat buyout friendly too if nobody wants to take him.

I dont think Poolmans returning, and Pearson unfortunately looks like his hand was really messed up bad. Both likely LTIR next year. 

And we always have the nuclear buyout option too - buying out OEL which creates a lot of cap space next year (but punishes us in a couple years). 

They can create up to 20m in cap space, or as much as needed with the above options. 

An OEL buy out does significantly help us next year. If the cap goes up in the following years, it's possible it could be a prudent move. But holy hell 10 years of buy out penalty is a lot.

We'll see on the other stuff, there's likely a path as you say. There will have to be.

17 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

If it turns out to be a Joulevi, we're screwed. Petey/Hughs window closes 

Yeah, well at least now it's guaranteed. We're an awful bottom 6 team with the worst cap situation in the league and next to 0 prospects in the pipeline. Put a fork in us and set the alarm for 2030.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Lock said:

You clearly missed the point. We won't have Hughes either way and the return's not guaranteed.

My point still stands dude.

When's anything a guarantee? We aren't guaranteed to win anything with Hughes now, and I hate the idea of trading him anyway. 

Weird point to make.