The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Apr. 11, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The whole thing is hard to process.  

I would have loved to stay bottom 5-6 this season after the way we blew it… better chance at Bedard but also likely a better player even if we don’t.  

OTOH we’re also trying to win next year - and Tocchet plus Demko’s return in particular seem like huge signs for optimism.  Management still has some serious work to do but once again this team has proven it has the talent to win more hockey games than it loses.  Petey, Hughes and Demko playing a ton is just the reality of our team right now.  Other team’s stars do the same thing.

Maybe it doesn’t sting as much to me since it’s clear management isn’t trying to build through the draft right now.  Maybe if we pick 11th we dangle it for a younger guy who can play 3C or D. At this point they may as well.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's fans like you and I and 82% of people on this forum and thousands on the Donnie & Dhali show who officially voted for a rebuild and all we've seen is Bo traded and BB6 + JTM resigned along with some peripheral tinker trades - and "Some" folks wonder why normal fans like you are upset.  Go figure????

Good on you - you are far from alone and part of the majority but now that we're stuck with this "retooling" instead of the "Major Surgery" (Rebuilding) that even JR finally broke down and admitted was required - like all normal Canucks fans have know has been required for years - but was prevented by Aqua-lini from doing, lets at least give JR until next year to prove he's on the right track.  If we're out of the playoffs for the 8th time in 9 years (again) next year, we'll unfortunately have to call for his dismissal and start all over again with the next GM - until Aqua-Lini finally sells the team to responsible owners which is the REAL SOLUTION.

Thanks! I just can’t understand people who are happy about wins like this. Some people just want a fun night out or a good time watching the game at home but those people are stupid

1 hour ago, Tank4Bedard said:

I rather pick 8th than 11th :). Similar to how we ended up with podkolzin instead of Zegras 

Bad analogy.

I’m perfectly okay with Podkolzin.

You are comparing a flamingo to a horse. Well, maybe that’s a bad analogy too. It’s like comparing apples to oranges & I think Podz will have greater value to his team over time, than perhaps even Zegras will have to his.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Elias Pettersson taken #5 ... 

I bet there are a lot of people who still say ... I'd rather have taken 2nd that year (Nolan Patrick).

I think that our management had Makar and Heiskanen 2 and 3, and Petey at 4 right behind them that year. 

39 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

anyone know where petey was projected to be drafted?, pretty sure the rangers wanted to draft him but ended up with andersson. i wanted glass in that draft but wasnt upset with the pick, just didnt really know anything about petey, had high hopes for OJ but i think his injurys really screwed him over, sucks.

Several individual milestones tonight. Obviously Petey getting to 100 pts is the big one. But Demmer finally gets his save percentage for the season over 90%. And Miller gets to 80 pts, which is pretty good. The way he has played in the second half this season makes his new cap hit look ok.

I am glad Tocchet put Miller on Petey's  line tonight.  That is not the best set-up for the team but it is best way to get points for those guys, and  that is what we wanted tonight.

Continue to be impressed by Hirose and McWard also looked pretty good.

With Petey's 100 pts out of the way I am definitely hoping for a loss in the final game. I say rest Petey, Hughes, Miller and Demko.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yay for 11th place. I was hoping since we had such a crap season we would have gotten at least a top ten pick. We won’t likely even get that and people are praising all they have done like it was a successful year. It’s funny how ok some are on here to see the season end this way. We will get an ok pick, it just feels like we lost in so many ways this year. 

Nobody in the organization, no players, no coaches nobody is going into their day at work hoping to fail or come up short. This is a garbage fan and some media mindset. 

Sure getting a very good pick would be awesome, sure there was an illusion of a perceived bump with a large amount of games against poorer teams. But this management group has started to be able to produce their vision and they have the people in place now that they want and believe will turn things around.

Its a loser mentality to hope for a better and better pick. Its a positive to see the changes the team has made in its game and I'd rather see a team try and go down swinging then just lose out to get a good pick.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sepultura said:

You think I’m a troll because I hate that this team is stuck in mediocrity and it looked like we were getting a for sure top 7 pick until they go on a tear and start all of a sudden playing like every game is for the Stanley cup. This team is directionless and it’s infuriating 

Yes. Some times you just gotta bite the bullet and do things effectively and efficiently. Other teams are doing it. Chicago, Anaheim.. There are 32 teams in this league, it takes something special to be the cream of the crop; the top 5 team out of 32 teams. 

Being a mindless team with no blueprint and vision will not get you there. And i dont think retooling what we currently have on hand will get us anywhere. There is history to prove it and that is our performance the past 3 seasons. 

Do we have a bright future with the road we are taking? I guess..? 
but look at the core teams like Ottawa and Buffalo have already assembled. Each have at least 4-5 young solid rising pieces. We have… Pettersson, Hughes and may be Demko. 

Happy to see Petey break 100 points and Canucks win as I did not think they would lose to a team who has dropped 11 straight..  I am actually glad the season is coming to an end - been quite a roller coaster ride this season with all the goings on - glad the Canucks have improved their play - but not so glad at the expenses for draft position as they have now passed two teams and cut their odds from 6 -3.5% - however you need only need 1 ticket to win..

Good that OTT finished strong to help us lock into the Bedard sweepstakes as I believe we would have passed them if they had not won the last two - 

Who knows - maybe the 10-12th ranked teams get the two picks this year.as a reward. Guess I have to follow Kraken Jets Oilers in playoffs for this year at least.

Will be an interesting summer in Vancouver for sure.

3 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Last 2 minute of the game with Duck on PP and the coach refusal to pull its goalie even with faceoff win is the reason why we need to decrease the lottery odd to make it even all across the board from 17 to 32.   They are not even trying and Bettman said teams don't tank and Ducks clearly are tanking.

Bitter that they’re better at it than we are?

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes! Love us winning. We need to win that last one do we climb over the .500 mark. 

Actually, since there is a 0.5% difference between 10-11 position (highly doubt Detroit or Washington will do much to affect their current standing) - why not go out on a winning note?  Will be an important audition for some players on the bubble anyway.  So yes, lets cheer for a win in the finale.

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Henrik

Daniel

Bure

Naslund

Mogilny

Pettersson

Incredible to think he's in that company, but now he is.

And he is still only 24 years old.... Hopefully they build a team around him that is worthy of him... his talent deserves that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sepultura said:

We’ll probably pick around 13-15 next year too. This team is a great example and lesson on how to stay stuck in the mud for years. What a bunch of friggin scumbags. I seriously hate this team. Big 2 points dirtbags

You do know friend, there are another 31 NHL teams you can follow, if it makes you feel this bad?

I doesn't sound healthy... 

• Like 1