The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

8 years of dead cap penalties.

At what point do you choose the lesser of two evils though? There's con's to not buying him out too. 

If a more serviceable or effective player could take his roster spot for less money, then why keep him on the team. He's not playing anywhere near an $8m dollar player. Brisbois looks like a better player right now for christ sake lol. OEL underlying numbers are terrible too, so if someone else could take his spot why wouldn't you? You shouldn't force a player into a roster spot just because they are expensive. If they hurt the team, they shouldn't be on it. Our blueline has looked just fine without him.....ACTUALLY they've looked better.

image.png.c4c81fa1d0f4b0d9c1b037d4746d1c59.png

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Canucks are 5-2-1 in their last 8, up against Anaheim next and some easy opponents in the next few games. Absolutely classic ruining the tank but we're better than our record suggests. 

Got a feeling we'll be picking 10-12th overall instead of snagging a gem like the top 3, Benson or Smith. Better pick Reinbacher and be happy with it.

Well we can certainly do a lot worse than running away with Reinbacher...

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

At what point do you choose the lesser of two evils though? There's con's to not buying him out too. 

If a more serviceable or effective player could take his roster spot for less money, then why keep him on the team. He's not playing anywhere near an $8m dollar player. Brisbois looks like a better player right now for christ sake lol. OEL underlying numbers are terrible too, so if someone else could take his spot why wouldn't you? You shouldn't force a player into a roster spot just because they are expensive. If they hurt the team, they shouldn't be on it. Our blueline has looked just fine without him.....ACTUALLY they've looked better.

image.png.c4c81fa1d0f4b0d9c1b037d4746d1c59.png

How is that the lesser of two evils?  OEL will be back to being a solid dman now that they have a good defensive system and demko back.  Hard to be effective when there is no defensive structure and your goalies combined save % is in the .880's.

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller and/or Boeser, same as Ive always thought.

Ok. Miller will be impossible to move. Boeser also not easy. 

Trading Miller creates a big hole in the middle for a team that has designs for the playoffs. 

IMO, Myers and Garland are easier targets to trade. 

43 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Why?

That’s a move with little regard for the future. For all we know, he could be gone in two years, right when OEL’s buyout penalty becomes significant and it becomes somebody else’s problem. 

O isn’t what he once was. But if he feels 100%, we give him a go on the bottom pairing. He can still think the game at a high level just can’t execute physically as he did before.  If he is never 100%, let him sit on LTIR as long as he needs. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, jyu said:

Ok. Miller will be impossible to move. Boeser also not easy. 

Trading Miller creates a big hole in the middle for a team that has designs for the playoffs. 

IMO, Myers and Garland are easier targets to trade. 

Why will Miller be impossible to move?  Pittsburgh reportedly wanted him at the deadline and that is still, allegedly, a possibility......according to the SN panel between periods.  Depending on what they could get back, they can use those assets to find a 2C.

If Boeser finishes hard, he will be moveable, imo, they just won't get much for him and will have to take on cap or retain.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

How is that the lesser of two evils?  OEL will be back to being a solid dman now that they have a good defensive system and demko back.  Hard to be effective when there is no defensive structure and your goalies combined save % is in the .880's.

I would argue that while our backup goalies have been far from great, at least part of that poor save percentage is due to the shambolic play of the defense in front of them. We’ve given up so many grade A scoring chances that any goalie would have trouble stopping. 

Lately, those defensive breakdowns have become less egregious and Demko has also been playing great, which I hope the team can maintain in to next season. 

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Itll be Boeser, Myers and maybe even Garland.... And at one point OEL packaged with a prospect and pick. 

I don't think theyll sacrifice prospects to move people out, especially Myers who will have actual value at the tdl.  Why would they pay to move him when they can wait 5 months and get paid to move him.

OEL has a NMC, so it would be way to expensive to move him and he'll be back to being a solid dman under the new system.  I think they have to ride out two seasons with OEL and then decide what to do.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why will Miller be impossible to move?  Pittsburgh reportedly wanted him at the deadline and that is still, allegedly, a possibility......according to the SN panel between periods.  Depending on what they could get back, they can use those assets to find a 2C.

If Boeser finishes hard, he will be moveable, imo, they just won't get much for him and will have to take on cap or retain.

Allvin denied there were any offers for miller. 

Boeser with retention? Maybe possible. 

2 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I would argue that while our backup goalies have been far from great, at least part of that poor save percentage is due to the shambolic play of the defense in front of them. We’ve given up so many grade A scoring chances that any goalie would have trouble stopping. 

Lately, those defensive breakdowns have become less egregious and Demko has also been playing great, which I hope the team can maintain in to next season. 

Completely disagree........it was a combination of a non existent defensive system and horrible goaltending.

Just now, jyu said:

Allvin denied there were any offers for miller. 

Boeser with retention? Maybe possible. 

C'mon, do you really believe anything coming out of the mouths of this management group?  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Completely disagree........it was a combination of a non existent defensive system and horrible goaltending.

I don't think we completely disagree on this one... I'm just being unnecessarily diplomatic about it!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Francesco owns a conglomerate and the money can be moved around depending on the jurisdiction, so I don't think Francesco is NOT losing any money.  Plus, with a legit contender, a new sell out streak will start and all the SUPPOSED LOSSES will be replaced quickly.  The Canucks, is not a small business...

It is kinda natural to speculate on the finances of Canuck ownership. I have seen them all. Just a few; the crookedness of Scanlan, the heartfelt goodwill (but no money) of the Griffith, the calculated indifference of McCaw and then the Acquillini’s. IMHO the Acquillini family have been the best owners hands down. They have funded the team to the max every year. Many complain that they interfere with operations. They would be fools if they did not demand accountability and they don’t strike me as fools. Fans yes. To an extent I see educating ownership and fans to the intricacies of hockey management as a priority. 

suggesting the family can easily shift assets to their advantage oversimplifies a process that have much longer timelines. Not knowing the corporate structure or the tax regulations I have always wondered if player contracts could be amortized against other corporate assets? ie Can OEL’s contract be written off against condo profits in Chilliwack? 

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

We have good players - management just has to do their job and make a few trades to get cap compliment.  

Buyouts for both Boeser and Garland are doable as a last resort but come on.  That shouldn’t have to be the solution. 

We've been trying to trade these bums for two years. As others have mentioned if it was so easy it would be done and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Hopefully it's as easy as a lot of people seem to think. We shall see. I would be very happy to be wrong.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Will he though? That's a pretty big assumption. He has been nothing short of awful this year. He looks slow, beat up, and bored.

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It is kinda natural to speculate on the finances of Canuck ownership. I have seen them all. Just a few; the crookedness of Scanlan, the heartfelt goodwill (but no money) of the Griffith, the calculated indifference of McCaw and then the Acquillini’s. IMHO the Acquillini family have been the best owners hands down. They have funded the team to the max every year. Many complain that they interfere with operations. They would be fools if they did not demand accountability and they don’t strike me as fools. Fans yes. To an extent I see educating ownership and fans to the intricacies of hockey management as a priority. 

suggesting the family can easily shift assets to their advantage oversimplifies a process that have much longer timelines. Not knowing the corporate structure or the tax regulations I have always wondered if player contracts could be amortized against other corporate assets? ie Can OEL’s contract be written off against condo profits in Chilliwack? 

Only Francesco can truly answer the question but he will surely pay for the gambles, whether they work out or not.  Basically, the Aquillinis' are not running a small business and they can afford the very best.  

I can agree, that I also prefer the Aquillinis' over the previous owners cause of the way they had funded the team but the current strategy of chasing the playoff $, has forced the team to burn through assets & cap space; and we had seen the downside of the gamble: a capped out team stuck in NHL Purgatory.  Pro sports is a very public business and just like: the players, coaches, FO staff & etc, the Aquillinis' had open themselves up for public scrutiny: they both deserve the praise & criticism based on how the team performs.  Right now - the team is capped out and a bottom dweller with a shallow prospect pool.  Anyways, I understand that nothing will change cause chasing the playoff $, will always be priority #1 and more shortsighted gambles are going to happen.  Plus, there is still enough fans supporting the mess (just read the postings of some) - and I can understand where most of them are coming from cause me & my friends where very much like them - fanatic about the Canucks.  We have been fans for 40 plus years and it would be nice to win a cup cause other teams has shown that there is a better way, to win a cup in a hard cap league.  And we had seen for almost a decade now, that chasing the mediocre middle, is not a winning strategy cause we had seen the downside - but the endeavor in the Vancouver market, is still very profitable despite the yearly results, otherwise, Francesco would had changed how the team builds up the roster, long ago.

Edited by ShawnAntoski