The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Avalanche sign Sam Malinski

42 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

..? 

Manson's 6'3, Toew's 6'1, 2x Johnson's 6'1 and 6'3. Makar is really strong. Not sure what you are talking about. That is more muscle than what we are acing on our blueline... 

Makar, Byram, Girard, Malinski. Are you thinking that is a big defensive core? Toews at 6’1” isn’t considered big. Johnson and Johnson are literally on their last legs. 

33 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Let's all keep in mind that players like Noah Juulsen were getting picked in the first round while guys like Malinski went undrafted once or twice. 

For every Chris Tanev, there are 10 Brogan Raffertys

I'm happy to see new prospects added to the system, but we shouldn't lose track of the big picture of where guys like Hirose, Livingston, and Malinski fit. 

Impaired vision has held BR back, not impaired talent.

I watched a lot of his Utica games,  and also this last winter here in the Coachella Valley .... he excels in the AHL, but mainly because the pace is slower, the puck and player aren't on his (semi) blind side as quickly as in the NHL.

I've often thought he should revert to being a forward 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Aren’t many doesn’t mean zero. 

Nice write up though. :)

Just bored and it seemed fun. 

I think there is a really good crop of RHD in the first few rounds this year compared to other years. Unfortunately we don't have any 2nd round picks. There may be as many as 7 or 8 RHD picked in the 2nd. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Huggy Bear thinks Juulsen's a top 4 D

(I can't find the postgame comments, but iirc was after the 2nd or 3rd game together after the callup)

So Juulsen went from being a career AHL’er to a top 4 Dman in the NHL in less than 3 months?  

Where is this interview where my Huggy bear is saying these words?  

44 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Let's all keep in mind that players like Noah Juulsen were getting picked in the first round while guys like Malinski went undrafted once or twice. 

Keep in mind Juulsen took two pucks to the face in 1 game ocular nerve damage can hamper ones development. 

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are will still praying that Woo is an NHL player? 

Johansson was only obtained last summer. He still has to come to North America and prove he can play in the NHL. 

Johansson has less to prove than the NCAA prospects IMO, playing in a pro league.  What's left to be seen is if he can translate to the smaller ice.  Juulsen and Woo are still in the mix and have (by all accounts) progressed nicely this season.  Don't think RHD is as pressing though we don't have much in the high end RHD, we have some interesting options moving forward.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We needed a top 4 RHD…

Hronek and Myers right now, hronek and Johansson next season.  Like you, I've been concerned about the d, but with the new defensive system, thehronek trade and all the Abby guys playing so well, I'm not as concerned as I was

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Juulsen went from being a career AHL’er to a top 4 Dman in the NHL in less than 3 months?  

Where is this interview where my Huggy bear is saying these words?  

I never thought juulsen was a career AHL'er, I was very happy when that trade was made. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Hronek and Myers right now, hronek and Johansson next season.  Like you, I've been concerned about the d, but with the new defensive system, thehronek trade and all the Abby guys playing so well, I'm not as concerned as I was

Myers is fine as kind as he’s on the 3rd pairing. If he is playing anything over 15-16 minutes a night then that’s where the problems start. 

Johansson needs to play in the AHL first.  I’m not sure how he’s going to crack the top 4. Are you suggesting he’s going to play with Hughes next year?  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Myers is fine as kind as he’s on the 3rd pairing. If he is playing anything over 15-16 minutes a night then that’s where the problems start. 

Johansson needs to play in the AHL first.  I’m not sure how he’s going to crack the top 4. Are you suggesting he’s going to play with Hughes next year?  

He is playing excellent hockey right now, easily top 4 level.  Johansson isn't some rookie, he's an excellent dman in a league more competitive than the AHL

Edited by stawns

5 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Johansson has less to prove than the NCAA prospects IMO, playing in a pro league.  What's left to be seen is if he can translate to the smaller ice.  Juulsen and Woo are still in the mix and have (by all accounts) progressed nicely this season.  Don't think RHD is as pressing though we don't have much in the high end RHD, we have some interesting options moving forward.

I agree. The NCAA players get hyped up every year. Johansson was a 1st round pick. He is a much better prospect than any of the NCAA Dman that went undrafted. 

Rather than rush his development, I’d rather see him anchoring the top pairing in the AHL for a year. And then go from there. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

(I can't find the postgame comments, but iirc was after the 2nd or 3rd game together after the callup)

Huggy is a leader. Pumping tires of guys on callups is what leader's do. Good for Juulsen getting the call and playing well. He deserves a pat on the back. What a road he has traveled to get here.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

He is playing excellent hockey right now, easily top 4 level.  Johansson isn't some rookie, he's an excellent dman in a league more competitive than the AHL

Chris Faber disagrees with you. He says Johansson is weak defensively and needs to start in the AHL.  He is also not a great skater either. His skating also needs improvement. 

He’s not anywhere close to being a top 4 Dman in the NHL. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/inside-filip-johanssons-promising-shl-season-canucks-ca-prospect-rankings-8

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Avs also signed Polin (NCAA goals leader) yesterday.

Pretty good work by Colorado. Malinski and Polin were two of this year’s top free agents. Similar quality signings to Hirose and Sasson. 

Still like our pair better. ;) 

Will be interesting to see who Vancouver grabs out of the European leagues between now and June 15th (signing deadline for transfer agreement leagues) and also if they will add any more college free agents, either in the coming weeks or after August 15th. Also could see some undrafted CHL overagers signed. Canucks did well with Bains last year and I expect they’ll dip their toes in the pool again this year.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chris Faber disagrees with you. He says Johansson is weak defensively and needs to start in the AHL.  He is also not a great skater either. His skating also needs improvement. 

He’s not anywhere close to being a top 4 Dman in the NHL. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/inside-filip-johanssons-promising-shl-season-canucks-ca-prospect-rankings-8

Yeah, I don't put a lot of stock in Canuck Smarmy

46 minutes ago, Googlie said:

PK Subban said Jordan was better than him too. Juulsen has been a fine depth addition. I think he can be a trusted 6/7 on a good team. If he actually becomes top 4, I'll dance in the street.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

PK Subban said Jordan was better than him too. Juulsen has been a fine depth addition. I think he can be a trusted 6/7 on a good team. If he actually becomes top 4, I'll dance in the street.

depends o how they structure the dcorps.......would you consider Schenn a top 4?  Yet he was a player who played very well beside Hughes and thus would be considered a "top 4"