The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is what the GMs tell you to sell season tickets next year but these late season runs are just delaying the return to legitimate contender. 
‘It is different if you are a team purposely built, and starting the climb up to respectability. We are haphazardly built, throw in latest first rounder every third year when we haven’t traded it away for shortcut, add some more UFAs to fix the gaps in the system created by trading away all of our pics and then change coach every other year for a coaching bump that is equivalent to a sugar high at the end of the year. 

Patience Grassdoctor.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And yet you're the one choosing to engage and make it personal. I see your posts all the time, sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't, and yet the only time you ever hear from me is when you choose to engage. 

There's a lot of takes you're never going to agree with but for the most part we're talking hockey around here, not morality, ethics, or something more substantial. You don't have to agree, but you don't have to engage either. Life is easier when you live and let live. 

Oh thank you so much wise coconut.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

We do not have to be a complete team this year; and maybe not even next.

Please report on needs and solutions after TDL 2024.

This is also not a rose-coloured etc; it is proper development and cap management.

e.g. JR said we were not going to give away assets to make moves this year.

Then he traded a first and 2 seconds and destroyed any chance of cap space for win now moves at the end of a dead season. 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Then he traded a first and 2 seconds and destroyed any chance of cap space for win now moves at the end of a dead season. 

Did you miss the discussion which concluded that we were right to acquire a needed RHD while we had the chance.

We've been waiting and waiting for a good young RHD, the Islanders pick was not necessarily a 2023 1st, etc.

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

So you're expecting a professional coach and former player to be on board with not doing the best they can do?  They are professionals and they are competitors......they're not wired that way.

I do get exactly where you coming from and understand it and agree with it, but I'm tired of feeling miserable around this team and it feels good to feel good about them. 

They're not going to fall so far that they aren't going to get a fantastic player, the top 15 in this draft is just too deep not to.  So, I'm going to cheer for wins, be more than fine if they don't win, and just accept the chips where they fall because they are getting a top notch piece one way or the other.

Gratitude is good for mental health.

We have some amazing young talent, and still have a lottery pick in a deep draft.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Did you miss the discussion which concluded that we were right to acquire a needed RHD while we had the chance.

We've been waiting and waiting for a good young RHD, the Islanders pick was not necessarily a 2023 1st, etc.

No guarantee Hronek will click but chances are good, he will do his best - as he heads into his RFA.  Will the RFA carrot be enough to keep him focus and become a difference maker ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

I didn't see any previous discussion in the past year where anyone said we need a young RHD "but only with the following limitations:" ;)

I know most of us here are hardcore fans that are more concerned about whether they will see us hoist a cup in their lifetimes.  But there's also a part of me that wants to enjoy entertaining hockey and be able to watch players like Petey and Quinn in their prime.  Down the stretch they have provided that.  I've been going to more games in the later half of the season.  Just got 3 lower bowl seats for the game tmmr. in the corner row 18 for a total of 149 bucks.  Take advantage of this while you can.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

At this point, JR's words should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is what the GMs tell you to sell season tickets next year but these late season runs are just delaying the return to legitimate contender. 
‘It is different if you are a team purposely built, and starting the climb up to respectability. We are haphazardly built, throw in latest first rounder every third year when we haven’t traded it away for shortcut, add some more UFAs to fix the gaps in the system created by trading away all of our pics and then change coach every other year for a coaching bump that is equivalent to a sugar high at the end of the year. 

The team and season ticket holders are ok, with the current strategy of chasing the mediocre middle cause it is still very profitable vs winning a Cup.  Nothing will change and the gamble on Hronek for a capped out team proves that the strategy to build up a roster since Gillis has been the same: FA & trades for futures.  Having a prospect pool is the hedge but Francesco wants the playoff $.  I wonder who/what will be the cap casuality: selling low on Boeser, extending OEL's stay in the books through a buy out, trading premium picks to clean up cap mess (just like JB) and etc ?  Been the same movie since 2013 and the downside to the current strategy of chasing the playoff $ or the mediocre middle, is what we are all seeing now.  Anyways, the feel good meaningless wins to rise to the mediocre middle, in ANOTHER losing season will continue...

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yet another iteration of “if we can drop many millions in cap we can build a team that ‘might’ be able to squeak into the playoffs.”

1.  Dropping almost $17 million in cap with Pearson, Myers, Garland, Poolman isn’t just a “no problem” thing.  The team has been trying to shed cap since they got hired and have utterly failed.  Yet somehow in another cap strapped offseason you just figure we can do it no problem.  If we could move those players, we would have moved those players.

2.  We also have overages from this year to account for.

3.  You are assuming we just happen to get two of the top D free agents on the market and both for under market value.  Why on earth would they want to come to one of the worst performing teams in the league and make much less money for the privilege.

4.  Even if we magically got those guys to sign those deals, we can’t do it anyways because we don’t have the cap space the season after that for the extra $6-7 million in raises that will be owed to Petterson and Hronek.

5.  Even with all the nonsense assumptions you made, that is a thin roster relying on a bunch of unproven rookies contributing in significant roles.

6.  The goal is the Stanley Cup, not praying that a bunch of things go right just to get a couple of home playoff dates in a first round loss.

Regarding #6, I think that is the goal for the owner.

They probably make 10 million dollars for three home games in a first round alone.

12 minutes ago, jyu said:

Regarding #6, I think that is the goal for the owner.

They probably make 10 million dollars for three home games in a first round alone.

Francesco said it in this article:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/569255

Cause the playoff chase strategy, is really about chasing the playoff $ strategy, at whatever cost.  Plus, Francesco is still profitable despite, the mediocre results.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • There it is 1

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yet another iteration of “if we can drop many millions in cap we can build a team that ‘might’ be able to squeak into the playoffs.”

1.  Dropping almost $17 million in cap with Pearson, Myers, Garland, Poolman isn’t just a “no problem” thing.  The team has been trying to shed cap since they got hired and have utterly failed.  Yet somehow in another cap strapped offseason you just figure we can do it no problem.  If we could move those players, we would have moved those players.

2.  We also have overages from this year to account for.

3.  You are assuming we just happen to get two of the top D free agents on the market and both for under market value.  Why on earth would they want to come to one of the worst performing teams in the league and make much less money for the privilege.

4.  Even if we magically got those guys to sign those deals, we can’t do it anyways because we don’t have the cap space the season after that for the extra $6-7 million in raises that will be owed just to Petterson and Hronek.

5.  Even with all the nonsense assumptions you made, that is a thin roster relying on a bunch of unproven rookies contributing in significant roles.

6.  The goal is the Stanley Cup, not praying that a bunch of things go right just to get a couple of home playoff dates in a first round loss.

All good points - but you miss the biggest x factor in a season: injuries.

Appreciate long time fans don’t want to get their hopes up, only to see a similar result as before. It’s like refusing to date again after a breakup. It’s easier to be cynical, because either you’re right (this won’t work), or your team succeeds (which is what you really want). You’re protecting yourself from being disappointed again.

• Cheers 1