The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Young Stars Classic to return to Penticton in September 2023 & 2024

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Kind of wish they'd swap out the Jets for the Kraken. Kraken are right there! It makes too much sense to have them in the tourney. Or, if you don't swap them out, just invite the Kraken up.

Penticton already has enough Krackheads. 

In all seriousness though would love to see more teams involved. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 3

This tournament needs an overhaul.  NCAA prospects are not allowed. Often European prospects are otherwise committed and the roster is filled out with guys they invite for the sole purpose of having  a roster. (Literally half of the players who attend never play in the Canucks system).

I am a big fan of our young prospects but for some reason this tournament has always been a bit of a disappointment. I understand that people who live in the Okanagan like it because they don't have a chance to see Canucks or their prospects outside of the lower mainland. Still. It is always a bit flat after it comes and goes.

Find a way to have all of the top prospects play or else scrap it. Small time and underwhelming in it's current format.

• Wat 2

26 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

This tournament needs an overhaul.  NCAA prospects are not allowed. Often European prospects are otherwise committed and the roster is filled out with guys they invite for the sole purpose of having  a roster. (Literally half of the players who attend never play in the Canucks system).

I am a big fan of our young prospects but for some reason this tournament has always been a bit of a disappointment. I understand that people who live in the Okanagan like it because they don't have a chance to see Canucks or their prospects outside of the lower mainland. Still. It is always a bit flat after it comes and goes.

Find a way to have all of the top prospects play or else scrap it. Small time and underwhelming in it's current format.

Heh yeah great...for you. :picard:

It's a lot of fun for kids who wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to attend a game where the players are in NHL jerseys. Maybe they make it, maybe they don't. But, it's an excellent family event for fans. If you don't like it, don't watch.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Heh yeah great...for you. :picard:

It's a lot of fun for kids who wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity to attend a game where the players are in NHL jerseys. Maybe they make it, maybe they don't. But, it's an excellent family event for fans. If you don't like it, don't watch.

I want the Canucks to support things that promote the game the brand and the team.  But I don't agree with mediocrity in any form in this organization.  Obviously you do.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

I want the Canucks to support things that promote the game the brand and the team.  But I don't agree with mediocrity in any form in this organization.  Obviously you do.

It's a completely different experience, reaching fans in a live atmosphere, and a different event from what you think it's supposed to be. Its goal isn't to produce the best on-ice product possible, but give opportunities to both players and fans to experience something they wouldn't otherwise. And ignorance is also bliss, I guess. Entitled people will always think things should be their way.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

It's a completely different experience, reaching fans in a live atmosphere, and a different event from what you think it's supposed to be. Its goal isn't to produce the best on-ice product possible, but give opportunities to both players and fans to experience something they wouldn't otherwise. And ignorance is also bliss, I guess. Entitled people will always think things should be their way.

What?

I have just said that this is a sub par event and needs to be retooled to bring it up to the level it should be or else do something else.  Having 50% of the players be guys who have no connection to the team is disappointing.

Improve it or find another way to promote the young prospects.

Nothing wrong with that partner.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

What?

I have just said that this is a sub par event and needs to be retooled to bring it up to the level it should be or else do something else.  Having 50% of the players be guys who have no connection to the team is disappointing.

I am all for improvements, and they generally seem to be trying as they can. But to get rid of it altogether because it's not definitively better than it currently is, is wrong.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I am all for improvements, and they generally seem to be trying as they can. But to get rid of it altogether because it's not definitively better than it currently is, is wrong.

Improve it or change it or scrap it.

The organization needs to be better in everything it does in order to compete with the great NHL organizations at the top of the standings.  Or we are kidding ourselves. Get better in every way.  Mediocrity is not acceptable in any form if you want to be competitive with the top teams and their exceptional organizations.

Why are the top teams at the top?

• Wat 2

10 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Improve it or change it or scrap it.

The organization needs to be better in everything it does in order to compete with the great NHL organizations at the top of the standings.  Or we are kidding ourselves. Get better in every way.  Mediocrity is not acceptable in any form if you want to be competitive with the top teams and their exceptional organizations.

Why are the top teams at the top?

Other NHL teams deal with the same situation as you first described. Other leagues, like the NCAA, have agreements in place with the NHL that prohibit their players from playing in NHL sanctioned games. These preseason tournaments aren't substantially higher levelled in other areas. In fact, the Canucks were one of the first teams to even have these prospect games encouraging other teams to get something together. Many, if not most NHL teams are actually lagging in that respect.

...just think, it's regularly in Penticton with Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg joining. So, clearly they aren't having their own local tournaments with other NHL teams.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe they should run two of these tournaments in parallel - the western Canada tourney, and the Pacific West tourney (Canucks, Krakheads, Sharts, f**king Quacks, and Drag Queens).

Though I can see the Canucks being the odd-ones out and the rest of the teams having their own jollies in an I-5 tourney.

Hey, don’t put the Drag Queens part of this… just call them Drag Kings instead…

Drag Race Wow GIF by Digital Spy

22 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

What?

I think that we will see 90% of this summer's roster be Canucks draft picks and signees.  

Goalies: 6'6 goalie we signed today, Koskenuevo, Ty Young (3 for 3) 

Defense: Caroll, Hirose, Schmiemman, Johansson, Jurmo, Petey 2.0, Gabrielson, Kirill  (8 for 8) 

Forwards: Klimovich, Forsell, Bloom, Raty, Sasson, Gardner... 

Plus we will have 7 new draft picks this summer, plus I'm forgetting some guys... 

Lots to be excited about with this tournament. I may try and make a trip out to the Okanagan to catch some games..

On 3/30/2023 at 4:28 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe they should run two of these tournaments in parallel - the western Canada tourney, and the Pacific West tourney (Canucks, Krakheads, Sharts, f**king Quacks, and Drag Queens).

Though I can see the Canucks being the odd-ones out and the rest of the teams having their own jollies in an I-5 tourney.

They have their own .....

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/7971108-2022-nhl-rookie-tournaments-preview-what-who-to-watch-for

• Cheers 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:24 PM, fanfor42 said:

Perhaps considering what the goal of the tournament is would have more of an impact on whether or not it should be called mediocre than the number of NHL prospects in attendance….

• 2 months later...

2023 Young Stars Schedule

GAME  MATCHUP  DATE  TIME 
Game 1    Winnipeg vs Edmonton   Fri, Sept. 15   4:00pm PT   
Game 2    Calgary vs Vancouver    Fri, Sept. 15    7:30pm PT   
EXHIBITION  Penticton Vees vs Chilliwack Chiefs  Sat, Sept. 16  2:00pm PT 
Game 3    Calgary vs Edmonton    Sat, Sept. 16   7:30pm PT   
Game 4    Vancouver vs Winnipeg    Sun, Sept. 17    2:00pm PT   
Game 5    Winnipeg vs Calgary  Mon, Sept. 18    11:00am PT   
Game 6    Vancouver vs Edmonton  Mon, Sept. 18    2:30pm PT   

On 3/30/2023 at 5:24 PM, fanfor42 said:

What? The NCAA rules and players obligated to play for teams in Europe is out of the NHL teams control. Petty whining for the sake of whining.

• There it is 1

• 2 months later...