The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

17 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Of course he does. This trade doesn't fix either team.

Detroit got worse and have a hole on defense and Canucks didn't improve the defense in their defense.

He's always been mediocre defensively.

We don't need more of those. 

One trade was never going to fix this team. It’s like when people were jumping for joy when Horvat was traded. That doesn’t fix the team either. This is only the beginning.

Benning was shopping for a top 4 RHD since 2015 when he moved on from Bieksa and wasn't able to find one.  I think he hoped that Myers was going to be that guy and offered him 6 x 6 to get him in free agency.  Now, Allvin has had the opportunity he pretty much has to take it because he may have to wait a long long time before he gets another one.

Drance is a pretty critical little sh*t who does nothing but poke holes in other peoples performance and has actually done nothing of the sort himself.  He just has no cred with me

Also, drafting a top D, he might have to wait 3-5 years before that guy is fully cooked and the present core: 23, 25, 27 would be 28, 30, 32.  Dave Nonis said essentially this today on 650 to give a very good reason why Allvin made the deal

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

One trade was never going to fix this team. It’s like when people were jumping for joy when Horvat was traded. That doesn’t fix the team either. This is only the beginning.

I agree. But shipping away things that can fix this team for a bandaid isn't the way either. We obtained things that'll help fix it (cap space and draft picks) and we are taking away our advantages in capital and the ability to make trades for guys we do need.

This is a trade you make near the end of a retool. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Devron said:

I look at it as if they didn’t trade away any picks and we got some assets on top of that. We don’t have a second rounder but we have 5 picks in rounds 3 and 4

How do you figure that? Even if you wash the NYI 1st, which is an odd thing to do, they traded their 2nd.

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning was shopping for a top 4 RHD since 2015 when he moved on from Bieksa and wasn't able to find one.  I think he hoped that Myers was going to be that guy and offered him 6 x 6 to get him in free agency.  Now, Allvin has had the opportunity he pretty much has to take it because he may have to wait a long long time before he gets another one.

Drance is a pretty critical little sh*t who does nothing but poke holes in other peoples performance and has actually done nothing of the sort himself.  He just has no cred with me

Also, drafting a top D, he might have to wait 3-5 years before that guy is fully cooked and the present core: 23, 25, 27 would be 28, 30, 32.  Dave Nonis said essentially this today on 650 to give a very good reason why Allvin made the deal

If we can get one of the top 3 centers in the draft it changes everything. Suddenly we have an elite 1-2 and have the luxury of trading Miller or moving him to wing.

If they’re determined to ride Demko, Hughes, and Petey down the stretch and pick 8-11 then this retool won’t work. We need a player that is ready sooner than later to fill in the lack of center depth we have. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Tanks a lot 1

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

I agree. But shipping away things that can fix this team for a bandaid isn't the way either. We obtained things that'll help fix it (cap space and draft picks) and we are taking away our advantages in capital and the ability to make trades for guys we do need.

This is a trade you make near the end of a retool. 

What if those picks didn’t turn out though. I’m just wondering do people just expect them to work everytime. I guess for me personally I have a hard time with that. We’ve needed a RH defencemen for god know how long but now it’s too late to acquire one? Not only that but he’s 25/26 with RFA status. Like how often does that happen. After all these years we just say no now? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

How do you figure that? Even if you wash the NYI 1st, which is an odd thing to do, they traded their 2nd.

We essentially have all our picks just in different orders

1st

3 x 3rd rounders

2 x 4th rounders

1 x 6th rounder

7 picks 

Edited by Devron

16 minutes ago, Devron said:

The idea of trading our way out of the current state of this team instead of drafting our way out is very worrisome to me.

Although it's fair to say you need a balance of both approaches.

Edited by awalk

7 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yup. Some of us fans might not like the timing (would prefer we rebuilt through the draft) of the Hronek Trade, but I don’t understand the concern about the value. Hronek is a for sure #3 D. He’s going to carry OEL on our second pairing. 

The trade was like that Family Guy episode where the dad chose a box (and it’s pitential) over a yacht. He hoped the box could have a yacht’s value. We just traded a box for a #3 D. Maybe that box might have a #3 D in it? Why the hell wait? Get the sure thing. For the next 5-7 years we now have a number one D and a number three D. We can fill in OEL as a 4 D. And we all have seen that Hughes is so great he can carry an AHL D as his partner. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If we can get one of the top 3 centers in the draft it changes everything. Suddenly we have an elite 1-2 and have the luxury of trading Miller or moving him to wing.

If they’re determined to ride Demko, Hughes, and Petey down the stretch and pick 8-11 then this retool won’t work. We need a player that is ready sooner than later to fill in the lack of center depth we have. 

If we do finish 8-10 do you think we might move that pick for a 22-25 year old centre, who can contribute now? 

Just now, awalk said:

The idea of trading our way out of the current state of this team instead of drafting our way out is very worrisome to me

Like I totally understand that side of the coin but at the same time. These picks take 5 years to cook. If we don’t make trades like this we have to wait a long time. Maybe we still do if Hronek doesn’t work out or we can’t continue to build around the core guys. But full rebuild mode I don’t know. I don’t think it works when you have Petey and Hughes 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Devron said:

What if those picks didn’t turn out though. I’m just wondering do people just expect them to work everytime. I guess for me personally I have a hard time with that. We’ve needed a RH defencemen for god know how long but now it’s too late to acquire one? Not only that but he’s 25/26 with RFA status. Like how often does that happen. After all these years we just say no now? 

I actually agree that draft picks are overrated but are still great capital. I think the optimal thing to do is create cap space, use cap space to absorb short term contracts to gain draft picks and then after we have stocked shelves start going hard in the paint to go after the prime years.

However who knows, apparently Hughes isn't willing to stick with a rebuilding team. He'd rather the team stick with the tried and true rebuild on the fly method of the last decade. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we do finish 8-10 do you think we might move that pick for a 22-25 year old centre, who can contribute now? 

Wouldn’t surprise me with this ownerships directive.

An 8-10 player will be 5-6 years away if they make it at all. Management has already shown they’re not willing to wait that long.

Which is why it’s baffling they’re allowing Tocchett to play Hughes 28+ minutes a night like they’re in a playoff hunt. It’s absurd. 

They need to sit him down and remind him of the teams long term goals. One of the top 3 centers in this draft will probably ensure he has a job for much longer.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

I think the Canucks D are going to produce a lot next year. The PP with Hughes (1) and Hronek (2) will produce goals. Really like what Kravtsov is capable of bringing as well. The size and speed, and the smarts. He and Podkolzin know each other so well, and I love that they're standing up for each other, building that chemistry. Podkolzin looks like a different player under Toicchet. Raty will continue to develop, he already has good size. They still need to switch out some D, but adding Hronek is a really good step.

I'm going to keep an eye on the NYI 1st and the 2nd we traded to DET. In a few years, will either one become a better player than Hronek? Time will tell. 

Just now, Devron said:

Like I totally understand that side of the coin but at the same time. These picks take 5 years to cook. If we don’t make trades like this we have to wait a long time. Maybe we still do if Hronek doesn’t work out or we can’t continue to build around the core guys. But full rebuild mode I don’t know. I don’t think it works when you have Petey and Hughes 

I hear ya, but the picks are not gonna take 5 years to pan out typically. That's more of a, 4th round and beyond thing.

Someone pointed out earlier, Hronek was contributing to Detroit within 2 years. On our side of the fence, Podz is here now, Hogz has been here and is looking real good in the AHL right now. I think a 5 year time table is not the standard esp when talking rounds 1-3. I may be wrong though I have been known for that 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

However who knows, apparently Hughes isn't willing to stick with a rebuilding team. He'd rather the team stick with the tried and true rebuild on the fly method of the last decade. 

I think that’s the problem that most fans see. Because it’s been tried and failed a couple times. 

The difference to me is this management group is doing a retool without over spending. We have 7 picks in this draft. Which is what you start with. We have 2 high end prospects added to that and a top 4 defencemen. 

That’s NEVER happened with the last management group.

The spent and left bigger holes in other areas 

• Cheers 1