The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks | Mar. 26, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

As opposed to last year when we were very close as evidenced by the success since having a coach who brought the fun back to the game. 
‘Hot streaks when the pressure off and coaching bumps don’t tell you the team is ready to contend. Just look at the last decade. 
‘Remove the Benning stink by acting like Benning?  Burning assets to get rid of the bad contracts you signed last time to bid on more UFAs you will need to burn assets to get rid of. Trade off high pics for players in line for big contracts that you already don’t have the cap to sign.  
How about we develop some players, not get them burning off their ELCs before they are ready for the NHL and have some players on cost controlled contracts when your stars need re-upping. Now we need to squeeze in JTM and Kuz’s contracts next year and EP’s and Hronek’s massive extensions the following year, but that is okay because with some buyouts we can add a couple expensive depth players next year and not worry about all that because we may be able to squeak into a wild card spot.

Still wrong. New management moved Bo in a fantastic team building trade. We returned a first that was widely flipped for a core piece (Hronek) a top line winger (New Beau) and an elite centre prospect. We will buyout OEL and dumperoo Garland. Myers we will trade after his bonus. That’s 18 mil in cap cleared for next season. Our core is great! Our supporting cast is being retooled. Cup parades soon. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

There are many works need to be done. Cap issue/draft/trade.. I agree we have several very good players.  However, for the roster we have now, I simply can't see we are a contender. Barely making playoff is not our goal. 

Edited by tan

13 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

None of this garbage will matter when they start the season 2-7-1 next season, also all the people happy about these wins are ok with being mediocre and not having any star players on their team, the top 5 in this draft are star players, something the Canucks roster does not have right now

Gene Kelly Violin GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, tan said:

Unfortunately, the team whe have right now, even under Coach T, we are a barely play off team next year. Yeah, we look good in the last dozen games by beating lowly teams. but we are not caliber of Bos, Car, or Col. Not even mentioning contender. we are missing at least 2-4 important pieces.

We are missing 2-4 supporting role pieces. We have the core and it’s fantastic. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, tan said:

There are many works need to be done. Cap issue/draft/trade.. I agree we have several very good players.  However, for the roaster we have now, I simply can't see we are a contender. Barely making playoff is not our goal. 

Wrong. The core we have is fabulous. They are younger too. We have the hardest pieces to get in place. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Who's Cor? If you mean Colorado we match up pretty well against them.

And making statements like this, like they're factual, doesn't make them so. 

These are "you think/feel" statements. 

We are missing a piece or two. But you undermine the importance of what is happening here and how this team is very capable if they work hard and don't dog it. We have some of the league's best in Petey, Quinn, Demko.....add Miller, Kuz. With them building this chemistry and changing the culture, those stuck on "we're not" are not keeping up with the team. 

We talking the Bruce bump or the Tocchet one, I lose track of which year believing the end of year hot streak is finally going to work into the next.

8 minutes ago, tan said:

There are many works need to be done. Cap issue/draft/trade.. I agree we have several very good players.  However, for the roster we have now, I simply can't see we are a contender. Barely making playoff is not our goal. 

I agree with this except the last sentence. Barely making the playoffs is the biggest goal if it happens quicker.  
Our plan is scrape in and hope our amazing, injury prone goalie is hot at the right time and can stay healthy through an entire season of being overplayed and an entire playoff run. 

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

We talking the Bruce bump or the Tocchet one, I lose track of which year believing the end of year hot streak is finally going to work into the next.

That's a jaded view though...that's people who have it embedded that it's the same old.

What about the additions in the roster? You've failed to factor them in?

And both...Bruce then Tocchet. They both played a role in helping Petey and Quinn become what we're seeing them blossom as. Miller under Tocchet...you don't see a glimmer of hope? Demko's back and healthy....that sort of had to be penciled in to the demise of this year. I see guys going to bat for one another and outhitting their opponents. That's a little different. This ever important "culture" we kept hearing about seems to be changing. Work ethic driving that.

Dumbing it down like you've done, for me, shows that you're (rightfully) beat down but that doesn't mean things are as hopeless as presented. Time will tell I guess. But I've always thought these guys had the potential and capability to be better than what we saw. So maybe it's just homer, hopeful me. I've been right before though (with the naysayers about JT)...so I believe in my team and my take.

I'd like to see a few more changes, sure. But this gloom and doom is really a closed minded view of things. "Here we go again" stuff...but there are good things happening and denying them to sell the story is what I see taking place.

Dakota Joshua has 15 goals in his NHL career, and this year he has 11 under Tocchet, so far.

Aman and DiGiuseppe have been really good as well. Tocchet is getting the most out of the team, and he'll be the coach next year. Training camp will start early for most of these players and next year is going to be fun. They were already too far back in the standings after Bruce coached his last game. 

As for Bedard. What do you do? He's only one player and every team wants him. I will say, I'll be glad once the lottery is done, so some can stop whining about the wins.

This is who we cheer for. Go Canucks Go. 

1 hour ago, tan said:

Unfortunately, the team whe have right now, even under Coach T, we are a barely play off team next year. Yeah, we look good in the last dozen games by beating lowly teams. but we are not caliber of Bos, Car, or Col. Not even mentioning contender. we are missing at least 2-4 important pieces.

The team as is with Demko back is a playoff team next year. Bring back Mikheyev and add Gavrikov and Barabshev, and we might just be contenders in the west.

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Weird that some take that view.

When I look back on my time as a fan of the team I have great memories. Maybe that's part of it though....what you take away from it all. While a cup is the destination, the journey can be pretty great too...even if you don't arrive there. 

There's disappointment, sure, but sometimes we set ourselves up for that. Take the good moments along with the bad. Seeing Petey fired up and take the Hawks down...that was awesome. Even if it'll be punctuated by "we didn't get a cup".

Anyhow...this black cloud of negativity is one we can move away from if we take a few steps back and appreciate life. Not long ago COVID had us really questioning where we'd all be...cooped up. Everything shut down. For me, disappointment took on a whole new meaning and sweating this stuff is just wasting valuable time in my life. COVID hit me hard and I wasn't sure for a day or two there which way it would go. I am so happy to have a life that resembles "normal" again.

Cheers! Here's to a team that's giving us reason to smile ... even if it's in the moment.

I don't see it as weird at all.  Some people, like me, measure on results.

Have you ever been in Sales?

"I almost sold 10 cars today" - yeah, but Wilson sold 1 - so he's on the top of the leaderboard - not you.

Yes, all sports are "entertainment", and the Canucks have been entertaining plenty of times, but for me now at my age, "you're either first or you're last!".  (apologies to Breakfast Club fans).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The team as is with Demko back is a playoff team next year. Bring back Mikheyev and add Gavrikov and Barabshev, and we might just be contenders in the west.

You mean with Demko back to playing at the top of his game (cause he sucked all the way up until he went on ltir this season).

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

You mean with Demko back to playing at the top of his game (cause he sucked all the way up until he went on ltir this season).

Yes, the team as is right now, which includes Demko back and in form, not as was when he was playing hurt. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, jyu said:

I'll admit, sometimes I take this forum too seriously and I don't know why. Probably because the Canucks have been taking up a big part of my life for many many years.

My wife scoffs at me every time she sees me on here typing a long a$$ essay... spending sometimes half an hour writing utter nonsense in response to another poster's utter nonsense.

I think I will take it easy and sign out for a bit. My posts seem to be getting meaner and meaner as I find myself disagreeing with quite a few people here -- thanks for pointing that out by the way, I wouldn't have been able to catch myself. Maybe come back next season to celebrate the team's 15-game winning streak to start the season.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

Good old polarized CDC!!  It is a good thing that the team is coming together folks.  They have made some shorter term moves and therefore we need next year to go well.  Gelling under RT is an important step. 

You absolutely ARE allowed to feel disappointed that our draft position is being torpedoed however.  While it's great that the team is playing well, it is not great that it's resulting in points.

I'm not buying that Petey is some fragile little baby.  He's not going to have his career derailed just because we didn't squeak out a few meaningless games.  

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, tan said:

I mean,  we did beat Dallas twice as of late,  the leafs,  and la.  We played real well in losses to Boston, lv, and Minnesota.

I do agree though,  we need a 2nd pair ld,  and a 3c pretty badly.  I am confident that PA can get that done though.

• Cheers 2