The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST / 10PM EST, at Rogers Arena, why? Knock Out the Flames

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So none of the Russians are wearing the Pride jersey tonight. Podkolzin and Kravtsov are scratched and Kuzmenko is the only one left hung to dry. 

When I said it’s a real possibility that this would happen nobody believed me. 

According to Brian Burke, he is siding with the Russian players on this one. So anyone who is against Kuzmenko for not wearing the jersey is also against Brian Burke. 

To anyone that criticizes Kuzmenko (or any Russian player) on not wearing a pride jersey - there have been a few both here in CDC and in the general media, I would invite them to head to Kabul and lobby the Taliban for equal rights for women, then stand in the town square protesting women's exclusion from education (more or less).

For the record, I support everyone's rights to be who they are, how they wish to be in this world and the right for everyone to have an opportunity to speak their mind freely. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

Meaning if Kuz supported this his entire family in Russia would be persecuted - that's how their regime runs over there......

Silence is golden here. 

I've said the same thing about ovechkin and putin. You can't risk your family over this. Now the moment you open your mouth about religion or personal beliefs you are in a different case...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I doubt that. If he gets a hat trick, will the crowd cheer? 

There were people who wanted Provorov deported back to Russia over this.

Hopefully now that a Canuck is doing it, they realize how ridiculous those comments were.

And I'll cheer for a hat trick since I have him in a hockey pool :lol:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Devron said:

With Kuzmenko being a Russian there are legitimate safety reasons for him and his family regardless of their beliefs. 

OK.

Wasn’t aware Russia were threatening family members for oversea hockey players wearing Pride Jerseys.  Damn that’s rough.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So none of the Russians are wearing the Pride jersey tonight. Podkolzin and Kravtsov are scratched and so Kuzmenko is the only one left hung out to dry. 

When I said it’s a real possibility that this would happen nobody believed me. 

According to Brian Burke, he is siding with the Russian players on this one. So anyone who is against Kuzmenko for not wearing the jersey is also against Brian Burke. 

Burkie’s take on the matter was spot on.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What is the threat to his family or any Russians’ families if he wears a pride warm up sweater or tape on a stick or a sticker on his bumper? Has anyone in the government there said if you show one iota of support for LGBT people, you and you family will be burned at the stake?

Did the family wear it? Are they breaking stupid and insane Russian laws? 

Is Putin going to be tuning in to the Nucks-Flames game tonight?

Is he making a list and checking it twice? Gonna find out who’s supporting inclusivity on ice? (This works if you sing it too.)

Kuz is a great hockey player and seems to be a good person too, but I don’t support this act of cowardice, when LGBT people and their families have shown themselves to be far braver in the face of global opposition and persecution. 

But I’ll digress further here, because it’s a GDT thread and I don’t want to muck it up further with my criticisms. 

Good on the Organization and the rest of the players for their support. Bravo to them. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

People are willing to do many things, and Kuzmenko wasn't willing to risk his family's safety back home by doing something that's currently against the law. 

Provorov cited religion, Kuzmenko cited family. In any case, people should focus on the rest of the pride night that's going on tonight. Lots of events going on.  

If you invite 40 people to the party and one doesn't show up, you're not gonna cancel the party, sit around and mope around about the one person that's not there. 

Back to the game... Team Tank is going strong today! 

As it was mentioned back then, it was very possible Provorov stated religion when it wasn't the real reason.

Fwiw I have no problem with Kuzmenko's decision. Family comes first.

I just hope things don't get ugly.

• Cheers 3

Some games down the stretch against teams in the "mix" like LA Seattle Calgary  - actually interested in seeing how they do against these teams around top 12-16 range which will be teams they will need to handle if they want to make the playoffs in the next while.  Some of the these teams are "big and heavy" - teams which have always had the Canucks number so lets see what happens

Should be a pretty spirited game tonight - 4-2 Canucks if Demko can hold the fort a bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

There were people who wanted Provorov deported back to Russia over this.

Hopefully now that a Canuck is doing it, they realize how ridiculous those comments were.

And I'll cheer for a hat trick since I have him in a hockey pool :lol:

Provorov put his foot in it : "I respect everyone. I respect everybody’s choices. My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion,” 

If he leaves off the end part, it blows over. But russian orthodox? A state run religion who has been taken over and controlled by putin. 

Be silent, the night is not about you, its about the team and the rainbow+ community

19 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Considering the hate Provorov got, expect backlash.

If there isn't backlash here, that'd be good, but it would also expose people are willing to look the other way depending on who the player in question is.

Provorov stated religious reasons. So far Russian players who have opted out but didn't specifically state relegious reasons have got, more or less, a pass. 

Relegion is a stupid reason to pass, the fear of an evil dictator back home is much more reasonable. I'd still respect the crap out of him if he wore it, but as long as he doesn't state relegious reasons I won't jump to conclusions.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Provorov put his foot in it : "I respect everyone. I respect everybody’s choices. My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion,” 

If he leaves off the end part, it blows over. But russian orthodox? A state run religion who has been taken over and controlled by putin. 

Be silent, the night is not about you, its about the team and the rainbow+ community

People were calling for his deportation before he even gave a statement at all.

There are some people who will be mad regardless of what a player says or doesn't say.

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Provorov stated religious reasons. So far Russian players who have opted out but didn't specifically state relegious reasons have got, more or less, a pass. 

Relegion is a stupid reason to pass, the fear of an evil dictator back home is much more reasonable.

He was the first, it's possible he thought it was better to say that than bring up Russian laws (in fear of it creating more problems for any family he has in Russia).

Just now, Master Mind said:

He was the first, it's possible he thought it was better to say that than bring up Russian laws (in fear of it creating more problems for any family he has in Russia).

Sure, that's possible. But does it seem reasonable to be trying to make judgements based on maybes? He was judged on his words, not what ifs.