Height 6.02 -- Weight 200 [188 cm/91 kg]

Cap Hit of $7,250,000 to 2026-27 (UFA)

Seth Jones

Defense -- shoots R
Born Oct 3 1994 -- Arlington, TX
[28 yrs. ago]
Height 6.04 -- Weight 213 [193 cm/97 kg]

Cap Hit of $9,500,000 to 2029-30 (UFA)

Seth Jones is 28 year old. He doesn't fit with CHI rebuild time line and it costs too much money to keep him for nothing in the next 3-4 years.

He is wasting his prime time and no cup hope till 33-35 year old only if CHI can draft Towes/Kane etc. quality prospect again.

Maybe CHI should move him and regain some cap flexiblity?

Shall we do it? add sweetener?

Jones 29 at start of next season with 5yrs X 9.5 million big no for me we already are up against cap and another older player big pass.

We need to make cap room and surround key players we have now with cheaper D men under 5 million.

Hughes  23 -LD- ____- Maybe Livingstone 23, 6'4 RD -- Hope we can sign his after college season at end of March maybe sooner?

Hronek 25 -RD ______. Would be nice to find a big LD man like Graves 6'5, 225 lbs grit, toughness defensive guy ? 4.3--4.8 million

Bear   25 -RD ___ resign 1 yr X 2.2 million show me more

Johnasson 23 RD -SHL - should be coming to NA soon maybe play some games in Abby. Could make team next season?

Juulsen 25--- RD - Has looked good this season

Brisebois 25 LD - sign 2 more years - Has looked good

Wolanin -27 LD - has looked good also

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We had the perfect partner for Hughes in Tanev. We could have just kept him at 4x4. Nope. We went to Schmidt at 6 and then OEL at 7.2. Imagine going to Jones at 9.5. More than twice what Tanev would have signed for to stay. Benning very much struggled with identifying pro talent. I’m confident the new guys would never go for Jones. They are way too smart. They will either play OEL with Hronek and hope the latter can carry OEL. Or they will buyout OEL because they believe he just can’t contribute anymore. And what he provides can be replaced by Brisebois for 750 k

Exactly this.  Juulsen next to Hughes has only been -1 once in the past 8 games.  With Demko's return and Quinn carrying, we could have a solid 1st pair (with Noah playing the role Schenn did) then hopefully OEL and Hronek can both be solid two-way D that can take turns attacking.  Having them as a solid big minute pair would be a win esp. if Filip really helps OEL defensively.

5 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Hindsight is 20/20 looking back at what could've, should've, would've been. It's done. 

Time to move on. 

Jones is not the answer. Neither is Nurse. 

My point was, these guys are very fortunate that they suckered their teams into paying them that money. 

They should thank their lucky stars. They're not that good. At all.

Quinn Hughes is elite. They are not. 

image.png.49ef1a002e500de8272715c366bd2f24.png

Somehow ended up on the all-star team this year though.  He made the team by default, but that is indeed a current all-star you are disrespecting!

It's funny to see everyone dismissing Jones.  We're giving up OEL for him.  We would actually be getting a useful, overpaid player in exchange for a useless, overpaid player on a slightly shorter contract.  It's a fairly lateral trade, but Jones at this point has far more upside than OEL does.  Does it make sense for Chicago to pull this trade?  No, but the argument is that OEL's contract is shorter and cheaper.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

image.png.49ef1a002e500de8272715c366bd2f24.png

Somehow ended up on the all-star team this year though.  He made the team by default, but that is indeed a current all-star you are disrespecting!

It's funny to see everyone dismissing Jones.  We're giving up OEL for him.  We would actually be getting a useful, overpaid player in exchange for a useless, overpaid player on a slightly shorter contract.  It's a fairly lateral trade, but Jones at this point has far more upside than OEL does.  Does it make sense for Chicago to pull this trade?  No, but the argument is that OEL's contract is shorter and cheaper.

Hahaha! Any way you spin it, him and Jones are massive overpayments and a huge waste of cap space. 

Neither one of them is anywhere near worth what they're making. 

You can have 'em. 

As far as OEL, let's see how he plays under the new coaches. For our sake, he at least plays a steady game. 

Edited by BarnBurner

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty close.  I already proposed a similar deal to Chicago and in return we get Connor Murphy.  But Chicago probably doesn't bite on that.  But to get rid of Jones and his $9.5 million contract for 7 more years, I can see them being interested.  Question is, will OEL go to Chicago?

I think buying out OEL next summer would be easier. And cheaper, (especially if a dman becomes available on the UFA market) . 

Six year cap penalty for OEL if we bought him out next summer in June 2024 would be:

2 years at 4.4M

4 years at 1.8M

Then Jones would be a cap dump not a trade. We'd have to get assets. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Hahaha! Any way you spin it, him and Jones are massive overpayments and a huge waste of cap space. 

Neither one of them is anywhere near worth what they're making. 

You can have 'em. 

As far as OEL, let's see how he plays under the new coaches. For our sake, he at least plays a steady game. 

Oh yes, they are both brutal contracts, but I think anyone watching hockey would prefer Jones at $9.5M over Ekman-Larsson at $7.1M.  "Prefer" being a fully relative term, but a lateral trade would be totally fine with me.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Oh yes, they are both brutal contracts, but I think anyone watching hockey would prefer Jones at $9.5M over Ekman-Larsson at $7.1M.  "Prefer" being a fully relative term, but a lateral trade would be totally fine with me.

I'm looking for value in the players/contract. He isn't a 9.5 mil a year player. 

Sure. He's a few years younger, but that's a LOT of cap to tie up until '29-'30. 

And I get it, people want to get rid of OEL's contract, but not at that price. Getting rid of one bad contract, to replace it with one that's even worse.

No thanks. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

I'm looking for value in the players/contract. He isn't a 9.5 mil a year player. 

Sure. He's a few years younger, but that's a LOT of cap to tie up until '29-'30. 

And I get it, people want to get rid of OEL's contract, but not at that price. Getting rid of one bad contract, to replace it with one that's even worse.

No thanks. 

I've suggested this could be trade we consider for awhile.   Agree it's a JB sort of thing too.   Best thing for the club still is OEL plays next year and returns to even 80% of his peak form.     Don't know how bad his ankle really is.  Guess we will find out one way or another by October what the team decides.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

No thanks. 

If you are looking to get anything of value in return for OEL, you simply won't.  As hard as it would be for Chicago to move Jones' contract, it is going to be even harder for us to move Ekman-Larsson.  This is because Jones is a solid D-man who is earning way too much money.  OEL is a bad D-man who has been healthy scratched whose only value exists if he gets a LTIR-type injury.  At least with Jones you know you're getting a decent two-way effort.

43 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If you are looking to get anything of value in return for OEL, you simply won't.  As hard as it would be for Chicago to move Jones' contract, it is going to be even harder for us to move Ekman-Larsson.  This is because Jones is a solid D-man who is earning way too much money.  OEL is a bad D-man who has been healthy scratched whose only value exists if he gets a LTIR-type injury.  At least with Jones you know you're getting a decent two-way effort.

I'm talking about the value of Jones's productivity compared to the cost. 

He's not worth 9.5 mil, and I wouldn't want us to tie up that much cap for that long. 

Not sure why you can't understand I don't give a frack about the OEL contract, or even trying to get rid of him. Let's see what he does with the new coaches. 

22 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about?

Our 2nd back in 2024

A 2nd round pick 2023

Seth Jones

For

OEL,

Myers

Boeser

Dermott

Pearson

Poolman

Hoglander

In: $9.5 Million

Out: $7.26 million LTIR

$6 Million

$6.65 Million

$1.5 Million IR

$3.325 Million LTIR

$2.5  Million LTIR

$0.891 Million

So $13.55 Million plus $14.51 in LTIR and IR.

:lol:

0F8CB694-9D0C-4DBD-A9E2-0965C71DE01E.jpeg

• Haha 1

Amazing how we're finding a way to just keep the bad cap rolling. Sign Myers and LE years ago and these big bad 6M deals could be haunting us for a decade if we keep flipping it.

I would trade a 2nd to get rid of OEL's deal, or buy him out in the next couple of years, otherwise we just saddle him to the 3rd pairing and admit our losses.