The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I never said anything about the core. Defense is my biggest concern going forward. Specifically right shot dmen. 

We filled our #2 D spot (a core role) with a 25 year old, excellent, right shot guy. 
The supporting cast can be filled via free agency and other trades. Tampa won back to back Cups with a D group that only had one of their own drafted players, Hedman. We are very close. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We filled our #2 D spot (a core role) with a 25 year old, excellent, right shot guy. 
The supporting cast can be filled via free agency and other trades. Tampa won back to back Cups with a D group that only had one of their own drafted players, Hedman. We are very close. 

I still think we need one more top left shot dman behind Hughes. OEL doesn't cut it. Plus another right handed dman. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I still think we need one more top left shot dman behind Hughes. OEL doesn't cut it. Plus another right handed dman. 

We agree. We need a right shot, defensive minded 3C too. But IMHAO we can fill those roles via free agency and (or) trades. We are very close. 

8 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Clearly a few haven’t been told the horse (errr tank) is dead / not realistic!

over it dead horse GIF

Tank is still alive and well if we can land in that 6-9 range.

At those spots we at least have a chance at the top two and if not then maybe a top player like Michkov slips.

That’s what this has always been about. Some people can’t seem to grasp anything other than Bedard or bust though. :lol:

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

3 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

None of this garbage will matter when they start the season 2-7-1 next season, also all the people happy about these wins are ok with being mediocre and not having any star players on their team, the top 5 in this draft are star players, something the Canucks roster does not have right now

Umm petey? Hughes? 

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

None of this garbage will matter when they start the season 2-7-1 next season, also all the people happy about these wins are ok with being mediocre and not having any star players on their team, the top 5 in this draft are star players, something the Canucks roster does not have right now

What!!??? EP is turning into a superstar,  and miller, kuz, Hughes, Demko are elite. Give your head a shake. 

• There it is 1

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So the crystal ball might need cleaning. 

I love the "as suspected" part.

I, too, am glad it's others making the decisions.

First post I looked back on, just to see how accurate this statistical wizard is at predicting things. 

Good job. But uh that post was 10/13/2022, when JT Miller was indeed sucking a$$.  So I don't think it proves your point... if you have one that is (yikes, sorry mean post again but you started it).

I'm no statistical wizard by the way. I love it and use it but no wizard. Wizard is someone who is really good at it.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We agree. We need a right shot, defensive minded 3C too. But IMHAO we can fill those roles via free agency and (or) trades. We are very close. 

The one thing I think will help this team to remain being focused is Tochett. I don't think he is going to allow them to come out soft and unfocused. So I am optimistic that way. 

• Like 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

At those spots we at least have a chance at the top two and if not then maybe a top player like Michkov slips.

That’s what this has always been about. Some people can’t seem to grasp anything other than Bedard or bust though. :lol:

Lots of very good players are drafted 10-15 too. And how many years before the guy we draft (except Bedard) is ready to make an impact on our club? 3-5? 
We are good right now and will add supporting cast players who can help us be even better. The players we draft this June will be pushing for spots in 3-5 years. We need to continue to retool now and draft guys who will fill roles down the road. 
Or, you’re a fan who believes our core isn’t good enough. And that means rebuild. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The one thing I think will help this team to remain being focused is Tochett. I don't think he is going to allow them to come out soft and unfocused. So I am optimistic that way. 

Me too. And like almost all of us here I very much liked Bruce. But clearly JR knew what he was talking about when he was critical of our lack of structure. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lots of very good players are drafted 10-15 too. And how many years before the guy we draft (except Bedard) is ready to make an impact on our club? 3-5? 
We are good right now and will add supporting cast players who can help us be even better. The players we draft this June will be pushing for spots in 3-5 years. We need to continue to retool now and draft guys who will fill roles down the road. 
Or, you’re a fan who believes our core isn’t good enough. And that means rebuild. 

Sure good players have been drafted there. How successful has this franchise been at finding players in that range? I’ll give you a hint, not very…

The reason we’ve got a good young core is largely based on drafting in the 5-7 range (Petey and Hughes).

That’s the type of players we need to keep adding to this core and that doesn’t mean rebuild. That’s the false thinking that has gotten this team into the trouble it’s in. They get a decent team and just stop building the future thinking that they need to go all in. Ultimately they end up not being good enough and having no help for the future.

If we can nab a player like Michkov he’ll likely be ready to step in and make an impact in three years. That’s about the time this team should be ready to contend if all goes well. Adding another star right as we’re beginning to peak would be invaluable. Enough to even put us over the top.

Edited by DeNiro
F
  • Like 1

Petey with 7 SOG...you know it's going to be a good day when Petey's activated like this. I think he was playing a bit ticked off at one point...which is always a dangerous thing for the other guys.

JT killed it in the dot. I think they got it wrong...I believe he went 13/15. I'll have to recheck that.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s what this has always been about. Some people can’t seem to grasp anything other than Bedard or bust though. :lol: from the tank! 

Outrun the tank! :P

dukes of hazzard show GIF

• Haha 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sure good players have been drafted there. How successful has this franchise been at finding players in that range? I’ll give you a hint, not very…

The reason we’ve got a good young core is largely based on drafting in the 5-7 range (Petey and Hughes).

That’s the type of players we need to keep adding to this core and that doesn’t mean rebuild. That’s the false thinking that has gotten this team into the trouble it’s in. They get a decent team and just stop building the future thinking that they need to go all in. Ultimately they end up not being good enough and having no help for the future.

If we can nab a player like Michkov he’ll likely be ready to step in and make an impact in three years. That’s about the time this should be ready to contend if all goes well. Adding another star right as we’re begging to peak would be invaluable. Enough to even put us over the top.

Drafting another Petey and Hughes? Heck they’re both arguably top 5 at their positions in the league. Love to get Michkov. He’d be an awesome add in three years.