The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Sepultura said:

Enough of the winning crap!! Enough already!!!stop playing like it’s game 7 you losers!!! What a horrible, frustrating team!! I hate them!!! They can’t make the playoffs and they can’t lose enough to get a top 7 pick. What a bunch of nothing crap this team is

There is really not much anyone can do with Petey, Hughes, and Demko in the lineup. Scratching them would be too obvious of a tank job that will get Bettman on our ass. 

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Maybe it is just due to how bad our D is but Hirose looks like our 2nd best d men out there. 

The kid definitely has potential to be a regular sooner than anyone expects. 

I get big time young Chris Tanev vibes. Kids got a dart in his mouth out there in 3 on 3 overtime in his 3rd game 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1-d said:

It's probably the hardest bad habit to break with this team. They are so used to playing behind, not in front of, their goalie over the years. It may take a couple of years of Tocchet & co. make them play to win, instead of not to lose every night.

Not sure about this. I think the Canucks led the league in blown-lead losses this year.

I do believe Quinn will be the next Canucks captain.

Couple notes on that. I don’t think Petey wants it. He’s a leader on the ice and I think he just doesn’t want or need the media or holding players accountable on his plate. He has always played his best when he’s just head down and determined.

JT Miller. After hearing the comments about his praise for Quinn a few times recently. I think he’s kinda given him the reigns. JT will always be JT regardless of the letter. He seems to have a way with the younger players and wants them to succeed. I think this is his way of team building. Miller just wants to win. He will probably always be the most vocal guy in the room and on the ice but this is a young team and he knows that.

In conclusion. Imo Quinn Hughes is the next captain of the Vancouver Canucks 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Interesting to hear Tocchet's thoughts. I'm glad he's not happy with how we played defensively after going 2-0, we were dreadful.

Interesting to hear how coach-able Hirose is and how high they are on him. Makes me worry we won't bother going after Graves or Gavrikov. On the whole, the team may have been better if we didn't sign Hirose (so we could get Gavrikov) but he is a great young player, honestly reminds me a lot of Hughes in his rookie year with his hockey IQ. He's not a physical tough guy though so maybe we target a cheaper big UFA. I'd be all over a guy like Soucy.

From the sounds of things Hughes has become more vocal in the locker room the last few months, I think he sees the captaincy vacant and Petey isn't particularly vocal so Hughes is going for it. I think naturally it's going to become Quinn's now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Nobody is saying the team doesn't need to upgrade at defense. Very limited in what the club can actually do without hurting their cap situation further while trying to upgrade. Very likely going to need to be patient with the contracts we all know are hindering the defense.

The rookies have stepped in nicely when needed and the two college signings have looked good in the literal few games they've played.

So yes the team relies heavily on goaltending and I am honestly surprised Demko has been able to return and play at a high level. Management has stated they want their team to be more responsible in their zone and take pressure of the goaltenders but end of the day they are part of the team and you don't apologize for good goaltending.

And as odd as it may seem, because I want Myers and his cap hit gone, I believe there's a good chance he shows up at camp and plays well next year. 

Simply because it's his contract year. 

If he really screws up, well, obviously that's his own doing. But it's amazing how most of these guys "focus" and shift it into overdrive when they're playing for their next contract. 

Which means, if he's playing well, plus Hronek at RD, that leaves only one other RD needed.