The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

Mitchell *was* offered a contract.  Only it was only a one year contract.  Sounds reasonable (from the POV of management) since he wasn't yet cleared to play to my knowledge at the time of the offering.  Mitchell naturally was looking for security & wanted a longer term deal.  This wasn't like letting Tanev & Edler walk without offering them anyhow (forget losing them as assets for...nothing).

No question that Ballard was a *HORRIBLE* pro scouting evaluation.  You'd think a guy that was his head coach (Bowness) would've known that he would've been an *AWFUL* fit for the team.

15 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

Agreed. The way I see it, Bo, a #2C turning into: a #2RHD, middle six winger, and a prospect is a win in my mind. Soucy and Cole are upgrades in addition to that. 

Not saying we have everything we need but we're clearly getting better

Norm Macdonald Snl GIF

• Haha 1
  • There it is 1

On 7/30/2023 at 6:08 AM, IBatch said:

Mitchell.   To this day believe he was the missing ingredient.   Going after Ballard and Booth with all that saved cap space ... Should just signed Mitchell.   Instead he signs with LA and becomes part of what could have been a nice run for us the following year.    Nothing against Rome and Alberts... But Mitchell instead ... he was our best D for a couple seasons leading up to his concussion.   Thing is ... he was ok.    And even if he just played half a season, the latter half ... he didn't cost LA much to sign and wouldn't have cost much for us either.   Mitchell was one of the better D's we've had since the late 2000's. 

Mitchell was a great defenseman for Vancouver who would have stayed and retired a Canuck. That was Gillis' biggest mistake as a GM. Thinking that Mitchell was done.

fail black and white GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Again, Mitchell was offered a contract by Gillis.  Mitchell took the better offer from LA.  Mitchell chose not to retire as a Canuck (and rightly so from his POV).

Gillis biggest mistake was not using a buyout on Ballard *ASAP*(which was apparent pretty quick it was an TERRIBLE acquisition).

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek has the shot that Hughes doesn't.  You can play them together on the PP with Hronek on the half wall.  Or Hronek is the big threat on the 2nd unit PP.  Either way, he's a huge addition to the PP...

Great points! Especially the shot that Hughes is lacking. Fills a major hole that we've lacked for a while.

He's going to be a stabilizing force. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Great points! Especially the shot that Hughes is lacking. Fills a major hole that we've lacked for a while.

He's going to be a stabilizing force. 

It means one less 3rd pairing defenseman on the team taking top 4 minutes.  That's a huge plus in my books.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly! Less guys playing over their heads, scrambling. 

Imagine have more than one defensive pairing (any pairing Hughes is on is the other sound D pairing) that isn't bleeding scoring chances against?  Add that with Tocchet's coaching.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Imagine have more than one defensive pairing (any pairing Hughes is on is the other sound D pairing) that isn't bleeding scoring chances against?  Add that with Tocchet's coaching.

Just need to give it time, imo. It was good that Allvin didn't make long term commitments this offseason. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We added 4 RHD to the team in a matter of 6 months.  Hronek, Willander, Brzustewicz, Celebrini.  We haven't had this much RHD talent on the team in forever.  Maybe never.  Finally we have a GM who actually addresses the most coveted position in hockey...

Agree 100%.  This management group has done a real nice job building out our depth chart.

I do think that McWard was a sneaky good signing as well, I am really interested in seeing how he progresses this year after a pretty good sophomore year at OSU.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Agree 100%.  This management group has done a real nice job building out our depth chart.

I do think that McWard was a sneaky good signing as well, I am really interested in seeing how he progresses this year after a pretty good sophomore year at OSU.

Yes I agree.  I forgot to mention him.  That is 5 RHD in 6 months....

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Just Imagine if we didn't have Hronek right now.  Who would be in our top 4 RHD?  Myers and Juulsen?  Scary...

We might not even have Myers by October, Cole has the spot as he can play the right side and Woo is in there and been “slowly” cooking in Abby…though glad we have WillWall in the pipeline.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2