The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Apr. 11, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Another wasted season comes to an end.didn't tank to maximize draft position didn’t compete or look competitive for most of the season 

a season ending winning streak fueled   by hot goaltending 

once again leaves the  illusion that the coaching change had the desired  effect.

now we wait for the draft lottery disappointment.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, combover said:

Another wasted season comes to an end.didn't tank to maximize draft position didn’t compete or look competitive for most of the season 

a season ending winning streak fueled   by hot goaltending 

once again leaves the  illusion that the coaching change had the desired  effect.

now we wait for the draft lottery disappointment.

There is no illusion regarding the coaching change. BB’s tenure involved hot goaltending and offence to drive that win streak. RT’s time has included improvement on how to play the right way and defend properly. 

This team is now better than last season for overall play.

Also, players and coaches do not tank. Every team plays their best players to win. At the end of the day we still employed young players to get their feet wet.

We will still draft a good player. All is not lost.

The team will be in the playoffs next year. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They wanted Tocchet to come in now, not wait until the summer.  That way, Tocchet, along with Foote and Gonchar, could evaluate all of the players during actual NHL games to see what needs to be done in the summer.  Hiring him in the summer doesn't accomplish that, Tocchet would go into training camp cold as ice on what players he likes and dpesn't like.  Also, it would be too late to make decisions on trades, free agent signings, etc.

The fact that Tocchet and his team have been here 3 months now allows them to go into the summer knowing full well what changes need to be made.  At the end of the day, we were not going to get a top 4 pick in this draft even if Boudreau stuck around.  No way we are 20 points down from where we are now unless Demko doesn't come back and we play our AHL players top minutes.  That would be the only way we could have squeezed into the bottom 4 and management chose not to do that...

That's a fair point re evaluation which I will concede. And I will say that I like the assistant coaching hires.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with this.  However, as you mentioned, the cap hit is the issue.  Wolanin, Brisebois and Hirose all make league minimum wage.  OEL is on the books for $7.26 million.  Saying that OEL is #2 on the depth chart for LHD isn't saying much if you are comparing him to AHL Dmen making less than $1 million.  

Nobody is happy with OEL making 7.2 million, but replacing him in a hypothetical world would mean signing a UFA like Gavrikov or someone else.  

Legit 2nd pairing d-man would cost... How much? My guess is in the 4 million range. 

I also feel it's a little unfair to guys like Wolanin and Brisebois to label them as AHL d-men for life and ignore the slow and steady  improvements they've made to their game. 

In any case, the OEL buyout should be the absolute last resort. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Nobody is happy with OEL making 7.2 million, but replacing him in a hypothetical world would mean signing a UFA like Gavrikov or someone else.  

Legit 2nd pairing d-man would cost... How much? My guess is in the 4 million range. 

I also feel it's a little unfair to guys like Wolanin and Brisebois to label them as AHL d-men for life and ignore the slow and steady  improvements they've made to their game. 

People also assume Gavrikov will just re-sign here for peanuts. We might end up with an AHL defence again if we go that route. Whatever happens tonnes of risk and we really have to hope management nail it. I would love to be watching meaningful Canucks hockey next spring.

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If OEL was getting paid $4 million we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  The problem is he's getting paid to be a top pairing Dman.  With Quinn Hughes at almost $8 million and Filip Hronek probably in the $7 million range after next season, we shouldn't be paying any other Dman more than $4-5 million.  If you can bring in a guy like Gavrikov for $5 million, then that is totally doable for the 2nd pairing role. 

Buying out OEL IS a last resort.  The question is do you want to run with him one more year on your 2nd pairing at $7.26 million?  Also, is he the best fit for Hronek?  If the answer is no to both those questions and you want to simply throw him onto the 3rd pairing just to save on the buyout, then that isn't really going to help us.  It only makes the situation worse.  

We are not in a position we should be building through UFAs. 
We are not a good team looking to compliment what we have, we are still trying to build the basics of a team around the core group and the UFA market is worst place to do that. We also have a huge cap hit coming for EP and Hronek, so best keep about $20M cap space for those 2 after next season. 
All this says to me, we will burn everything (first rounders included) to get cap space this year, spend it like a drunken Benning and have some really tough decisions to make next year when can’t fit EP and Hronek under the cap 

20 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

They haven’t won since then and it’s been 10+ years since JB’s departure.. not meant as an “in defence of Benning” post but this is a huge stretch. 

All true. But, which of the 2 franchises has been in the mix come playoff time since then? And, which one has been in the lottery? 

19 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Everyone knew BB wasn't getting extended. He was never going to be our coach next season. All that negative PR was unnecessary. My point was that RT could have been hired in the off season so we could have had the coaching bump next year when it would actually matter. The lottery is about odds; we likely would have finished aroud Philly/Arizona. These are meaningless games that won't affect the 'culture' next season.

So, lose on purpose then? You are seriously delusional if you believe that is the mindset of a professional athlete or team Coach. 

14 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You shouldn't criticize Tocchet for doing his job. Having really good individual stats (Pettersson, Horvat, Miller 99points, Demko last season, Hughes, Kuzmenko) but really poor team performance is actually the glaring problem for this team and a recurring theme. In a sense, Tocchet is hired to correct that. So it's actually quite positive he is not lost and keeps on stressing on team performance. 

I’m criticizing him for his crustiness in a time where some love & appreciation were well warranted for the way all those points that Petey has were obtained. But, apparently he doesn’t want to acknowledge EP40 that way. People play this game for plenty of reasons…respect just being one of them.

Acknowledging the importance of team play is great, but if he can’t appreciate the opportunity to acknowledge some things worth modelling in that key public relations moment…hmmm, then he may been more Keenan-seque than we may want. As a fan, on behalf of EP, I expected & hoped for something better. 

I guess we can expect another benching of Kuzmenko instead of just letting the guys help him get his 40th. It reminds me of the “Heritage Classic Game” in VAN when Tortorella refused to play Luongo & rewarded Eddy Lack with that once in a lifetime honour, instead. It’s about respect vs stripping players of their dignity for your power-mongering, core-busting, petty character-testing &/or soul-crushing purposes. Whatever that decision to defy the collective will of the fans & the players was…??

I don’t know where Tocchet ranks on the “tyrannical” coaches scale, but I do hope the will of the players & the fans, in certain moments, ranks some consideration at times, because that can buoy us & the players up signifigantly, as well.

Just sayin’….we pay, they play & coaches work or not - due to the inclinations of both. 

Edited by viking mama

1 hour ago, Fakename70 said:

So, lose on purpose then? You are seriously delusional if you believe that is the mindset of a professional athlete or team Coach. 

No not lose on purpose. We ended up getting a new coach bump at the absolute worst time. RT could have been hired in the summer, BB could have sailed off into the sunset, the Canucks could have saved some seriously negative PR with fans and folks around the league. That's all I'm saying.

24 minutes ago, viking mama said:

I’m criticizing him for his crustiness in a time where some love & appreciation for the way all those points Petey has were obtained. But, apparently he doesn’t want to acknowledge EP40 that way. People play this game for plenty of reasons…respect just being one of them.

Acknowledging the importance of team play is great, but if he can’t appreciate the opportunity to acknowledge some things worth modelling in that key public relations moment…hmmm, then he may been more Keenan-seque than we may want. As a fan, on behalf of EP, I expected & hoped for something better. 

I guess we can expect another benching of Kuzmenko instead of just letting the guys help him get his 40th. It reminds me of the “Heritage Classic Game” in VAN when Tortorella refused to play Luongo & instead rewarded Eddy Lack with that once in a lifetime honour, instead. It’s about the respect vs stripping players of their dignity for your power-mongering, core-busting, petty character-testing &/or soul/crushing purposes. Whatever that decision to defy the collective will of the fans & the players was…??

I don’t know where Tocchet ranks on the “tyrannical” coaches scale, but I do hope the will of the players & the fans, in certain moments, ranks some consideration at times, because that can buoy us & the players up signifigantly, as well.

Just sayin’….

Basically Tocchet's being a professional, not getting distracted, remaining focused while you are commenting as a causal and saying why aren't we celebrating things. 

I'm glad Tocchet's not forgetting his job; hes got a big task on hand to get us into the playoffs next year. 

47 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

No not lose on purpose. We ended up getting a new coach bump at the absolute worst time. RT could have been hired in the summer, BB could have sailed off into the sunset, the Canucks could have saved some seriously negative PR with fans and folks around the league. That's all I'm saying.

I think you might be amongst the select few who apparently still can’t sleep at night because the Canucks sacked Bruce Boudreau. Were you similarly tortured when it happened the same way to his less-popular predecessor?

9 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I think you might be amongst the select few who apparently still can’t sleep at night because the Canucks sacked Bruce Boudreau. Were you similarly tortured when it happened the same way to his less-popular predecessor?

Actually, I'm just getting up from a full 8 hours and feeling pretty well rested. You can read my previous posts on the matter if you seek a more comprehensive explanation. Cheers.