The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PROPOSAL - (VAN/VEGAS)

We could, but I think we could try for someone developed like Hague or Whitecloud instead -- they've only got around $3 million in cap space and they need to sign or replace Barbashev, Blueger, Howden, Kessel and 3 of their goalies in Quick, Hill and Brossoit.  Since Wolanin and Hirose are presumably ahead of Rathbone in our depth chart, we can send him to a cap strapped team to get an asset in exchange for helping to free up their cap space.  

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

We could, but I think we could try for someone developed like Hague or Whitecloud instead -- they've only got around $3 million in cap space and they need to sign or replace Barbashev, Blueger, Howden, Kessel and 3 of their goalies in Quick, Hill and Brossoit.  Since Wolanin and Hirose are presumably ahead of Rathbone in our depth chart, we can send him to a cap strapped team to get an asset in exchange for helping to free up their cap space.  

Lehner is expected back next season and Thompson is also under contract.  CapFriendly shows them with a roster of 21 (assuming Lehner healthy) - it gives them 3.4M to add maximum 2 players. 

If Lehner can't go then roster of 20 and 8.4M in cap space to add maximum 3 players. 

Their cap situation doesn't look all that dire.  Their core is already under contract.  Barbashev/Blueger were TDL adds + Kessel has been benched at times - not players that they are necessarily looking to bring back.  If they want to move on from Lehner than things are going to be more challenging, but Vancouver likely not the team to help them out with that contract.

It may be just me but I don't think Rathbone is anywhere near as NHL ready as some think.

Watching the Abby highlights this year (sadly, never saw a game in person this season), he's making some pretty unacceptable defensive blunders quite regularly down there that would only be magnified at the NHL level.  Not saying the 'b' word whatsoever, but to me he definitely is not ready for regular duty at the NHL level - his limited NHL action this season would seem to back this up, no?  

21 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Vegas isn't actually that bad for space heading into next season. They have a little under 3.5 million in actual cap space and then Lehner will likely spend the rest of his contract on LTIR which means, Vegas has another 5 million available, which they have proven in past, that they are willing to spend into.

Their core players are all locked up, they have about 20 guys set for next season, they can probably fill out the lineup with 800k - 1 million contracts and be ready for another playoff run next season, picking up more guys at the deadline again.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Hague would be ideal. 

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

To Vegas - LD - Jack Rathbone 

To Van - RD  - Kaedan Korczak 

Jack has shown a lot more offensive upside and that he is more NHL ready. Kaeden is more of a project but has size and grit which we need in this position

This is my ideal target, based on age/contract/scouting report (haven’t seen him play yet). He’s also absolutely buried in their depth, and has NHL spot duty experience.

Not sure how much of a project he is - was listed as one of their top prospects before he was called up this year. 

As for what Vegas needs, I could see Hoglander being a better fit, but I’d be thrilled if they wanted Rathbone. 

I don't think Vegas really need cap space, they've got all their main guys locked up, they just have some decisions with UFAs - a lot of them who walk they can replace internally. Any trade they make they'll be looking to get better at now. I'm not sure if Rathbone fits their defensive structure - they really go for big, strong shutdown-type defencemen, unless they want to complement that with a puck mover.

I don't think Jack is strong enough defensively for that franchise. 

Hoglander for one of their young defencemen might be a different story though - they could use a cheap bottom-6 winger to come in with all their UFAs up for renewal and likely too costly to keep. I'd really like to keep Hogs after how well he's doing this year, but that'd probably suit Vegas more...

On 4/22/2023 at 2:14 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think Vegas really need cap space, they've got all their main guys locked up, they just have some decisions with UFAs - a lot of them who walk they can replace internally. Any trade they make they'll be looking to get better at now. I'm not sure if Rathbone fits their defensive structure - they really go for big, strong shutdown-type defencemen, unless they want to complement that with a puck mover.

I don't think Jack is strong enough defensively for that franchise. 

Hoglander for one of their young defencemen might be a different story though - they could use a cheap bottom-6 winger to come in with all their UFAs up for renewal and likely too costly to keep. I'd really like to keep Hogs after how well he's doing this year, but that'd probably suit Vegas more...

Yep - I think myself and others have proposed Hoglander for Korczak. 

bring Schenn back to mentor him (both SK boys), and groom him for Quinn’s partner?

Hughes Schenn

OEL Hronek 

Tryamkin Korczak 

Wolanin Juulsen